AZ coues 2023 Jan

We are hunting unit 31 in January 2023.. Anyone have any issues there?
I'm not trying to be a downer but I just want to make sure you understand the recent changes. You cannot definitively say you are doing that because OTC archery tags have NOT gone on sale for 2023 nonresidents yet. 2800ish tags are going on sale on December 1st for the 2023 OTC season to nonresidents. Once those are gone, they are gone so first you need to be in the 2800. From there, you will have to look at the units that have not had their harvest thresholds met yet. By January 1st, the harvest threshold could be met for 31, so you would have to find a different unit. It is more likely the mule deer threshold will be met but coues deer would still be open but we are just going to have to wait and see. And no, 31 is far enough from the border that you would not be having issues there.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Slightly highjacking, but also a little on topic. ha. I'm a mule deer guy and get to spend a lot of time in the mountains, but finally planning my first Coues venture. Seems like something I could end up liking too much. ha.
I'm planning to be in southern Az units from 4th or 5th of January through the end of the month - should get 13 full focused hunt days, then working remotely on some weekdays and hitting easy-access glassing spots for last light.

Of course I've been at the podcast/internet research, but would love to dm or get on a phone call and run a set of questions by any of you guys that know southern AZ. Happy to help with western Wyoming or Gunnison basin deer questions in return if that'd be helpful for you.

As I'm looking at the unit quotas and harvest totals so far, most units are a good ways beneath their quota still. Curious for all ya'lls thoughts on the January forecast based on where we're at now - will it stay steady, or will harvest rates pick up more through dec? I'll come with a hunt plan for each of the southern units, but seems like an unknown here year 1. Would be nice to stay ahead of the curve if I can.

Last edited:
Slightly highjacking, but also a little on topic. ha. I'm a mule deer guy and spend a lot of time chasing em, but coues also seem like they'll be right up my alley - finally sprung and bought an archery tag after dreaming and procrastinating a few years. I'm planning on being in southern AZ units from 4th or 5th of Jan through the end of the month. I'll get 13 full focused hunt days, then also working remotely in-between with evening easy-access glassing sessions.

Obviously been doing the podcast/internet research, but would love to dm or have a phone convo to run my set of questions by any of you guys that know southern AZ. Happy to reciprocate and answer any similar sorts of questions on western wyoming and gunnison basin deer if that's info you'd value. ;)

As I'm looking at the unit quotas and harvest totals so far, it seems most units are a good ways beneath their quota still. Curious for all ya'lls thoughts on the jan forecast based on where we're at now - will it stay steady, or will harvest rates pick up through dec and become problematic? I'm e-scouting hunt options/areas across all the southern units, but I guess its an unknown in year 1. Will be interesting to see how it actually plays out, but tyring to stay ahead of the curve if I can manage that.
Sending a PM

Slightly highjacking, but also a little on topic. ha. I'm a mule deer guy and spend a lot of time chasing em, but coues also seem like they'll be right up my alley - finally sprung and bought an archery tag after dreaming and procrastinating a few years. I'm planning on being in southern AZ units from 4th or 5th of Jan through the end of the month. I'll get 13 full focused hunt days, then also working remotely in-between with evening easy-access glassing sessions.

Obviously been doing the podcast/internet research, but would love to dm or have a phone convo to run my set of questions by any of you guys that know southern AZ. Happy to reciprocate and answer any similar sorts of questions on western wyoming and gunnison basin deer if that's info you'd value. ;)

As I'm looking at the unit quotas and harvest totals so far, it seems most units are a good ways beneath their quota still. Curious for all ya'lls thoughts on the jan forecast based on where we're at now - will it stay steady, or will harvest rates pick up through dec and become problematic? I'm e-scouting hunt options/areas across all the southern units, but I guess its an unknown in year 1. Will be interesting to see how it actually plays out, but tyring to stay ahead of the curve if I can manage that.
Considering the season opens tomorrow, expect the available numbers to start to decrease. Figure a chunk will be taken each weekend as well as any holiday due to weekend warriors. Check status often leading up to your hunt.

Identify your desired unit(s) and then choose a centralized camp spot in case one of the units gets closed. There is a lot of water out there and with this past weekend's rain, we have even more.

Glass, get your stalk on, and go kill a buck.