Backcountry nutrition...for horses/mules

PNWGATOR

WKR
Been reading all I can find about feeding horses in the backcountry. I've read about picketing, hobbling, hot wires and a combination thereof. Have also been reading about compressed bales, beet pulp, alfalfa cubes, pellets, etc. Want to make sure my animals are well cared for and need some help with "backcountry feeding 101" from summer scouting/flyfishing to early season archery to late season high country. Would really appreciate as many perspectives as possible so I can try them and find out what works for our animals in the mountains.

Have been thoroughly enjoying our horses and getting time in the saddle. Lots of new considerations and logistical challenges and this site and the experienced horse/mulemen have been a tremendous resource. Thank you!

rayporter

WKR
it is very hard to put them on the feed that they will eat a thousand miles from home. but take what you can with you in the truck or trailer. when traveling try to water often [ even though they wont drink] put them on salt or electrolytes a month before you leave to help with water intake. dont forget about the weed free certified feed. and teach them to eat from nose bags before you leave- they will waste a lot less feed.

i carry my own hay but am not allowed to take my hay to the NF. i always carry a certified bale [which they wont eat] in case i get stuck at the truck. and dont forget to get health papers -in case you get stopped out of state. also it is wise to pay attention or call ahead to the state you are going to to see if any unusual diseases are going around. it does happen and you may not be allowed back into your home state.

always worm them a month before you leave.

if you are not real into what drugs do what and/or are not good at giving shots at least get a tube of banamine paste and a tube of bute paste to carry in the truck -for colic.

carry a set of old shoes in the truck. someone may be able to put one on for you and the old shoes should already fit.

some vet wrap and disinfectant- the strong stuff to mix with water. and a roll of duct tape for cuts.

an old broken curry comb in your saddle bags.

packer58

WKR
All good advise, however cubed feed such as alfalfa or a blend is not hard to get your stock transitioned in to. Start supplementing their normal feed with cubes and wean them of their regular feed over the course of a couple months to allow their guts to adjust. Cubes are a processed feed and are weed free as far as I know and are easy to transport by horseback plus there is ZERRO WAIST.

I greatly prefer cubes over pellets. The smaller pellets are too easy for them to eat fast, and if you have a horse that is a pig they can get one stuck in their throat or nasal sinus. It's kind of spooky to watch a horse trying to snort out a pellet, whti green snot running out of their nose. The really bad thing is that they can aspirate the snot and get pneumonia from it.

I fed a lot of cubes over the years with no problems. I always tried to give them some grazing time, at least an hour a day. I would hobble one horse and turn the others completely loose. Give them a few cubes right by camp first thing, then when you get the bag out later it makes catching them easier.

Learn to put a highline up correctly so that you don't scar trees and leave unsightly messes where the horses were.

rayporter

WKR
just last month my buddy had a horse get a wad of feed caught in its throat and do that green snot thing. i went over and gave it a shot, but it was obvious that something would have to give or it would aspirate the feed or die trying to get it out.

a horse cant vomit but it sure looked like this one was, that much fluid was coming out.

wyosteve

WKR
I always pack an old coffee can full of sweet feed in the event one of the hayburners gets loose and plays the 'you can't catch me' game. They (at least my mules) can't resist the sweet feed, so= caught!

Beendare

WKR
My take; I've been with guys that just stake them out and aren't worried about getting back late......... and other folks that baby the crap out of their horses with all sorts of stuff. Both sets of animals seem to do OK.

Mules are a little less maintenance than horses it seems....for example, they get tangled up....they will stand there patiently waiting for you to untangle them. Horses on the other hand will freak out.....ripping their guts out trying to get loose.

It really depends on your animals. I think a hotwire corral is best (a high line at night) with a little supplemental grain. If they are rowdy Hobble them inside the hotwire.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Really appreciate all of the insight offerd, thank you! Think I have enough information to just get out and go do it and see how things go and adjust as needed based on the animals and available feed.

If there is plenty of grazing grass I don't see why there is a need for anything else. If you are working them extra hard a handful of gain goes a long way. Just make sure they have plenty of water.

But then again, I'm not one to bubble wrap my horses.