auction tags?

Buster

WKR
So here is a summary of the BC auction and raffle tag data from 2000-2010.

19 tags total

10 raffled to residents

9 auctioned

1.6 million raised

88% of that raised by auction

For every $1 raised, $2.5 were matched by different programs

$85 000 went to administration (5%)

1.34 million has been spent on projects

As of 2010 their account still held $210 000

Sheep specific projects saw 83%

83% of the 1.34 million went to sheep specific projects

17% to other wildlife projects

This post is not to support or oppose these tags. It is just for informational purposes. I just received the link from yama49 a few minutes ago (thanks again yama) so this is just a summary of the summary.

If other province and state residents have info it would be great to see.

tuffcity

WKR
I guess one of the reasons I don't get cranked up about an auction permit is that (as a BC resident) I can hunt bighorns (Cali or Rocky) and thinhorns (Stones) on an OTC basis. The auction tag doesn't impact my ability to hunt sheep but it does bring in a rather large amount to put towards wildlife (largely sheep) programs. Whether it's transplants, genetic studies, wild/domestic issues or population counts, the money the tag (one) brings in augments the ability of volunteers and government to do good things for wildlife.

Missouri has been mentioned as a state that has its crap together regarding funding (good on them) and a doubling of the licence fees would generate huge money for conservation. Now compare that state to BC, which is over twice the size, has less than a 10th the hunters of Missouri, and has to manage a dozen different big game animals (not including wolves). Now double or triple the licence fees and our hunter recruitment is going to tank and even less will be funded by hunters.

On a good day about 10% of the 85000 BC hunters are sheep hunters, so in my opinion, for this province, the auctioning off of ONE tag generates more positives than negatives.

RC

MattB

WKR
Also San Bernadino. I don't know if compton or LA ever went through with bankruptcy but they were considering it. I realize that its not a huge percentage of cities but enough for concern particularly considering the size of san bernadino and stockton.

Those municipalities represent less than 1.7% of the population of the state of California.

Even California attorney general considered the state bankrupt whether it went through the legal procedure is a different story.

We've learned a bit since 2010, including the fact that CA never filed for bankruptcy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The missiori deal is that is a very small general tax so their operating budget isnt based solely on license fees or the number sold. Everyone there has a vested interest in conversation. BC sounds like an awesome place to live! Being otc and having a relative small hunter pool might change my perception too.

Last edited: