Backcountry rifle hunters, ammo quantity?

Matt5266

WKR
Like the title says, I'm curious how much ammo fellow back country backpack hunters carry? I usually carry about 10 rounds I guess. Doesnt matter if its 2 nights or 7 nights. Wondering if I should carry more since I usually have multiple tags. I'm a Idaho resident, so this time of year I have a deer tag, bear, mountain lion, and wolf tags in my pocket.

Appreciate the insight

Scorpion

WKR
Usually about 8-10 when backpack hunting, think I took 28 on our horseback hunt. Had three in the mag, 4 extra in the pack, threw a 20 round box in my duffle.

Glad I took some extra. Horse beat the crap out of my rifle on the way in and I had to check my zero. Thankful to be shooting suppressed where it was a non issue.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I normally have a box of 20 with me and another box in camp. I do not want to run out, especially in Griz country!

ever have a rodeo? expecially at the edge of a ridge on steep ground? Amazing how fast ammo goes when things go sideways.

I keep a box of shells plus whats in the gun.

Geewhiz

WKR
ever have a rodeo? expecially at the edge of a ridge on steep ground? Amazing how fast ammo goes when things go sideways.

I keep a box of shells plus whats in the gun.
Learned that the hard way before. Ended up with a half alive elk and no more ammo. I was about 14 at the time, I’ll let your imagination determine the outcome of that event. Needless to say I’m glad there was nobody around to watch.

ztc92

WKR
3 in rifle, two more 5-round mags, one in bino harness and one in pack. More loose rounds in the pack or in the truck depending on how far in we are. Usually 15-20 rounds total.

WCB

WKR
I carry a full box. What ever my gun fits usually 3-4. A gun full in my bino pouch (thats 6-8 total) 2-4 (rest of the 10rd sleeve) in vest or jacket pocket...then another 10rds/half box in my pack. I usually bring 2-3 boxes in my truck on any given hunt just because.

BBob

WKR
One 3 rnd mag in the rifle and one spare 5 rnd mag. Never in my life have I ever needed more than two and even two is rare. I don't do rodeo's, I've watched them but they aren't for me :ROFLMAO: