AKEK CLIMAX 5400 REVIEW / A NEW CONTENDER

Consumers today have a lot to decide on when choosing gear. One of those pieces of equipment that can make or break your hunt is your pack. AKEK is a company that not only has made the shift to provide quality products made in the United States, but are willing to listen to consumer feedback and change the faults in their gear.

I have used multiple packs from many different companies ranging in daypacks to expedition style bags. I have used old Alice packs from my days in the military, and I have used the high end lightweight packs meant to keep you in the field for weeks at a time. All of which I can say have been very purposeful.

The team at AKEK were kind enough to give me a pack to test and give feedback on. After an extensive review, I can say that they have done something that can shift the tide of high end packs to something more affordable for the everyday hunter. Being a Montana-based company, they are in the heart of some of the best big game hunting in America. They have multiple sized bags that can fit your needs, but their bags are also so versatile, you might only need one for every hunt.

Specs
I was able to pull these specifications straight from their website.
  • 500D Cordura Nylon very durable bag material
  • Large YKK waterproof zippers
  • Ultra strong but lightweight carbon fiber frame 25” tall rated for 150 lbs
  • Extra comfortable padded shoulder straps with 4 way adjustability
  • Adjustable padded hip belt system that allows for waist sizes from 28” to 47”
  • Hip belt system includes removable pockets to accommodate MOLLE accessories
  • 4 main locking strap buckles: Quick one-handed adjustments
  • Waterproof bottom: The bottom 6” of the pack is waterproof, allowing you to set your pack down in the mud or snow but still keep your gear dry
  • Rain Cover included
  • Removable lid for extra inches on extended hunts. Internally to the lid, you have shoulder straps for quick, quiet stalks with water bladder compatibility.
  • Quick release rifle harness with a butt cover that can be switched to either side of the pack.
  • Load shelf included for packing in large quantities of gear or packing out game bags filled with meat.
  • Roll top lid for extra space capabilities on extended hunts / also has the ability to cinch down to a very flat pack for a more ergonomic look and feel when walking through brush
  • 2 External detachable pockets for quick access or to be stuffed in top lid when going on stalks
  • Buckles on the sides of the bag are locking to ensure that when you have a heavy pack, there will be no loosening while you are moving through different terrain.
  • Large, external, zippered pockets on both sides of pack to allow room for large spotting scope, tent, water bladder/bottle, or extra quick access equipment in emergencies.
  • Square hip belt pockets w/ YKK zippers
  • Stretchable zippered pocket on outside of beavertail
  • Internal to bag:
    • Beavertail zipper to access the main compartment of the bag with ease. Zippered mesh compartment on beavertail
    • 2 mesh pockets on either side
    • 2 waterproof bag cells with a quick detach buckle on either side to be attached closer to the zipper or closer to the pack frame
First Impression
When I pulled the pack out of the box, I first noticed how robust the pack as a whole was. I have not gotten my hands on the Gen1, but they have taken no shortcuts with the quality of the zippers, buckles, seams, and the placement of all the different attributes you get with the pack. There is no space left unused which is something I liked.

t8Ho-zj-7LgpUPnscOqqhwGa_98IubQis8aOqZMVm1o2wprtqARmDbQ-Mg-OKVtsUngQsz-9Qd4WIIKChNv1LrrN5ejZnQDqAZTC83NApuPKKeIiCQCZUAu9b597XH8Z3n34-3InyvxILWcmQQeq70A

kYVGEnPsr65DVm6Mk-iVpDPPPVhiNF02SWsnUCXUcZM86S0WiRdz9cvqabBDYf-74ReNN1vICqv4D4JMSrZLsKQagNhF9IM4-lFKf8ijxulUpcjQNLT5WHjc0R9AnDyK7R8RcDtfCNYhvofAO3-o_gE

This would be a day pack/minimal version without the top lid. It straps down to less than the thickness of a 1.5 liter bottle diameter.

1680374631649.jpeg
The the bag separates from the frame very easily compared to my other bags and the adjustable load shelf and straps make it very easy to adjust to the size of the load you want to carry. The bottom of the load shelf is above the lumbar pad which helps take weight off your hips, making it more comfortable for extended hikes.
Something that I individually liked about this pack is the height of the frame. I am 5'10 and have a slightly shorter torso. The top of the frame is not much of an issue with my neck in terms of mobility.

BcZFhOvzg60Zox8kZuE8l14QvlvlIe2xsV6JoU3M-0qmg7PssyDAb9oKCtS944fw5kg0aWBz8i8LXZFRKchbCxO_cbkWDCPAnrFTkJEf4wqfrnrlETN0uj-d6lTWPeFzYNRaBMAAoKCoO4Pva57QLDQ
The side pockets on the bag provide enough size to fit a large spotting scope or more. For reference, this is a Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85. There was enough room to fit that and some. These are also separate from the main bag and will not be hindered too much if you have a large amount of gear already in your bag.

Rojwga3sNfHXa51yIZD5kZfJSQ7AZK_EYyUzgYV5165DkCMeSmZtFhFUbtfjX2CpzV-N1G-i8WBPo6eeIGlLRelSvZS0WhjW2hTn7Qm_YA6U-Ygv32icRz7d4yq6-5po3SqAtrvcFcZZV8m-rKf2_yc

jjvDy77sEzv93M6b9pSxh2dz-3DvrNV4qkHtrsUUdFtPZLIXwFJ3Dc1XNY40y_15zpyaJWMV_V0zG88G9738Jo8jhfe8QHSLRbblYMJLAqorhpHFLEzDIFBTwEKLeNW330K6kCzCeqldLL8E-xQ4gsU

The beavertail unzips to the bottom of the bag to offer full access to the main compartment. There is a zippered mesh pocket on the inside, as well as a stretchy external pocket for quick access items. There is no water bladder pouch in this one, although I don’t tend to use them as much anymore.

In The Field
Because I received this pack in the off season, I was not able to take it on a hunt before I posted this review. But I will let you know how this pack held up on an overnighter in the winter I took it on. Because of the weather here in Idaho, I needed to pack a few more layers for warmth than normal. I also decided to pack what I would normally bring on a scouting trip ie. spotter, tripod.
I was able to get all of my gear in there comfortably and with plenty of room for more. I have done plenty of backpack hunts before. I can say this would hold up to about 3-4 days of equipment in a late season and 6-7 days for an early season pending what you would normally bring.

I also took this pack on a 2 mile hike around my house (flat terrain) and continued to put weight in the pack before I was not able to comfortably carry it. I was able to reach 120 lbs by the time it was said and done.

AMveEsSEDftbKxt7kZ1BZ4DiUyPZG-7AKKSpkLrlNbWfTwzc1gw_xZm-3JRo2NmtbKfR-xzOBjuMtsSNiefa0gHBLsUGqihmIKeNqnX4-S7OmtglGqM1srSO7tSM37pZ3l7xph2GSA8H01ik63X_F-0

The craftsmanship of this pack truly took me by surprise. The people I have worked with on this review have all agreed this pack and this company are doing something that should be noticed. For the comfortability, adaptability, and the price point, this is a pack and a company that has set their bar high in quality and kept the consumer in mind through it all.
I am a gear nut at heart and appreciate quality materials in anything I use. At $529, this pack for the quality and capacity rivals other companies in many different ways. Not the mention all the different pieces of equipment that come with the pack itself.

I would appreciate any feedback you have on my review, as well as any questions that I might not have covered in this review. I encourage anyone who hasn't considered of this pack to take a look if you are looking for quality materials made in the USA. This pack is designed and made by hunters, for hunters.

@AKEK

Xavier

FNG
Hey Sean thanks for the solid review.
Curious how much this pack weighs empty? I can’t find anything on their website.