Pendleton, OR

My boss just pitched having me travel from Seattle down to Pendleton, OR next year for a project. It's only 9-10 months and would likely be January - October 2024. I'd maintain WA residency, but with housing, per diem and what not being covered by the company I'd be okay with shelling out some cash for non-res tags. I'm thinking spring bear (draw system I believe, but I wanted to start applying next year anyway) and turkey, maybe some fall tags if the season dates work out. I have a 14' jon boat that's setup for all sorts of fishing and duck hunting as well. I'm single, no kids, so pretty flexible.

Anyone have any insight on other hunting/fishing opportunities out there that I should look into?

Last edited:
Go south of Pendleton and there's some turkey opportunities. As far as fishing, the Columbia is your best bet for multiple species. Though, not sure if a small john boat would be safe on such a large river, but I could be wrong as I don't know that portion of the river. Wind and the Columbia can be a nasty combination.

Good luck!

ScottP

WKR
I lived there for 8 years. Not sure what draw odds are for spring bear for NR. Turkey are distributed across the Blues, and the hunting can be great. There are off-columbia river waterfowl opportunities you can try without a boat. Three national wildlife refuges and Wanaket which is managed by the CTUIR. You can hunt the WA side too at Burbank.

Pheasant is best on private lands but there are some public ops. Chukar is a couple hour drive if that's your thing.

Go over to Enterprise and hike in the Wallowas. Stop at Terminal Gravity brewery on your way in/out.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Pendleton. I hunt all the units around here. I also have a boat on the Columbia River and I fish all the small lakes by kayak and flyfish the small streams.
The hot unit around here for spring bear is Mt. Emily. However, I didnt draw a tag with 6 points and if we get late snow storms you might not even be able to get out there in the spring.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
There are a bunch of new apartments being built by the college. They are right next to the train tracks though.
I would try to avoid any rentals downtown or near the river.

Last edited:

NWVeteran

FNG
Some really good duck/goose hunting on the Columbia over there. Tons of birds. If you’re willing to take an hour drive head towards Tygh Valley or down towards John Day you can get into some good turkey hunting. The strawberry mountains right by Pendleton has some awesome turkey hunting as well.

As for bear, as a non res you’re going to have a hell of a time pulling a spring bear tag, especially without points, ESPECIALLY in any eastern Oregon units. Your best bet is going to be SW Oregon which does have a high density but I believe it has been 100% or near 100% draw odds the last couple years for non res spring bear. That’s basically your only option.

ScottP

WKR
@ScottP @whiskeysierra762 Appreciate the input, any places to avoid in terms of rental house/apartment?
I lived on the south side of town, south of I-84 up near the hospital, and liked that area. The business district and old part of town is in the old river flood plain behind a levee system. The north hill area is pretty desirable and has a mix of housing options. The rental market was tight there, most people I know that rented got nice places by word of mouth. but you never know!

cool thing about that area in general is that hunting season is long if you do both big game and birds (late Aug - Jan), and the weather and access are good enough you can camp early spring well into and past elk season. So not many excuses to sit on the couch.

good luck!

Rick

FNG
I haven't lived there for many, many years but you don't need to limit yourself to Oregon. 1-2 hours away and you are hunting Eastern WA.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I haven't lived there for many, many years but you don't need to limit yourself to Oregon. 1-2 hours away and you are hunting Eastern WA.
Oh yeah, there's a few spots I've been meaning to check out down that way that. Mostly wondering how I can supplement my Washington tags with Oregon tags ideal for the Pendleton area.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Can anyone point me in the right direction for some public land coyote hunting around there that would be accessible in the winter?

No idea if that would be tightly kept info or not, just haven't gotten out much this duck season and I'm itching to get out after the move. Kinda just need a starting point to explore out from.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have anything useful to offer other than i drive through Pendleton 2 weeks ago...got gas and coffee at a local place...and drooled over this little blonde girl in the shortest booty shorts i have EVER seen (in public).

pirogue

WKR
Lived there for many years, before getting out. OR may be the most unfriendly NR state for drawing big game tags, unless you just want a spike elk tag. Above posts reiterate same for bear.