AZ coues 2023 Jan

Samwise

FNG
Me and my girlfriend are planning on going to AZ for the January to bow hunt coues deer. We are looking at units in the south east next to the boarder. I have a small 12x10 wall tent I was hoping to camp out of and use as home base while we drive around and hunt around the area. The major question I have is would it be safe to leave my tent, cots, burners, that kind of thing like you would if you were camping near a trail head during elk season. We are having another couple meet up with us so that's why we thought this would be the easiest route. I personally have never set a camp up and left it while hunting I usually camp out of my truck or in the backcountry and carry my camp with me so this type of camp set up while hunting is new to me but I want to make it slightly more comfortable for her.

It should be safe but use appropriate caution. Camp items can be stolen anywhere and is not limited to the border. Do be aware that you may have unwanted visitors 24x7.

With the OTC deer dropping like flies, you may want to confirm that you'll be hunting Coues in January 2023. Most of the border units haven't reported in but units are closing quickly:

OP
S

Samwise

FNG
It should be safe but use appropriate caution. Camp items can be stolen anywhere and is not limited to the border. Do be aware that you may have unwanted visitors 24x7.

With the OTC deer dropping like flies, you may want to confirm that you'll be hunting Coues in January 2023. Most of the border units haven't reported in but units are closing quickly:
Thank you for the Link thats a big help

OP
S

Samwise

FNG

I thought each season had its own quota in each unit. It looks like that's not the case.

2019Remi

FNG
Me and my girlfriend are planning on going to AZ for the January to bow hunt coues deer. We are looking at units in the south east next to the boarder. I have a small 12x10 wall tent I was hoping to camp out of and use as home base while we drive around and hunt around the area. The major question I have is would it be safe to leave my tent, cots, burners, that kind of thing like you would if you were camping near a trail head during elk season. We are having another couple meet up with us so that's why we thought this would be the easiest route. I personally have never set a camp up and left it while hunting I usually camp out of my truck or in the backcountry and carry my camp with me so this type of camp set up while hunting is new to me but I want to make it slightly more comfortable for her.
I've never had my camp messed with in the border units, but every year I hear a few stories of theft. A few trail cameras focused on camp wouldn't be a bad idea.

okcaveman

FNG
To my understanding, the NR tags for the dec-jan season also will start going on sale in November, with a cap. So there's a chance to buy a tag and not get to hunt your chosen units, or not be able to get a tag if you wait

Northpark

WKR
I wouldn’t make big plans on getting to hunt I January as many of the units might be closed by then. If you do get to hunt I wouldn’t worry much. Stuffs just as likely to get stolen away from the boarder as by it. Maybe leave some extra water out in plain site though.

tlaloc22

FNG
I've never had my camp messed with in the border units, but every year I hear a few stories of theft. A few trail cameras focused on camp wouldn't be a bad idea.
I’m thinking of going in January, but camp safety has been a concern. Is it overblown in your opinion?

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of going in January, but camp safety has been a concern. Is it overblown in your opinion?
Not overblown at all. Your actual risk may be more or less than your perceived risk. How bad do you want to hunt Coues with a bow this winter? Is a great adventure. There are a few bad hombres that value your life about as much as you do a housefly's life. Wrong place, wrong time and see the wrong thing then you are the complication, and you will not be able to talk your way out of it.

I hunted a border unit in late December a decade ago and saw thousands of abandoned water jugs and other things callously abandoned for me to trip over and see. I never had an encounter while I was awake. No idea if someone passed by camp at night. I saw lots of LEO activity though on horses, SUVs, planes, copters and drones. Roadblocks, too.

Make sure you get your tag as soon as it's available, the way this reads, there will only be a limited number of AZ OTC archery deer tags sold to nonresidents:

BBob

WKR
there will only be a limited number of AZ OTC archery deer tags sold to nonresidents:
Correct. Starting in 2023 the number of tags sold to non-res will be subject to a 10% cap based on the average number of res tags sold in 2022. Only 2890 non-res otc deer tags will be available in 2023. Once they are sold and you don’t have one you are SOL. So watch, I’ll bet there will be an early rush on tags many by speculators that’ll never get used.

Last edited:

GlassSnob

FNG
If you manage to hunt, you definitely need to be cautious when camping anywhere near the Mexican border. I work in the LEO field and have had plenty of honest conversations with Border Patrol, HSI, DEA and the like. The majority of the folks you could run into are desperate, hungry/thirsty and hoping to evade LE. The don't necessarily want to hurt you, but might be in a position where they need your resources (think water/food). A tent would make me feel uneasy. A trailer - where you could lock up the gear not on your back - is a better bet. Maybe a truck set up with some lockable storage. The other thing I'd recommend is carrying a pistol. Doesn't have to be anything heavy/large caliber, but be comfortable using whatever you carry. There are some designated camping areas down there that have enough traffic to scare off most trouble. IF you tent camp, I'd look to do that and then drive out to your hunting area(s) then go on foot.

Another option is to avoid WAY down south altogether. There are plenty of Coues deer on Mt. Lemon and other Mountains in AZ where you won't have to worry about illegals. Still need to be mindful of cats though. Best of luck. -Luke

Zackcarp

FNG
Your gear should be fine. Those folks aren't looking for gear, just food and water.. But its flippin nuts down here right now. Depending where you are, if you're south of I 10 you'll see some of the rodeo first hand.

TJudeB

FNG
We are hunting unit 31 in January 2023.. Anyone have any issues there?

I’m right on the border glassing, scouting, or just hiking around at least one day a week for the last seven months. It’s not uncommon to see people crossing, but I’ve never had an issue. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, just be aware.