Idaho Steelhead Run

tbro16

FNG
Curious if theres anyone around the Boise area that wouldn't mind helping me out a bit. I'm a travel nurse that just took an assignment in town for the next 5 months. All I care to do on my days off is fish. I've never caught an Idaho steelhead before and thats really goal #1. I can imagine they'd be tough to find if not recently stocked in the Boise river? If so, I'd be happy to drive a few hours and wade through the Clearwater/Salmon rivers to find some action. Just looking for some help, as I don't fully understand how/when they run in certain stretches of certain rivers. Also looking for a little direction on which rivers or stretches of rivers that ice up enough to make wade fishing tough to impossible this time of the year. If I get desperate enough down the road I may book a guide but I'd like to at least give it a shot myself first. If you're looking for a trade I'd be glad to offer a spot in my boat for some good walleye fishing later this spring/summer back in Minnesota + Wisconsin.

Probably a bit early for me to talk spring bear season so I'll stick to the trout for now!

280Ackley

WKR
I would highly recommend reaching out to Reeltime fishing and going with them as a single fill in seat. They are top notch and will get you on multiple fish. I take my own boat out in September and October on the lower Clearwater and do really well. I went two years ago with Reeltime with a couple clients and we had over 20 fish in the boat in one day. D825870D-198D-4FFB-841C-FED4835D2970.jpeg668B0D93-D3EB-4895-9F45-A7DC0701BC81.jpeg0EA8A5B0-EE29-4772-8B66-1CA2E306A91D.jpeg832B6EE4-3E18-4E3C-9E40-3ABA040A0BB6.jpeg9DB598D9-596C-484F-B154-EA18DA6C797A.jpeg7846DBEF-9BCB-419D-83A3-2FCD2F5F687D.jpegE57F7CA3-8C5B-49F6-BE64-4DF41C6B8D94.jpeg

If you want to try without a guide,Head up to Riggins and turn up the main Salmon just south of town. They are in the river now. There is fishable water up to the end of the road at Vinegar Creek.

Marble

WKR
Curious if theres anyone around the Boise area that wouldn't mind helping me out a bit. I'm a travel nurse that just took an assignment in town for the next 5 months. All I care to do on my days off is fish. I've never caught an Idaho steelhead before and thats really goal #1. I can imagine they'd be tough to find if not recently stocked in the Boise river? If so, I'd be happy to drive a few hours and wade through the Clearwater/Salmon rivers to find some action. Just looking for some help, as I don't fully understand how/when they run in certain stretches of certain rivers. Also looking for a little direction on which rivers or stretches of rivers that ice up enough to make wade fishing tough to impossible this time of the year. If I get desperate enough down the road I may book a guide but I'd like to at least give it a shot myself first. If you're looking for a trade I'd be glad to offer a spot in my boat for some good walleye fishing later this spring/summer back in Minnesota + Wisconsin.

Probably a bit early for me to talk spring bear season so I'll stick to the trout for now!
If you like fly fishing and catching wild rainbows, take a travel spot in Redding, CA. Best time is between August thru October, but it's great fishing year round. All the fish are wild and catching a fish over 20" is common and 25" nakedness a bit too.

If you have access to a drift boat, you'll catch 20 to 30 fish on a float during the better times.

Is often rated in the top 5 trout rivers in the US.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
tbro16

tbro16

FNG
Looks like an unreal day @280Ackley. I've been on their site and didn't realize they offered the single tag along trip. I will be looking into that!

Thank you @Customweld! It seems like Riggins is a good place for a rookie like me to start. Looks like there are multiple rivers in the area holding some fish this time of the year. I have a stretch of days off in the coming weeks, good chance I end up checking it out.

I actually had a trip planned for the area around Redding, CA a few years back but COVID cancelled it. Eventually I'll make it out there! Not often the best fishing of the year comes in August/September. @Marble

Marble

WKR
@tbro16 I went this morning and it was unreal. Just wading I caught 7, lost 4. Had a couple around 20 inches and had one run me down to the end of my backing, come 3 feet out of the water and break me off.

About 3-4 days ago I figured out what they were biting. Mr and my buddy were catching fish and everyone else was just staring at us.

It's an awesome fishery.

This was the best looking one this morning. Caught two others a little bigger but not as pretty.
f8256f7076d172b1b3e809918f41c361.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
When I hunted out there we stayed at Pinehurst and watched people catch some. If you go to Riggins make sure to ge the pot roast special at the seven devils it is the best I have had.

IdahoElk

WKR
I would highly recommend reaching out to Reeltime fishing and going with them as a single fill in seat. They are top notch and will get you on multiple fish. I take my own boat out in September and October on the lower Clearwater and do really well. I went two years ago with Reeltime with a couple clients and we had over 20 fish in the boat in one day. View attachment 485148View attachment 485149View attachment 485150View attachment 485152View attachment 485158View attachment 485159View attachment 485160

Nice wild one I see

Reel time and Kyle jones are guides in that area. I have fished around them at buoy 10 a lot....don’t know em but that have their programs together I believe. ALSO If your around in the spring sometimes they have a spring chinook season and I would highly recommend that. Best eating salmon ever especially the ones bound for the upper water sheds of The Pacific NW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Stanley down to Salmon the river is iced up big time. There is some open water but shelf ice is blocking the edge. A lot of ice floating too. Road up and over Banner summit (called Avalanche Alley) can be shut down so you have to drive back the long way. Just something to think about. If you want to see the country come on up. A lot of animals down low this time of year. Bring you woolies we've been below 0 to upper teens of a night for over a month now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Stanley down to Salmon the river is iced up big time. There is some open water but shelf ice is blocking the edge. A lot of ice floating too. Road up and over Banner summit (called Avalanche Alley) can be shut down so you have to drive back the long way. Just something to think about. If you want to see the country come on up. A lot of animals down low this time of year. Bring you woolies we've been below 0 to upper teens of a night for over a month now.
Ain't that the truth. It was 30 today and felt like a heat wave . Can't keep the deer out of the road at this point. About time for catching whitefish around here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
tbro16

tbro16

FNG
Hold on here, need ya'll to slow down. I've got about 12 different google maps tabs open, you're giving me a headache!! 😂 Seriously though, thank you.

Before I had booked this contract I would road-trip out here a few times a summer just to fish. I once drove 1500 miles, each way, to specifically target perch sized Kokanee in Eureka, MT. Luckily I caught a few nice rainbows in central Montana along the way to make the trip a bit more worth it!! So yes, I’d be very interested in the chinook run @derrick454@ 😂

Attachments

• 5EB345C9-65E7-4AF0-A279-CD2A2FA96650.jpeg
    5EB345C9-65E7-4AF0-A279-CD2A2FA96650.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 42A5D40B-5D2B-4947-933B-2DB968D4B5E1.png
    42A5D40B-5D2B-4947-933B-2DB968D4B5E1.png
    1 MB · Views: 50
OP
tbro16

tbro16

FNG
Unfortunately, I’m still a spin guy. I’m hoping that changes while I’m here, but for now I’m still a rookie throwing a big spinner. I just purchased another rod/reel setup to have a float rod as well. That’s a whole new deal.

I was actually just watching some YT videos of guys fishing in the Orofino area just under the Dworshak dam. They were in a boat but some areas looked wadeable.

Dang, @Marble great work!! That’s goals right there! If you ever need a fishing partner you know where to reach me!! I’ll drive and buy the beer 😂