Anyone from Pendleton OR area?

ScottP

WKR
My wife got offered a job in Pendleton, OR. Was wondering if anyone who lives or has lived there would care to share perspectives on the outdoor possibilities there?

I've never been to the state of Oregon, and we have to decide this week on the job. No opportunity to visit. I've done a fair bit of internet research, but would like to hear from like-minded folks on rokslide. I've had a great 2yr run here in northern CO, and have a hard time considering moving somewhere I can't get to the mountains in 45min.

wapitibob

WKR
Pendleton is reasonably close to WW and Wenaha units for scouting fun or you can head down to La Grande area for your gen archery fix. You can probably be up in Elk/Deer country by La Grande in an hour.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
Pendleton is reasonably close to WW and Wenaha units for scouting fun or you can head down to La Grande area for your gen archery fix. You can probably be up in Elk/Deer country by La Grande in an hour.

Thanks wapitibob, good to know. Being able to have an archery tag every year is definitely a plus.

OR Archer

WKR
Its a good location for accessing a lot of Oregon's better hunting opportunities. Some good OTC elk opportunities near there.

OTC elk, good waterfowl if your into that, the deschutes river is not to far for fly fishing, and your right next to arguably one of the best smallmouth rivers in the country.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
Thanks guys. Keep it rolling... I need all the info I can gather up. I do love me some smallmouth fishing, especially with fly gear.

gwl79902

WKR
Steelhead fishing in town can be good. Upland bird is great. Warm water fish in local reservoirs is good. Houses are or at least were cheap. People are good with a fair amount of crime. Pendleton roundup is huge. Spike elk tags in local units are typically a second choice draw so you can save points for good units.

charvey9

WKR
Its a decent place to live. My wife is from there. Lots of OTC archery in Oregon, and lots off good spots on the East side of the state.

lintond

WKR
I drive clear across the state to hunt on the eastern side of the state. I wouldn't mind living in Pendleton.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
45 min to the mountains is prob about right. That part of OR is unique for sure, I do like La Grande and Baker is beautiful! If you like shed hunting then the snake river canyon is for you. I nearly took a job in Hermiston last year so I took a fair amount of time looking around the area. You wouldn't be too far from one of the best Mulie units anywhere in Unit 22 in Idaho.

I took a job in NE instead definitely made the wrong decision for outdoor activities.

I have lived in Pendleton for about 6 years. It's a pretty nice place to live and people are friendly. Finding a decent house can be a pain, it just takes a little looking.
You can be up in the mountains in around an hour but if your coming from Colorado you will probably be disappointed with our mule deer population.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
45 min to the mountains is prob about right. That part of OR is unique for sure, I do like La Grande and Baker is beautiful! If you like shed hunting then the snake river canyon is for you. I nearly took a job in Hermiston last year so I took a fair amount of time looking around the area. You wouldn't be too far from one of the best Mulie units anywhere in Unit 22 in Idaho.

I took a job in NE instead definitely made the wrong decision for outdoor activities.

Thanks much. Love shed hunting, and a good buddy of mine hunts mulies somewhere in that part of Idaho.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
I have lived in Pendleton for about 6 years. It's a pretty nice place to live and people are friendly. Finding a decent house can be a pain, it just takes a little looking.
You can be up in the mountains in around an hour but if your coming from Colorado you will probably be disappointed with our mule deer population.

Thanks Benny. Well, I can only archery hunt mule deer about every other year near my home in CO, so i have to travel to hunt deer anyway. I know CO has super elk and deer populations, but as long as there are decent opportunities in OR, I think I'll be ok.

The only thing that OR has over CO is steelhead and salmon fishing. I still would never trade OR for CO. When I lived in CA I hunted OR. It takes 3-4 years to draw decent mulie/elk tags that have success rates in the 30%'s. You can do that every year here in CO, with much better success rates. Oregon is a beautiful state with great people, and I would be happy in either Or or CO. I just don't think it is on the same level as CO for big game opportunities.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
The only thing that OR has over CO is steelhead and salmon fishing. I still would never trade OR for CO. When I lived in CA I hunted OR. It takes 3-4 years to draw decent mulie/elk tags that have success rates in the 30%'s. You can do that every year here in CO, with much better success rates. Oregon is a beautiful state with great people, and I would be happy in either Or or CO. I just don't think it is on the same level as CO for big game opportunities.

Yeah, that is what I'm gathering from my research. But, there IS big game hunting along with all the other quality of life stuff, so not so bad. Tradeoffs for sure. Wish I could visit the area first...

Yeah, that is what I'm gathering from my research. But, there IS big game hunting along with all the other quality of life stuff, so not so bad. Tradeoffs for sure. Wish I could visit the area first...

Yes, there is big game hunting. And OR is a very beautiful, I loved every minute I spent there. Plus, you can always come back to CO to hunt, and Idaho is very close as well. Another point, I am not sure where in CO you are, but the front range is getting downright awful. Traffic is horrible and it is way to big for me. Western CO is great, but I am not sure how I could make a living out there. Unfortunately, my family and I will probably leave CO once my project is complete in 2016.

Go to maps.google.com and head over to Pendleton. Grab the little yellow guy and go for an "electronic drive". It's a great way to check out the area.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
Yes, there is big game hunting. And OR is a very beautiful, I loved every minute I spent there. Plus, you can always come back to CO to hunt, and Idaho is very close as well. Another point, I am not sure where in CO you are, but the front range is getting downright awful. Traffic is horrible and it is way to big for me. Western CO is great, but I am not sure how I could make a living out there. Unfortunately, my family and I will probably leave CO once my project is complete in 2016.

Go to maps.google.com and head over to Pendleton. Grab the little yellow guy and go for an "electronic drive". It's a great way to check out the area.

Yep you're right, we can always come back to CO for elk season since I've put 2yrs into learning my little corner of CO now, and its OTC archery and lots of leftover cow tags for rifle. We live smack dab in the center of North Park, but I commute to Laramie to work. Winter is looonnggg up here at 8,300'.

I will go do some more electronic driving, since I'm at work with a high speed connection. haha.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
4y7u5a8y.jpg
aqy5a8ug.jpg
y8amy7eb.jpg
a

Here's some pics of what awaits you nearby.... The canyon pic is maybe 3 hours or slightly less from Pendleton.

My retirement will be in Joseph, OR (in 30 years)... 2 hours 30 from you. Prettiest place I've ever been.... Like some have said you might take a slight hit on the big game but the fishing is unreal..... I caught 16 sturgeon in one day last time I was on the big river(fantastic day). Pheasant can be had around Hermiston/Boardman and there's also some great water fowling.

Keep us updated.... I need to live vicariously through someone with some opportunity at hand!

Pendleton is a good place, I live about an hour north of there in Washington, can think of a lot of places that would be worse to live in. 69ChrisCraft, WTH were you thinking, picking NE over OR!? LOL