Arrow Weight?

Sammymusi

WKR
I’m going with them as well !! I’ve shot slick trick magnums for a while now just couldn’t get them to shoot out to 70 80 . Annihilators are darts out to 80 out of my set up . Yes I lost a lot of sleep making that decision but I’m confident and ready to kill !!

OP
InGodsCountry
I’m going with them as well !! I’ve shot slick trick magnums for a while now just couldn’t get them to shoot out to 70 80 . Annihilators are darts out to 80 out of my set up . Yes I lost a lot of sleep making that decision but I’m confident and ready to kill !!

After watching all reviews and vids on them. I’m confident that will be great on elk this season…if I can find one…and get it in range…haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
InGodsCountry
I heard good things but hesitant on using them. It’s between them and exodus

There was a comparison video on YouTube that had like 20 diff heads on it. Exodus did well, but didn’t hold a candle to the annihilator.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Assuming you have good arrow flight, you current setup will be fine. I'd advise against a rage, I have seen a pile of elk killed with a spitfire and low 400 gr shaft, but you would be likely better served by a smaller fixed blade head.

Lighter arrows are often guys chasing speed, tune is much less forgiving as you get closer and closer to 300. You really need to have everything together if you want to be close to or past 300 fps shooting broadheads, don't matter if it's fixed or mechanical, a mechanical gives you zero tuning advantage, it needs to come out dead straight too or you are just bleeding off energy.

So long as you are getting good arrow flight, I'd test with bareshafts and fixed head broadheads, you will be fine. Nothing wrong with going heavier at all, I just like as flat a trajectory as reasonable.
You may want to clarify that bareshaft and fixed blade comment lol. Test bareshafts, but don't put a fixed head on a bareshaft or you're in for a bad day.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My dad and I have opposite views on this - although he's also taken 11 more bulls than I have.

I shoot a 602 gr. arrow at 70lbs, 34.25" draw length and use 100gr. broadheads
He uses a sub 380 gr. setup at 70 lbs at 29.5" draw length and uses 75gr. broadheads

It's kind of like comparing a .300 Weatherby to a 6.5 Creedmore.

What I can tell you is - both do a ton a damage and shot placement is everything. Both get the job done very well. If I hit bone do I have an advantage due to KE? Sure, but the sheer carnage on the animals is

FWIW all of our elk are 30 yards or less given how thick it is where we hunt. Here's our bull from last year, netted right @ ~370". Had we had some nubs on the #6's... would have been one for the books :)
KE isn't what drives through bone, that's momentum. Your arrow has that in spades over the straws that your dad shoots. KE numbers sell bows, momentum numbers kill animals.

sneaky

"DADDY"
20 years ago, I don't even recall this conversation. Maybe farther back than that :)

10 years ago, folks were saying a minimum of 400 gr. and foc was rising to the surface.

Now, 500 gr minimum and plenty of foc or arrows bounce off of elk

I seem to recall quite a few photos of dead elk before I'd heard of any of this. Maybe everyone was shooting 500 gr and just not talking about it.

With that said, I do prefer a heavier arrow and the current trend of heavier arrows and FOC discussion is a good one.

I'd add a good broadhead upfront of your current set up and hunt with it. If it doesn't turn your arrow into a noodle, you could go with. 125 up front instead of 100.
20+ years ago people were still shooting a lot of aluminum arrows. Wasn't hard to get heavy then. Probably why no one ever mentioned it, it was what it was. Carbon arrows changed that conversation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was sitting in your boat last week. I had a finished arrow at around 400. Lots of opinions so I decided to go up to 300 Fmj and be at 530gr. Lots of shots, building a paper tuner, losing arrows and I could not get my bow shooting and tuned. I got fed up and went back to my 400 gr axis 340’s and swapped to a 150gr head. I am shooting top pin out to 30 yds and it’s shooting very well.
My foc on them is 16.5%.
I think finished weight is around 440ish.
80lb, 28” draw, 26 1/2” arrow.
FMJs tune different than an all carbon arrow. If you had tried an all carbon 300 you could have probably saved some frustration. I like FMJs but they have their issues, not the least of which is taking on permanent bends.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What I’ve decided to go with for the season is a VAP V1 RIP TKO 350 with 50 grain stainless outserts tipped with an annihilator 100 XL. This is a good balance of arrow weight, flight & accuracy out of my bow. TAW is sitting at 420.5

VAP V1 RIP TKO? That's two arrows in one lol. VAPs are .166 and RIPs are .204. I'm impressed😂

sneaky

"DADDY"
There was a comparison video on YouTube that had like 20 diff heads on it. Exodus did well, but didn’t hold a candle to the annihilator.

Seek One did an excellent test, and Exodus did better than every head in the test. Both good heads, and the Exodus does hold a candle to the Annihilator 👍

OP
InGodsCountry
Seek One did an excellent test, and Exodus did better than every head in the test. Both good heads, and the Exodus does hold a candle to the Annihilator

Sweet! I’ll have to give it a watch! Thanks for the heads up (pun intended) As for my candle comment, it was only in reference to the video I watched, it did not outperform the annihilator, in that specific vid. I have ZERO real world experience with either head, but hoping to have some very very soon lol. As I’m sure with many quality heads out there these days, some bias does boil down to personal preferences, personal experience, performance with the individuals setup & tuning.

Last edited:
You may want to clarify that bareshaft and fixed blade comment lol. Test bareshafts, but don't put a fixed head on a bareshaft or you're in for a bad day.

You can if your stuff is together.

But yeah, putting a broadhead on a bareshaft isn't generally a good idea. If someone is ignorant enough that they think I was saying to do that, instead of it being a reference to tuning methods, well, then they can loose an arrow.

Light arrow is right. My draw weight is 70#. I went from 430 gr FMJ 400 to a GT Velocity XT 300 added 75 gr for FOC Total arrow weight now 477. Speed only droppped 6 fps. higher kinetic energy though. For elk I went from 100gr to 125gr broadhead. Added 14.7% FOC. The bull I shot 2 years ago with the previous arrow set up was drilled in the lungs, but still walked 400-500 yards. I agree with many that 50 yards and out my sight tape grew a bit. No big deal to me even with a 125 gr, Magnus black hornet (take a look at those also). My arrow flight is more stable after adjusting my FOC. Just an additional thought to add to your question.

def90

WKR
What are you shooting? 20-30 yds vs 50-60? Makes a difference. I think a lot of this is mental masturbation. I'm assuming that when you picked your arrow you followed the manufacturers guideline as to the correct spine and so on.. if you have an arrow that appears to be on the light side I have to ask if you picked the correct spine for you draw weight and so on. beyond that it comes down to picking a head that is 100 vs 125 grains.

In the end shot placement is also a major factor, along with broadhead design and so on.. just look at the number of threads there are on what is the best caliber for elk and the number of opinions that accompany them.

Sammymusi

WKR
I shoot the
V3 27 and they said the 350 spine was it for paper tuning and said it preferred a a slightly weaker spine . I was 65 lb mods then went to 70 lb. Shot through paper and it was a bullet. I ran numbers and it didn’t seem to jump that much when I went to a 450 or even 475 grain arrow so I’m pretty confident that any animal ( deer , elk) with the shot placement should expire and I’ll be eating goooooooood…

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can if your stuff is together.

But yeah, putting a broadhead on a bareshaft isn't generally a good idea. If someone is ignorant enough that they think I was saying to do that, instead of it being a reference to tuning methods, well, then they can loose an arrow.
Have you seen who is in the White House? 😂 Someone will try it, and they'll blame you lol

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Reweighed my arrows and shot through a chronograph this evening to double check nothing off after returning from antelope hunt. My arrow setup this year is 4mm FMJ weighing 453grain with 13% foc, 297fps, and with iron will single bevel to top it off. Calculator online shows 88.71ft/lbs of energy. My bow loves this arrow set up and I’d be confident flinging these arrows at any game not named Cape buffalo or hippo…

Last edited: