Are the any Ski Areas left out West that havent been ruined?

I get it for sure. Unlike honey holes, the folks crowding all the ski towns are not guys like us though. Not from what Ive seen anyway. They don't load their own rounds and put on a backpack and go live in a wilderness area for a week+ without coming back to the trailhead. I didn't ask this question on reddit. I thought I was in good company here asking this question, given the assumed audience, and actually still believe I am for the most part. I have received more positive responses than snarky ones, and I have also gotten some really helpful PMs.

Fact is I cant move somewhere if land is not for sale in that area. So, unless you want to buy up all the land in your area, you are getting a neighbor one way or the other. Do you want it to be a guy who minds his own business, but is useful and would help you in any way he could, or do you want an urbanite from a population center who doesn't know how to change a tire, doesn't like you shooting, and wants to start up an HOA? Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving
You "get it for sure", yet the first person that pointed it out got a snarky response from you. Because if I'm being honest you were the first snarky reply in this thread. Sorry, let's call a spade a spade.

Ski towns I hold near and dear. I'd rather burn a hunting spot than a ski town. I laugh that Bridger has turned into a 2 hour drive to go 20 miles. It's always been overrated and pretentious. My favorite bumper sticker of all time "noone cares you ski Bridger". Know how you can tell of someone skis Bridger? Don't worry, they'll tell you. I miss Moonlight Basin. Before Boyne bought it that's what I loved skiing.

Is there any waterfront property in California or Florida that hasn’t been played yet?
My son and his wife just graduated college and they’ve been having trouble finding an affordable home next to my wife and I on the intercostal in Fort Lauderdale.
My son grew up here and with his bachelors degree in creative writing from a prestigious liberal arts school, I think he’s more than deserving of a modest home with docking capabilities for a 30’ boat.
Lmk if you guys know of anywhere.

Dude, this welder I know here in Illinois was telling me about showdown last fall.
It’s been played.
Did the welder put it on the internet kn a public forum? Lol.

Showdown doesn't have the lifts or snowpack to support a huge amount of people. WSS is kind of a meth-y place to live too. And it's just a local family that owns Showdown. Right now the daughter of the guy that owned it when I grew up skiing there.

To be completely honest, there's another ski hill in MT that I'd be looking at before Showdown. Better snow. More steeps. But I'm not putting that on a forum.

There are limited #'s of mountain to ski in the US. It's not like any are secrets. I get it.

To the OP I will suggest Bear Paw ski hill. I think j that would fit right uo your alley.

Did the welder put it on the internet kn a public forum? Lol.

Showdown doesn't have the lifts or snowpack to support a huge amount of people. WSS is kind of a meth-y place to live too. And it's just a local family that owns Showdown. Right now the daughter of the guy that owned it when I grew up skiing there.

To be completely honest, there's another ski hill in MT that I'd be looking at before Showdown. Better snow. More steeps. But I'm not putting that on a forum.

There are limited #'s of mountain to ski in the US. It's not like any are secrets. I get it.

To the OP I will suggest Bear Paw ski hill. I think j that would fit right uo your alley.
Idk if you remember me from ht, but I just spent 5 of the last 24 months slinging chairs and bumming in summit county.
Ski towns... yuck!!!!
I knows summit’s kinda the belly of the beast as far as “ruined” goes, but yeah, it’s a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.
Just too many people.
Shoulder to shoulder in the grocery store 🤢

Gonna put an offer in on this place: https://www.landwatch.com/meagher-county-montana-undeveloped-land-for-sale/pid/417769635

I cant wait to ride first chair one morning with @2ski on a powder day

If you're moving out west and don't want to burn bridges with the locals of the town that you found that isn't 'ruined', buying land and building on it is the probably the wrong approach. Most of them like the open spaces, houses tucked out of sight, and low light pollution at night. They don't like larger properties being broken up and sold off to multiple owners to build a 'modern' style home every .2 miles, filling the views with bullshit and the roads with more cars than they can handle.

However, given your attitude in this thread I'd say regardless of what you buy and where it is that you'll struggle to ever be thought of as a local, so it's probably a moot point.

If you're moving out west and don't want to burn bridges with the locals of the town that you found that isn't 'ruined', buying land and building on it is the probably the wrong approach. Most of them like the open spaces, houses tucked out of sight, and low light pollution at night. They don't like larger properties being broken up and sold off to multiple owners to build a 'modern' style home every .2 miles, filling the views with bullshit and the roads with more cars than they can handle.

However, given your attitude in this thread I'd say regardless of what you buy and where it is that you'll struggle to ever be thought of as a local, so it's probably a moot point.
You’re trolling, right?
I hate urban sprawl too, but nobody cares what you mountain chumps think.
Just because you got wap dropped into a vacation town doesn’t mean that you’re the keeper of the kingdom.

You’re trolling, right?
I hate urban sprawl too, but nobody cares what you mountain chumps think.
Just because you got wap dropped into a vacation town doesn’t mean that you’re the keeper of the kingdom.

You're trolling, right?

You hate urban sprawl, but want to contribute to it by building more on undeveloped land? You may have spent too long in Summit County. I didn't say shit about being a keeper of any kingdom, I just said OP had a poor attitude if he wants to fit in. The 'f**k you, I'm getting mine' mentality doe not fit in well anywhere that I've been to out west, ski town or not.

A better way to phrase it may be you should figure out the prevailing attitudes in the area you'd like to go, and figure out a way to fit in there without being part of what is 'ruining' areas.

You're trolling, right?

You hate urban sprawl, but want to contribute to it by building more on undeveloped land? You may have spent too long in Summit County. I didn't say shit about being a keeper of any kingdom, I just said OP had a poor attitude if he wants to fit in. The 'f**k you, I'm getting mine' mentality doe not fit in well anywhere that I've been to out west, ski town or not.

A better way to phrase it may be you should figure out the prevailing attitudes in the area you'd like to go, and figure out a way to fit in there without being part of what is 'ruining' areas.
1. I’m not moving out there because I actually respect the WILDerness.
2. Kevin Costner can kma.
Nobody cares that you’re a fifth generation Montanan. We’re all immigrants.

Idk if you remember me from ht, but I just spent 5 of the last 24 months slinging chairs and bumming in summit county.
Ski towns... yuck!!!!
I knows summit’s kinda the belly of the beast as far as “ruined” goes, but yeah, it’s a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.
Just too many people.
Shoulder to shoulder in the grocery store 🤢
Yep, I lived in Breck for a couple of years. Always was overrun with Denver trash on the weekends. Especially cigarette smoking snowboarder clans. I remember a few scuffles while shooting pool at Ullrs. Totally different way of getting ruined than the Texas/California folks gentrifying everything

In the summers I worked on a landscaping crew. We would plant trees, run irrigation, and lay sod and bring in boulders at big houses on large lots. The owners were never there, always lived in Texas back then.

Yep, I lived in Breck for a couple of years. Always was overrun with Denver trash on the weekends. Especially cigarette smoking snowboarder clans. I remember a few scuffles while shooting pool at Ullrs. Totally different way of getting ruined than the Texas/California folks gentrifying everything

In the summers I worked on a landscaping crew. We would plant trees, run irrigation, and lay sod and bring in boulders at big houses on large lots. The owners were never there, always lived in Texas back then.
We’re all tunnel trash in our own ways.
It’s not ruined, it’s a vacation town.
More like Chicago than the country.

1. I’m not moving out there because I actually respect the WILDerness.
2. Kevin Costner can kma.
Nobody cares that you’re a fifth generation Montanan. We’re all immigrants.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what we were talking about, but ok.

The main point is that a lot of current ski/mountain towns and the residents around them feel like there has been a lot of/excessive growth. It doesn't mean moving to town is a bad thing, it just means they don't like seeing more and more houses pop up where aspens once stood, or on what is primarily elk and deer range, or taking productive ag land out of use.

Given that is the case, why do you think doing that exact same thing somewhere else would yield a different result, especially since the residents of those areas have already seen firsthand the cautionary tales that other places offer?

Snowmobile, backcountry class, safety equipment, etc. with what you’ll save by not buying in a resort town. E scout in some rural areas with good snowfall and find the nearest cabin for sale haha.

Back