Is the 6.8 western gaining traction or did the 7mm prc finish it off?

sneaky

"DADDY"

WRO

WKR
Lots. I have 2 6.8 and a 1-8 270 wsm. I also own my own property and hunt and shoot a lot. The 170 berger is a hammer and has a similar bc to the 156 berger I can say it drops game much more dramatically them the 140 berger 6.5, at least out of the creedmoor which I have also used a bit. So did the 7mm /168 out of 7mm wsm. I also dont stick with one bullet type as try many in many different cartridges as I like to test things. I have killed game with 165 matrix, 165 ablr, 170 btip, 170 berger, 175 tgk in last few years and that is multiple of each except the 170 btip which is only 1 so far. I have about 250 170 bergers left on hand since you asked

The reality from your posts Form is you are stuck on eldms as being the best game bullet and will dismiss anything that does not use that bullet. It is a nice bullet but it is not a hunting bullet. All of the hunting heavy 7mm/6.5 bullets are similar bc to heavy .277 cal. There is no magic. And you are right the 6.8 does not do anything the 6.5/7 prc do not. However it does more than 6.5 prc and nearly as much as the 7 prc. Whether there ends up being market there or not is tbd but if you want more performance/heavier bullets than a 6.5 prc but not the recoil of a 7prc/300 mag get the 6.8W.

You folks keep dissing the 270 wsm but it was no different than the prcs. It came out and everybody made ammo for it and chambered it. The Jamison lawsuit and royalty derailed it some but it is still well supported. The RS darling Tikka still chambers for it let alone Win, Browning, Savage, CA (probably others)and I have recently seen Win, Horn, Barnes, and Nosler ammo for it. Both Peterson and ADG making brass for it this year. Not bad for a dead cartridge. How’s that 300/338 rcm support? So, when you think you are a prognosticator at least look outside of your small world. There are a lot of 27 cal fans who like the balance it offers for hunting…

Lou

I’ve killed 20 animals conservatively with ELDMs over the last 7 years, they work just as good as a Berger or better in my experience.

The 277 is pointless as a caliber (most are) there’s nothing that it does better than a 6.5 or 7. The 6.8 western is the dildo with a lazer beam of cartridges. You see it, oh wow that’s neat, but what purpose does it actually serve..

The reason that no one makes many high bc 277 bullets is because the vast majority of rifles in existence aren’t twisted properly for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzby

WKR
Christensen and Fierce are in the same building

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
So are browning and Winchester. So basically one major manufacturer is supporting 6.8w (in rifles and ammo). And 1-2 niche companies.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed 20 animals conservatively with ELDMs over the last 7 years, they work just as good as a Berger or better in my experience.

The 277 is pointless as a caliber (most are) there’s nothing that it does better than a 6.5 or 7. The 6.8 western is the dildo with a lazer beam of cartridges. You see it, oh wow that’s neat, but what purpose does it actually serve..

The reason that no one makes many high bc 277 bullets is because the vast majority of rifles in existence aren’t twisted properly for them.

So, what you are saying is you can just replace the 6.5/7mm with 1 277. Nice!

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
American sniper… 300 mag got the dirty harry 44 mag like kick with the sniper crowd from the book / movie. Jumped over 7mag as most popular magnum rifle cartridge

Lou

Unckebob

WKR
all you need to know about Winchester and how they support their ammo supply/choice is this - go try and find ammo for the 270wsm, the 7wsm, the 325wsm, or even the more popular 300wsm. almost non-existent and when you do find it the price is crazy because of that. winchester sucks, period. aint no way in hell I would choose a 6.8W over a 6.5prc or 7prc. I handload and still wouldnt do it. go look on GB...they cant move those 6.8W's. for good reason...nobody wants or needs one. maybe they should have just supported the 270wsm instead of coming up with another failure!

When I look at 6.8 Western rifles on Gunbroker, they seem to have prices similar to the prices for rifles of the same feature set.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Do it. You don’t need to justify it to us. It’ll pair nice with your non-existent LabRadar LX.
Decided against the Labradar LX. Happy with my ProChrono DLX. I certainly don’t need justification from any wanna be internet heroes to buy a rifle. The only reason i posted about it was to see if anyone had such an interest or knew anything about it.

450 Bushmaster is only relevant because of the hordes of whitetail hunters in states with straight wall cartridge restrictions. Without those restrictions, the 450 wouldn't be a blip in sales.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The point I made wasn't about the efficacy or properties of .450 Bushmaster, just that it is in Hornady's top 5 centerfire rifle cartridge sales every year for almost a decade now. That point was made because someone on here was making a ridiculous claim that dedicated "shooters" like those in PRS or 3-gun types bought more ammo every year than the hunting market, which is patently absurd.

wyosam

WKR
This argument about these two cartridges that do the same thing as a whole bunch of other cartridges has gone on for an impressively long time. Kudos to all involved.