Anyone dress as traditionally as their muzzleloader?

Yes! I realize I need some wool too. I want the wet/freezing in buckskin experience once haha.

I also didn't realize that it would take so many skins. Any recommendations on places to source wool and patterns?
Sorry it took a while to get back to you, been hunting deer for the last three days (with a muzzleloader) crazy crow is a good place to start for patterns, Chas townsen is another good place for patterns,material and all ready made clothing, if there are any gatherings of muzzleloader shooters in your area is another good source, such as rondevous, traditional muzzleloader shoots and clubs. As to buckskin clothing say a shirt figure one hide for back one for front and one each for the sleeves, then if you want any fringe or a cape on the shirt thats another one. Leggins one hide each, not sure on the pants as I wear knee breeches made of wool, or canvas ( carhart material ) or linen depends on the weather. Also there is a site TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING FORUM that is a wealth of knowledge on all the old ways. Lots of good folks there and willing to share years of experience and knowledge.

Last edited:
I had a goal to hunt my home state this year with a traditional muzzleloader. Something like a Hawken or a Kentucky rifle. Unfortunately I could never find the caps needed, and I waffled around too long to find a flintlock (also, those seem more spendy, but I digress).

I've also taken up sewing. To up the ante on my previous goal, I'm thinking of sewing myself either wool or deerskin pants and top for next year. Maybe a wool-lined deer skin. Who knows. Just kinda want to have some more fun with it.

That doesn't mean I'll be giving up all modern items. I'll 100% keep my binoculars and rangefinder.

Anyone else find they were born in the wrong century and run around looking a little silly for our times? I'd love to hear about it.
Not yet but I am all for it. I always hunt from stands and generally wear rubber boots. If I were going all out traditional I would have to hunt from the ground I guess. There is a series of dvds of brothers in SC that hunt in primitive gear