Gear list for myself and taking new hunters in the backcountry with horses.

Alright guys so my cousin and uncle both drew muzzleloader tags here in California for a 10 day long deer season in our county on central coast along with myself having a bear tag. Neither of them have been in the backcountry but are not first time hunters or riders by any means. I would like to just make sure I’m not forgetting anything since I will basically be the guide for this trip. Below is a break down of what I told them to bring, what I will need at camp, what I’m taking, and just some food ideas. Some items I told them not to bring I plan on loaning or not needing spares of like tents and water filters etc. I’m not sure how many days we will be gone and what elevation we will be at yet with how long we can get away and what the weather will look like but I do know it may be very cold and wet at the end of November going into December. I have enough horses for each of us to ride and also have one pack horse between us all. Take a look and see if I’m forgetting anything or should leave something or if you have a better recommendation on something instead of. Not all the food is going those are just some meal and side ideas and we will have a fire to cook over. Thanks for taking the time to look this over means a lot to me as I am very nervous with this trip being all on me and the responsibilities.

What I told them to bring:
-Backpack-that you can wear when horseback and big enough to carry some gear and able to pack out an animal
-Sleeping pad
-Sleeping bag-rated for cold weather
-Pillow-can use clothes bunched up also
-Thin tarp or tyvek sheet as ground cloth
-Binoculars
-Knives
-Game bags
-Headlamp-with extra batteries if not rechargeable and small flashlight or lamp
-Personal hygiene bag toilet paper, meds, chapstick, etc.
-Hydration tools-water bottle water bladder -something to drink coffee
-Lighter
-Some type of bowl or big mug for meals and coffee
-Utensil
-extra clothes to stay warm-think layering system

Communal gear:
-pan
-spatula
-paper plates
-coffee cone
-coffee filters
-trash bag
-gallon ziplocks
-soft coolers
-paper towels
-dish soap
-sponge
-Tarp
-Saw
-lantern

Wyatts gear:
-Kuiu pack and rain cover
-stuff sacks
-Bivy or Tent
-both pillows
-insulated sleeping pad
-Nemo sonic sleeping bag
-stove
-pot
-fuel
-lighter
-spork
-water bladder
-insulated bottle
-water filter
-knives
-sharpener
-trash bag
-game bags
-tags
-pen
-electric tape
-rubber gloves
-bino harness
-binos
-phone cam
-earplugs
-tripod
-bino adapter
-spotter
-pistol and shells
-rifle and shells
-leather man squirt
-fire starter
-extra lighter
-extra water filter
-extra chapstick
-leakow tape
-paracord
-first aid kit with everything needed
-garmin Inreach
-power bank
-headlamp
-flashlight
-hygiene bag toilet paper wet wipes powder face wipes toothbrush rash cream
-chair
-sit pad
-hunting shoes
-camp shoes
-clothes and rain gear
-bandana
-map

Tack:
-Saddles
-Blankets
-Bridal
-Halter
-Saddle bag
-Hobbles
-Pack saddle
-pack saddle pad
-long halter
-Panniers
-Canvas tarp
-Tie Clips
-Feed
-Riding boots

Menu:
-Dinner: seasoning, chili verde, tortillas, stew, bread, tri tip, beans pull open top, salad, pork loin, potatoes with onions and oil, cheese
-Breakfast: coffee, juice, doughnuts, pastries, biscottis
-Lunch: sandwiches, mountain house, snack stuff
-Dessert: cookies, candy
-Snacks: jerky, chips, bars, string cheese, dried fruit, nuts, chex mix, pretzels, etc.
-Drinks: alcohol, sport drinks, soda, water, milk

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I can think of maybe is tool kits for the rifles, screw drivers, Allen keys, torque bits, whatever type of drive they are using on the screws to hold everything together. Action or scope mount screws coming out on day three with some kind of oddball drive will put one in a poor mood.

And some tenacious tape for gear repair.

OP
BigCountry344
Only thing I can think of maybe is tool kits for the rifles, screw drivers, Allen keys, torque bits, whatever type of drive they are using on the screws to hold everything together. Action or scope mount screws coming out on day three with some kind of oddball drive will put one in a poor mood.

And some tenacious tape for gear repair.
I meant tenacious tape i don’t know why I put leakow tape.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I meant tenacious tape i don’t know why I put leakow tape.

Well I read your list twice before I responded and once more after my reply the third round I saw leakow tape which I've never heard of and was going to Google it today.
I thought you looked pretty good but my expensive never adulterated name brand made in the USA rifle fell apart on my last hunt so I threw in the tool kit.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Hoof picks and a roll of vet wrap maybe some wound wound dressing for the horses... Stuff happens.

rayporter

WKR
a zip tie will fix a Chicago screw. zip ties are handy
horn bag -water kept handy -snacks-multi tool[ cut your way out of wire]
curry comb-they lay some crap a lot
lash rope

agree with vet wrap- lots of uses. duct tape -full roll
disinfectant concentrate, a capfull will make a pint.
banamine
worm before you leave!!! there will be a change of diet! this helps prevent colic
do you need heath papers to travel?????--if out of state for sure
each guy should have a zip loc bag with patches and a piece of weed eater line to clear a barrel and wipe down rifle.-tape too
saw

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
You are 2 horses short, unless you aren't worried about killing your pack horse. 3 horses short if you plan on actually killing deer. With that few number horses you are WAY overloaded with gear.

Cull every pair of boots/shoes except your hunting boots. Cull every piece of non essential gear you have listed. Pistol, lantern, etc. You have at least 60lbs of gear there just for you, and it likely won't get lighter when you add hunters. That few of horses and you need to treat that like a backpack hunt, as if you kill something you will be walking out wearing those backpacks.

Spare shoe in each size they use, nails, hammer, rasp, Crazy Glue - you can stitch up a big hole in a horse with Crazy Glue. Brushes.

Rethink that list, and go lighter. Or borrow a couple of horses.

rayporter

WKR
i wont forget my first trip where we piled all the gear and began to pack-------------reality set in fast.

when packed half the gear was still on the ground,

I always tell anyone im doing this with that we are going backpacking. Have them pack fully self contained ready to backpack for 5 days then when they show up I toss their tent and we are ready to go. works like a charm. I pretty much do the same, my horse gear set doesn't change so I just add my backpack set up.

Looking back in there I agree you are going to be overweight per rider and maybe pack animal. Suggest 2 guys walk and take turns riding so you can pack 3 of the animals up and have one rider on the way in. after you burn through feed for you and the horses should be enough room for at two riders on the way out if your carrying two harvests.

Every since Robby put out his video of walking in with two animals packed I sold off down to two mules and that's how I do it now, its money set up for hunting. Much easier to handle 2 and not 3. So I pack my saddle up with feed and some duffle then load up the pack saddle with camp. Walk in and ride out.
Ive also just used both as packers and walked with two guys and that works well aslo. Again we go backpack style so your looking at 55 lbs eack guys set up and the rest goes to feed and horse gear.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Unless he's planning on multiple trips, I'm lucky that I have the time to slide in two or three days early to set up a base camp and always allow two extra days to pack out I'm usually set up for three days before I have to head back to pick up the company.

But then again he could have an all percheron line up 😂

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. Could be some real big stock. Ran into a guy a few years back about 30km back in as he was on his way out. Had a string of them, all matching color, all matching tack, very high class set up. One of those pack horses really stood out though, as he was over 17 hands high and wore a size 3 on all 4 corners. He had some big numbers on what those horses could pack, and with what I run I would have needed 6 pack ponies just to match what he had on the 3 pack horses.

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Good point. Could be some real big stock. Ran into a guy a few years back about 30km back in as he was on his way out. Had a string of them, all matching color, all matching tack, very high class set up. One of those pack horses really stood out though, as he was over 17 hands high and wore a size 3 on all 4 corners. He had some big numbers on what those horses could pack, and with what I run I would have needed 6 pack ponies just to match what he had on the 3 pack horses.

What is your definition of "pony"?