Tell me why I shouldn't move to wyoming...

I moved back to Wyoming after 20 years or so of military and gov “service”. The locals are both friendly and a little distrusting of outsiders. Especially if you say don’t wear jeans and old shirts 24/7. Personally, I don’t give a damn, Wyoming needs all of the votes it can get to keep it the way it is, right now I’m watching a political race in the Casper area and I’m worried because Julie Jarvis, a “republican” candidate is absolutely and obviously a Dem running as a Repub, a liberal in conservative clothing. We CANNOT let Wyoming go down the road of Idaho, Montana, and Colorado. Make your stand here.

Oh, and I’m a special case. If folks ask if I’m around here, I explain that I just moved back, but my family has been here continuously since 1867. And (this is a very western/Wyoming reference), they really get quiet if I mention we’ve got 2 NFR champions in my immediate family and I’ve got a rifle on my mantle that spilled blood in the Johnson County Range War 😎

This isn't Wyoming-related, but I will say as a diesel tech myself... for my entire life I've wanted to live in Montana. With what real estate costs, it just isn't feasible and I say this with my wife being an RN with 14 years experience.

We would both need to work overtime to afford to live in Montana, and honestly that would take away the whole reason I wanted to live there. What good is living there when I would need to spend 50+ hours 6 days a week at work to afford it? Oh goodie, I can go out on my one day off. Vacation? You mean staycation or cashing in my PTO? I realize that "technically" this means I could afford it, but I'm a work to live kinda guy, not live to work.

We're both working class. We have some savings but nothing substantial enough to sway our would-be house payments. Perhaps if mortgage rates went down to COVID levels again it might be more realistic but with what they are currently(and what wages are there)... no way.

OP
S
This isn't Wyoming-related, but I will say as a diesel tech myself... for my entire life I've wanted to live in Montana. With what real estate costs, it just isn't feasible and I say this with my wife being an RN with 14 years experience.

We would both need to work overtime to afford to live in Montana, and honestly that would take away the whole reason I wanted to live there. What good is living there when I would need to spend 50+ hours 6 days a week at work to afford it? Oh goodie, I can go out on my one day off. Vacation? You mean staycation or cashing in my PTO? I realize that "technically" this means I could afford it, but I'm a work to live kinda guy, not live to work.

We're both working class. We have some savings but nothing substantial enough to sway our would-be house payments. Perhaps if mortgage rates went down to COVID levels again it might be more realistic but with what they are currently(and what wages are there)... no way.
Housing expenses are the real dream killer these days.
We are in a good position to make a lateral into a smaller home with more acreage in most areas we are considering. The goal would be to get out there dept free and not need huge income to live comfortably and still be able to save for retirement and live life.
I certainly understand not wanting to live to work to just to make ends meet and have no intentions to do so.
I think most folks that can manage not carrying personal dept can make it about anywhere they choose financially speaking, it's all about living within your means, knowing your long term goals and having a few plans to reach them.
We certainly won't make ourselves house poor in the process. That's never a good place to be.

I've been wanting to look into this more and just honestly haven't had the time or real reason yet...how is the starlink service ? How's the pricing out there?
The pricing is the same as anywhere else in the US ( https://www.starlink.com/service-plans )and in 6 months (including tail end of spring/winter), it’s been great in the Sheridan area in the literal shadow of the Bighorns. Never had an issue and I telecommute 5 days a week. The self heating antenna works, it lets you know when it’s melting ice/snow. Starlink beats the local wireless internet options hands down on speed, I’ve checked with my neighbors.

Your wife could work at the VA hospital in Sheridan and there’s several cheaper communities around here, but you’d have to figure out your own employment.

elkliver

WKR
Oh, and I’m a special case. If folks ask if I’m around here, I explain that I just moved back, but my family has been here continuously since 1867. And (this is a very western/Wyoming reference), they really get quiet if I mention we’ve got 2 NFR champions in my immediate family and I’ve got a rifle on my mantle that spilled blood in the Johnson County Range War 😎
Who are the two NFR Champions?

go_deep

WKR
I moved back to Wyoming after 20 years or so of military and gov “service”. The locals are both friendly and a little distrusting of outsiders. Especially if you say don’t wear jeans and old shirts 24/7. Personally, I don’t give a damn, Wyoming needs all of the votes it can get to keep it the way it is, right now I’m watching a political race in the Casper area and I’m worried because Julie Jarvis, a “republican” candidate is absolutely and obviously a Dem running as a Repub, a liberal in conservative clothing. We CANNOT let Wyoming go down the road of Idaho, Montana, and Colorado. Make your stand here.

Who's rifle do you have? How did you obtain it?

Yeah, that's the most bs answer you could have given. Who's was it? And how'd you get it?
Sorry, anonymous internet person, not sharing family details and names publicly. Either you can understand that or come out to my area and insult me in person, I don’t care. A gentleman wouldn’t sling insults like that when told no on personal details online. It’s up to you to man up or dig deeper on insults.

manitou1

WKR

Yeah, if you look at voting records and the numbers in state legislature we are losing battle. Rinos galore.
This next election will make us or break us.

Too many here vote for "friends" or the "neighbor down the road who has horses" without researching their agenda and voting record.

There is a movement here to stack libs on the republican ticket... heck that's how many incumbants got in.

Yeah, if you look at voting records and the numbers in state legislature we are losing battle. Rinos galore.
This next election will make us or break us.

Too many here vote for "friends" or the "neighbor down the road who has horses" without researching their agenda and voting record.

There is a movement here to stack libs on the republican ticket... heck that's how many incumbants got in.
Yup, scary how you can see it in action. They are claiming to be pro gun first, to throw off the scent.

go_deep

WKR
Sorry, anonymous internet person, not sharing family details and names publicly. Either you can understand that or come out to my area and insult me in person, I don’t care. A gentleman wouldn’t sling insults like that when told no on personal details online. It’s up to you to man up or dig deeper on insults.

No insult, fact, your vague, and unwilling to give any really information.

No insult, fact, your vague, and unwilling to give any really information.
Want the serial number? My full name? Family history? Skip rocks, out of stater. If you can’t understand why I don’t want to provide these publicly to some random internet person, I don’t know what to tell you. For those that know, my family history speaks for itself and a little politeness would’ve gone a long way. Instead, skip rocks.

go_deep

WKR
Want the serial number? My full name? Family history? Skip rocks, out of stater. If you can’t understand why I don’t want to provide these publicly to some random internet person, I don’t know what to tell you. For those that know, my family history speaks for itself and a little politeness would’ve gone a long way. Instead, skip rocks.

You seem like a calm cool guy...

Your wife could work at the VA hospital in Sheridan and there’s several cheaper communities around here, but you’d have to figure out your own employment.
I don't suppose you'd be willing to shoot me some info on those cheaper communities? My wife had a job option in Laramie but it was about 60% her salary here in TX and I couldn't make the numbers work with our debt (I know, working on it). My boys lived in Cheyenne for three years so I spent a ton of time up there, liked it well enough but Cheyenne isn't what I want for my forever home I don't think.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to shoot me some info on those cheaper communities? My wife had a job option in Laramie but it was about 60% her salary here in TX and I couldn't make the numbers work with our debt (I know, working on it). My boys lived in Cheyenne for three years so I spent a ton of time up there, liked it well enough but Cheyenne isn't what I want for my forever home I don't think.
No problem, message inbound.