Arrow Weight?

Assuming you have good arrow flight, you current setup will be fine. I'd advise against a rage, I have seen a pile of elk killed with a spitfire and low 400 gr shaft, but you would be likely better served by a smaller fixed blade head.

Lighter arrows are often guys chasing speed, tune is much less forgiving as you get closer and closer to 300. You really need to have everything together if you want to be close to or past 300 fps shooting broadheads, don't matter if it's fixed or mechanical, a mechanical gives you zero tuning advantage, it needs to come out dead straight too or you are just bleeding off energy.

So long as you are getting good arrow flight, I'd test with bareshafts and fixed head broadheads, you will be fine. Nothing wrong with going heavier at all, I just like as flat a trajectory as reasonable.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I shoot for right around 500 gr, coc head, and a solid amount of foc. Right around 15% seems to work well on just about any critter you would want to shoot. I have sevrs that I would consider shooting at antelope, but when a solid 2 blade flys just as good why risk it?

Sammymusi

WKR
I actually just battled this as well . I’ve been shooting 65 lb mods with my v327 . Shooting the victory vap elites total weight 405 grains with 100 grain Annihilator. I’ve decided I’m sticking with this set up. I have yet to kill an elk but I’ve killed a lot of bucks with and it just to me is the best combo. I did switch to 70 lb mods and ran some numbers and I am in the 80s for ft lbs of ke. And shooting mid 290s which to me is right where it should be. I got these heads shooting solid out to 70 right now. Not saying I would take that far of a shot but I would feel good 50 yards and in with this set up. Good luck to everyone this year and cannot wait to be on a mountain in a few weeks!

mgpete87

FNG
My dad and I have opposite views on this - although he's also taken 11 more bulls than I have.

I shoot a 602 gr. arrow at 70lbs, 34.25" draw length and use 100gr. broadheads
He uses a sub 380 gr. setup at 70 lbs at 29.5" draw length and uses 75gr. broadheads

It's kind of like comparing a .300 Weatherby to a 6.5 Creedmore.

What I can tell you is - both do a ton a damage and shot placement is everything. Both get the job done very well. If I hit bone do I have an advantage due to KE? Sure, but the sheer carnage on the animals is

FWIW all of our elk are 30 yards or less given how thick it is where we hunt. Here's our bull from last year, netted right @ ~370". Had we had some nubs on the #6's... would have been one for the books :)

Attachments

• 65439572893__B700C8E7-22BE-4E08-9C3A-FBFD0CB1DCC5.JPG
    65439572893__B700C8E7-22BE-4E08-9C3A-FBFD0CB1DCC5.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 78

hobbes

WKR
20 years ago, I don't even recall this conversation. Maybe farther back than that :)

10 years ago, folks were saying a minimum of 400 gr. and foc was rising to the surface.

Now, 500 gr minimum and plenty of foc or arrows bounce off of elk

I seem to recall quite a few photos of dead elk before I'd heard of any of this. Maybe everyone was shooting 500 gr and just not talking about it.

With that said, I do prefer a heavier arrow and the current trend of heavier arrows and FOC discussion is a good one.

I'd add a good broadhead upfront of your current set up and hunt with it. If it doesn't turn your arrow into a noodle, you could go with. 125 up front instead of 100.

I've got several different arrow setups between 425 gr. and 515. 65# at 27.5" DL. I've been using my Gold Tip KPP's that come in about 455 and I like how they perform on tree bark when I miss my elk. Not too hard to remove, that's what I'm after. Arrow flight is excellent, speed is in the high 260's, just shy of 270 if I remember correctly.

Bachto

WKR
I have a family friend that is a speed guy and swears you don't need anything more than 400 grains. The guy has quite a few animals on his wall too so I don't take his opinion lightly.

I think you stay with your current set up and focus as being deadly as possible instead of switching a month or now even less before the season starts. shot placement is more critical most of the time than arrow weight.

For what its worth i'm also on the heavier arrow train. My arrows are right at 510 grains and fly super well. I am just a few inches from punching all the way through my brand new block target at 70 yards. 28.5 inch draw and only 65lb draw weight.

Trial153

WKR
I am always a bit over 500 TAW on my elk/ moose arrows…this year I am at 525ish . I honestly think anything over 450 is plenty especially with a fixed blade head

Read1t48

WKR
Mine: 72#, 26.5” DL, 442gr TAW, 252 FPS.

I think a well tuned bow and great arrow flight with anything 400gr and above will get the job done. Super heavy arrows do not provide much grace for miscalculations of yardage. Once great arrow flight is achieved, people should focus on really sharp broadheads. It makes a world of difference. Most broadheads that come from factories do not meet the definition of ‘sharp’.
Good luck this season.

TheHammer

WKR
84lbs elite, 29.5”, 604gr 17%FOC.

For those who like their 100 or 125gr head but want a little more weight with higher foc, I would suggest half insert/outserts up front.

I was sitting in your boat last week. I had a finished arrow at around 400. Lots of opinions so I decided to go up to 300 Fmj and be at 530gr. Lots of shots, building a paper tuner, losing arrows and I could not get my bow shooting and tuned. I got fed up and went back to my 400 gr axis 340’s and swapped to a 150gr head. I am shooting top pin out to 30 yds and it’s shooting very well.
My foc on them is 16.5%.
I think finished weight is around 440ish.
80lb, 28” draw, 26 1/2” arrow.

OP
InGodsCountry
I was sitting in your boat last week. I had a finished arrow at around 400. Lots of opinions so I decided to go up to 300 Fmj and be at 530gr. Lots of shots, building a paper tuner, losing arrows and I could not get my bow shooting and tuned. I got fed up and went back to my 400 gr axis 340’s and swapped to a 150gr head. I am shooting top pin out to 30 yds and it’s shooting very well.
My foc on them is 16.5%.
I think finished weight is around 440ish.
80lb, 28” draw, 26 1/2” arrow.

I agree with you on this. Accuracy, arrow flight, broadhead quality/sharpness and placement on a critter is far more important than any other factor when it’s all said and done. I’d rather thread the needle and put the arrow in the boiler room and only get 10 inches of penetration versus a complete pass-through in the guts cuz my arrows don’t shoot well or I don’t shoot well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt44

FNG
Okay, I'm sure there are obviously lots of variable, and opinions out there. But I'm trying to decide what would be considered "too light" of an arrow setup for elk this fall. Im currently shooting 72 lbs and I believe my arrow weight is around 350-60 grains. What are your thoughts?
A lot of people shoot the 450-500 range I tend to like a lighter arrow myself around 420 but I wouldn’t go extreme. Your loosing out on down range velocity with a light arrow and penetration. And shooting a light arrow can harm your limbs on your bow over time. And not to mention if your shooting long range your arrow won’t fly near as good. There’s a lot that goes into it. You can check out elk shape and podium archer on YouTube. They have some cool vids talking about arrows with the ranch fairy. And I’m talking about over all weight on the arrow, inserts fletching‘s etc. try and get a set up where you have good foc. Podium archery has a foc Calculator that’ll help you out. Hope this helps

OP
InGodsCountry
What I’ve decided to go with for the season is a Victory V1 RIP TKO 350 with 50 grain stainless outserts tipped with an annihilator 100 XL. This is a good balance of arrow weight, flight & accuracy out of my bow. TAW is sitting at 420.5

Last edited:

Matt44

FNG
What I’ve decided to go with for the season is a VAP V1 RIP TKO 350 with 50 grain stainless inserts tipped with an annihilator 100 XL. This is a good balance of arrow weight, flight & accuracy out of my bow. TAW is sitting at 420.5

Titanium Outserts, Easton. check them out

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
5mm axis with 125 grain iron will solids. 512 grains finished. I’m shooting 67# at 27.5”.

I also have a skinny setup (4mm injexions that finish out at 440). Honestly, my bow likes both.

I’m gonna hunt with the heavier setup because “big stick mean bam bam can kill elk more dead”…

Shoot what works for you and make sure you understand elk anatomy before hitting the woods. That’s more valuable than anything else.

OP
InGodsCountry
Gonna give them a try this year. Hopefully in a few weeks I can report good findings!