Arrow Weight?

Okay, I'm sure there are obviously lots of variable, and opinions out there. But I'm trying to decide what would be considered "too light" of an arrow setup for elk this fall. Im currently shooting 72 lbs and I believe my arrow weight is around 350-60 grains. What are your thoughts?

Fullfan

WKR
Pretty dang light. Elk are not magical animals, but they are big and tough. My arrows come in at 515 finished w a coc head, 29” shot from my 70lb VXR 28. Chronograph them last summer around 268fps

I’m sure you will get a bunch of responses to your question.

OP
InGodsCountry
Appreciate the feedback! I have Axis 5mm in 340 spine that weigh in closer to 425 ish finished weight that I can (re)sight in with, I was just already dialed with the lighter arrows as that's what I used for TAC this year. I just wanted people to confirm what I was suspecting and tell me that the arrow is too light..

OP
InGodsCountry
I think what's also hindering me a little is my draw length is pretty short, so maybe I need to bump up to a 125-150 grain head (providing they shoot well) to make up some weight (would maybe need to go stiffer spine then?). I do like a cut on contact head for bigger critters. I use Rage Hypodermics on deer and antelope and love them, but I'm worried about a rib or clipping a shoulder or something with the mechanical.

I think what's also hindering me a little is my draw length is pretty short, so maybe I need to bump up to a 125-150 grain head (providing they shoot well) to make up some weight (would maybe need to go stiffer spine then?). I do like a cut on contact head for bigger critters. I use Rage Hypodermics on deer and antelope and love them, but I'm worried about a rib or clipping a shoulder or something with the mechanical.
A rage on elk is bad all around in my opinion, but some people swear by them. My arrows weigh in at 495, shooting both iron wills and sevr's for elk. IMO, you want to be in the 450-500 range, but its all personal preference. Tim Gillingham swears by a 375 grain arrow, but I would never shoot an arrow that light at any animal, let alone an elk.

OP
InGodsCountry
I agree on the rage. My buddy shot one last year for elk and it made me cringe a little. But, like anything, shot placement is pretty important no matter what, but especially with mechanical heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I would say on the lighter side but they will do just fine. I've killed a handful of elk with arrows that finish out around 405 gr.

I agree on the rage. My buddy shot one last year for elk and it made me cringe a little. But, like anything, shot placement is pretty important no matter what, but especially with mechanical heads

I just dont personally like rages, haven't had good experiences with them. There are plenty of mechanicals that I think are great for elk with the right arrow setup. But like arrow weight, its personal preference. Lots of dudes love rages.

OP
InGodsCountry
So I reweighed the “lighter” arrow as I was going off memory with its finished weight and with a 100gr montec, they came in right at 390. Is it worth the extra time to squeeze out another 35 grains going to the axis 4mm? They were right at 425.

CJohnson

WKR
Mine are at 420gr and I’m wondering the same thing. I don’t really think I’m going to try and change a bunch of stuff a month out from the season though because my bow is shooting extremely well as is.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Always is a wide range of opinions on this. I read everything I could and decided to go for something sort of in the middle. Not too light, but not EFOC or anything crazy heavy either.

I’d say part of it depends on your hunting style too. If you plan on longer shots, the steepness of trajectory of a heavy arrow will hurt you.

I settled on aiming for a 450 grain arrow, without going over. Ended up at 445 grains. 13% FOC.
Any heavier and I would fall below 250fps. (Older bow, short-ish draw)

The vast majority of realistic recommendations seemed to fall between 420-480. Of course the guys with 30 inch draws often go up over 500 grains and still get good velocity.

It’s just a very individual thing.

All about making great shots. I've been told that my 392 gr arrows are too light. The elk on the recieving end say different. The main reason for my arrow weight is determined by my bow. My D350 loves the set up with fixed heads.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
Heavier obviously helps but practically 400-450 will do just fine. I had a pass through on a bull at 60 yards shooting 60 pounds and 400 grain arrow with an exodus. Next year though, i switched to 70 pounds a 450(14% foc) grain arrow. Shot my bull at 40 yards quartering and stuck my broadhead almost through the opposite shoulder(simmons mako stopped at bleeder blades). In my opinion 450 is a happy medium of speed and weight. Im somewhere mid 280’s fps

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
I just bumped my arrow weight to 490 from 394. That said, I was very reluctant to do so as I kept killing animals with my old setup. I was aiming for like 450, but they came out a touch heavier.

400 grains kills an elk all day long. Flatter which gives you more room for error in your shot. I don't mind an arrow in an elk either, as I believe they bed faster when a broadhead is cutting them every step they take.

At the end of the day, whatever gives you confidence to get an arrow inside the chest cavity will do the trick.

OP
InGodsCountry
V3X. 28.5” draw. 72#. 100 grain head. 429 grain arrow. I’ve passed through a number of broadside elk, and two elk lengthwise.

Heck yeah. This is what I wanna hear!! Thanks Les!