Arrow Penetration....

Interesting. I don’t see those results with Exodus, TOTA XL, Kudu, or Grim Reaper 3-blades out to 60 yards out of my set-up, test it all the time just to see if I could blame a bad shot on that, but one thing I’ve read about or seen somewhere was torque tuning. Never looked into it or tried to actually torque tune my bow, but maybe I just got lucky that my current setup is accidentally optimally torque tuned, idk. If I remember right, had something to do with how far your sight is from your bow or something. But my set-up is pretty standard I would think.

I torque tune my bows when possible.

The Exodus is a really forgiving head, with swept blades. Full blades it's picky.

Tooth of the arrow was one of the worst flying heads I ever messed with, don't know why, they spun fine, and weren't a big cut, but damn if I didn't have issues with getting consistent flight. And that was playing with a shooting machine, not me shooting.

Kudo, no experience with.

The Grim reapers if they are like a G5 striker or Wack'em, they are a pretty forgiving head design.

Keep in mind too, I'm generally shooting a minimum of 285 fps, usually around the upper 290's if not faster. I have tuned a fair number of fixed blades at 315-318 fps, but things get dicey, it's like shooting a bareshaft.

If down in the 260's, stuff isn't too picky, and that's a good reason to shoot in those speeds too. I just end up hitting stuff that I'm not use to being in the way. I also tend to shoot a faster setup a little more accurately.

MuleyBuck

FNG
I torque tune my bows when possible.

The Exodus is a really forgiving head, with swept blades. Full blades it's picky.

Tooth of the arrow was one of the worst flying heads I ever messed with, don't know why, they spun fine, and weren't a big cut, but damn if I didn't have issues with getting consistent flight. And that was playing with a shooting machine, not me shooting.

Kudo, no experience with.

The Grim reapers if they are like a G5 striker or Wack'em, they are a pretty forgiving head design.

Keep in mind too, I'm generally shooting a minimum of 285 fps, usually around the upper 290's if not faster. I have tuned a fair number of fixed blades at 315-318 fps, but things get dicey, it's like shooting a bareshaft.

If down in the 260's, stuff isn't too picky, and that's a good reason to shoot in those speeds too. I just end up hitting stuff that I'm not use to being in the way. I also tend to shoot a faster setup a little more accurately.
Interesting to hear your experience. Sounds like you’ve done a lot of testing as well.

I have the benefit of a long draw, and chrono’d my current 513gr set-up at 289fps, just for reference on what I’m shooting when saying these things.

I’ve hunted with as fast as 303 and as slow as 268, and only as high as 16%foc and as low as 9%, and personally try to design an arrow weight set up now that is 275-290fps and 12%-16% FoC based on anecdotal experience on animals and at the range performance wise.

TOTA 1” has been one of the best flying heads I’ve shot. I like the square hole too.

Last edited:
TOTA 1” has been one of the best flying heads I’ve shot. I like the square hole too.

I seem to be an outlier from what I hear of others experiences with them. I don't know if I perhaps got a bad batch somehow, but there was nothing outward that would indicate a problem with them. Don't remember now how many and what other heads exactly I was messing with at the time, but I just couldn't get consistent impacts from them which was weird. Normally that would indicate a spine issue, but I know I had stuff like Magnus and Woodsman flying with that setup and the TOTA was a definite outlier from other heads. Made no sense.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’m curious, how many of you mech head guy have actually shot them more than a dozen times at long range to test?

FWIW, I’ve been shooting my 2 blades almost every day for the last 7-8 weeks…easy to touch up and reuse.

MuleyBuck

FNG
I’m curious, how many of you mech head guy have actually shot them more than a dozen times at long range to test?

FWIW, I’ve been shooting my 2 blades almost every day for the last 7-8 weeks…easy to touch up and reuse.
Great point, expecting them to fly like your field tips at long range and them actually doing it can be 2 different things. I’ve had some very poor flying low profile mechanicals

fatlander

WKR
Hundreds of shots on each of the following broadheads beyond 60 yards: SEVRs, grim reaper pro series, QAD exodus, iron will standards, g5 Montecs, slick trick standards and vipers, and magnus stingers. There’s no denying that the mechs are more forgiving when you stretch the legs. Less wind drift, less fall off due to drag beyond 75, less critical of bad shots, and they’re quieter in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Great point, expecting them to fly like your field tips at long range and them actually doing it can be 2 different things. I’ve had some very poor flying low profile mechanicals

I’ve never had a broadhead, fixed or mech, that spun true on a nock tuned shaft that didn’t fly just fine. I’ve also never had any broadhead that didn’t spin true fly worth a darn. I’d be willing to wager a whole lot of money that a whole lot of people in the woods right this minutes wouldn’t know what spinning broadheads meant if their life depended on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk