auction tags?

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
BC offers up 2 tags every year that allow for special seasons. One is the auction tag, the other is a raffle. Both tags have the same rules and seasons. The raffle tickets cost $15 per entry, with an individual allowed to buy as many chances as they wish. So guys do put a lot of money into buying a bigger chance (I've heard of as many as 1000 tickets). This tag does give any hunter a chance at a very special tag. Do many of the states do a similar raffle? Is this tag any better than the auction tag? Thoughts?

The raffle tag winner for 2013 in BC shot a respectable ram 15 minutes from my home. He hunted for a solid month, passed on a very big ram that was on the road transitioning between 2 ridges because it didn't feel right, and hiked a tonne of miles in the cold and snow. He did not shoot the biggest ram, but I think he had a very fulfilling hunt that he could be proud of. I did not meet him personally, but everyone that I talked to had positive things to say about him.

If I can find out, I'll post info on how much this raffle tag raised.

2 years ago i heard in generated around 15,000, nothing compared to 240,000 the Auction tag went for, that year. I would also be in your neck of the woods with that tag..

Buster

WKR
2 years ago i heard in generated around 15,000, nothing compared to 240,000 the Auction tag went for, that year. I would also be in your neck of the woods with that tag..

Do you know how to find out exact numbers? I actually thought it would be more. If you ever do win that tag, I'll make sure I take some time off to give you a hand.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
WY is the perfect example of pay for opportunity, Regular vs Special draws. I don't see much discussion on that.

That is still a draw you don't just open your check book and arrive at the front of the line. Also there is a cap on special tags and now days your odds aren't that much better even though you spend double

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
That isn't not what is being talked about here. Missouri has a 001% sales tax that funds their department of conservation. This department is in charge of non game animals as well. Its very impressive and I personally believe the best ran in the country. Of course they are well funded

x2 our conservation agency is incredible here in Missouri if the rest of the nation would follow suit we would be a lot better off.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The spider bull was killed during the season that was granted by the dept. for the tag. Doesn't really matter whether you get to hunt the same season or not. My kid hunted a 5 month long cow season, and you couldn't, again perfectly legal.

You seem to have trouble grasping the reality that there are different dates for different tags, all created by the dept and all perfectly legal. Doesn't matter if it was a draw tag, auction tag, or a Governors tag, they all have season dates. And all the participants are "following the rules", whether you like them or not.

No I don't have a hard time grasping different season dates for different tags. I am very well aware of this actually what I have a problem with is huge amounts of money purchasing additional season dates that are beyond what the public is allowed or purchasing the right to circumvent the draw and hunt where ever they please.

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's your problem, you are comparing these tags to normal tags. These are not normal tags, they are special fundraising tags. Apples to oranges. You may think you're not perpetuating class warfare, but apply the same principles of your argument to any of the top political arguments and you'd be standing with dear leader, Harry Reid and their ilk...

Harsh! I am far from liberal. I have no problem with people that have money nor do I have a problem with them having more than the rest of us. I have a problem with public resources being set aside for the ultra rich.

Hoot

WKR
Hypothetical scenario:

We have a public healthcare system. Each state has only one hospital that has only one heart transplant surgeon. The surgeon is capable of doing 300 surgeries per year, and names are "drawn" from the ever growing pool of heart patients. Each year the hospital auctions off the operating room and surgery to the highest bidder. The proceeds go to researching heart disease, and hiring another surgeon to increase the amount of public resource available to aid more patients.

By your logic, it's unfair to the rest of the thousands of heart patients vying for 299 surgery slots that one heart patient gets to circumvent the normal system and pay to use the public resource, even if he is donating large quantities of money to the cause. If that's not bad enough, it's a crying shame that the rich bastard gets to pick the most convenient date and he gets to use the best operating room to boot! Instead we should just raise taxes (license fees are a tax!) enough to cover the fundraising effort and give that 300th surgery back to the normal system.

You're right, you don't sound like a liberal at all...

I agree that there needs to be transparency with the funds generated. I think that these types of tags MUST remain at a very limited quantity. I really like that states like colorado give one tag up for auction, and one for raffle so the average joes have at least a chance at the same tag. But to think these tags are somehow unfair is beyond me...

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
Hypothetical scenario:

We have a public healthcare system. Each state has only one hospital that has only one heart transplant surgeon. The surgeon is capable of doing 300 surgeries per year, and names are "drawn" from the ever growing pool of heart patients. Each year the hospital auctions off the operating room and surgery to the highest bidder. The proceeds go to researching heart disease, and hiring another surgeon to increase the amount of public resource available to aid more patients.

By your logic, it's unfair to the rest of the thousands of heart patients vying for 299 surgery slots that one heart patient gets to circumvent the normal system and pay to use the public resource, even if he is donating large quantities of money to the cause. If that's not bad enough, it's a crying shame that the rich bastard gets to pick the most convenient date and he gets to use the best operating room to boot! Instead we should just raise taxes (license fees are a tax!) enough to cover the fundraising effort and give that 300th surgery back to the normal system.

I agree that there needs to be transparency with the funds generated. I think that these types of tags MUST remain at a very limited quantity. I really like that states like colorado give one tag up for auction, and one for raffle so the average joes have at least a chance at the same tag. But to think these tags are somehow unfair is beyond me...

I am in favour of the tag, because of the cause.. But i disagree with your statement, one is about life and death, the other is about putting his name at the top of the trophy book. Agree or disagree thats what it is about. JMO

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last I knew these auctions were open to the public?

Can you buy a tag? Anyone can own a Ferrari but they are considered a status symbol because few can afford them. These tags are not meant for the public never were. That's the point the really right to raise money no common man can afford

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not against anyone that can afford one or the good things those monies can buy. Its the principal of it for me everybody waits but that special group and I should just be thankful they show up and save the day

jmez

WKR
I've never been to one of the auctions bit assume o would be allowed to bid. I can't afford to spend what they cost but that is really no ones problem but mine.

That is kind of the whole point of our country. Only one holding you back is yourself. I don't expect the wealthy to donate 200k so that I can hunt sheep. They have the disposable income to buy the tag along with a willingness to do so, good for them.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hypothetical scenario:

Actually hoot, let's boil down you're thinking here for a minute. Why you're saying that tags are a tax you're saying that it is acceptable to tax the rich guy an extreme amount far beyond what everyone elses taxed because the larger amount of money will benefit everyone rather than have everybody taxed equally, now who is sounding liberal. Heck while we're at it why don't we just start checking tax returns when we purchased tags: anyone making no say over 150,000 will have to pay $20,000 to tag just so those that don't won't have to foot their share of the conservation bill.

I agree that ALL government agencies should have absolute transparency with the exception of some that would possibly compromise national security, but surely conservation would not be one of those. I don't think anyone of us would baulk at paying a little more to help conservation, I certainly would not. As I have said here in Missouri we have a fantastic conservation department and if more states followed suit we'd have far fewer problems with game management. I read an article recently that said we have more whitetail here now than when the pilgrims landed at Plymouth (I have no idea if its actually true), when they were nearly extinct in the late 1800s through 1930s (not sure exactly when they started making serious conservation efforts). Conservation can do great things if managed properly without creating or allowing class distinctions based on super expensive auctions.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
But to think these tags are somehow unfair is beyond me...
These tags do good and I can understand some of the reasons to be in favor of them, but fair? I guess I don't understand your logic here. These are tags for a select group of sportsmen that is what it is.

jmez

WKR
Yes fair. There are many, many self made millionaires/wealthy people in our country. They started with noting and became rich. Others didn't. I don't see how a public auction can in any way be called unfair? I just don't understand that type of rationale? Those that have done well for themselves can raise their hand longer than I can, how is that not fair?

Hoot

WKR
Actually hoot, let's boil down you're thinking here for a minute. Why you're saying that tags are a tax you're saying that it is acceptable to tax the rich guy an extreme amount far beyond what everyone elses taxed because the larger amount of money will benefit everyone rather than have everybody taxed equally, now who is sounding liberal. Heck while we're at it why don't we just start checking tax returns when we purchased tags: anyone making no say over 150,000 will have to pay $20,000 to tag just so those that don't won't have to foot their share of the conservation bill.

I agree that ALL government agencies should have absolute transparency with the exception of some that would possibly compromise national security, but surely conservation would not be one of those. I don't think anyone of us would baulk at paying a little more to help conservation, I certainly would not. As I have said here in Missouri we have a fantastic conservation department and if more states followed suit we'd have far fewer problems with game management. I read an article recently that said we have more whitetail here now than when the pilgrims landed at Plymouth (I have no idea if its actually true), when they were nearly extinct in the late 1800s through 1930s (not sure exactly when they started making serious conservation efforts). Conservation can do great things if managed properly without creating or allowing class distinctions based on super expensive auctions.

Funny, now you're trying to spin it back on me, the one flaw to your charge is that those who bid on tags at the auction do so on their own free will, and they choose the price they pay. That is free market at its finest.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes fair. There are many, many self made millionaires/wealthy people in our country. They started with noting and became rich. Others didn't. I don't see how a public auction can in any way be called unfair? I just don't understand that type of rationale? Those that have done well for themselves can raise their hand longer than I can, how is that not fair?

And Congress and the senate have made political careers for themselves strong enough that they got elected to their respective positions, good for them! Shouldn't they be allowed to exempt themselves from obamacare if they choose and live by a different set of rules than the rest of us? Its the same rationale that you're using, that an elite group get to live by different rules than the rest of us.