Anyone dress as traditionally as their muzzleloader?

I had a goal to hunt my home state this year with a traditional muzzleloader. Something like a Hawken or a Kentucky rifle. Unfortunately I could never find the caps needed, and I waffled around too long to find a flintlock (also, those seem more spendy, but I digress).

I've also taken up sewing. To up the ante on my previous goal, I'm thinking of sewing myself either wool or deerskin pants and top for next year. Maybe a wool-lined deer skin. Who knows. Just kinda want to have some more fun with it.

That doesn't mean I'll be giving up all modern items. I'll 100% keep my binoculars and rangefinder.

Anyone else find they were born in the wrong century and run around looking a little silly for our times? I'd love to hear about it.

SIR_34:16

FNG
I have a buddy who does French and Indian war era reinactments and wears his traditional garb. I don't go that far but do wear gray wool pants and red plaid wool coat. Our state only allows flintlocks for the late muzzleloader season.

Dirtbag

WKR
A Hudson Bay point blanket style coat would likely be warmer and still time period correct. They look pretty cool. I'd definitely hunt in one but our muzzleloader seasons are always too warm and we have to wear orange.

lone-trapper.jpg

Yes.

Currently working on a flinter build.

I mistakenly didn't save my deer's hide last year. So, I gotta make sure I arrow another one this year so I can get some moccasins and maybe a shirt or breeches made. I think I'll need 2 or 3 deer for all the skin I'll need.

I'm thinking on the next elk I get, I may have to tan the hide with fur and use that for insulation. Our muzzy season is Nov 2-10.

I had a goal to hunt my home state this year with a traditional muzzleloader. Something like a Hawken or a Kentucky rifle. Unfortunately I could never find the caps needed, and I waffled around too long to find a flintlock (also, those seem more spendy, but I digress).

I've also taken up sewing. To up the ante on my previous goal, I'm thinking of sewing myself either wool or deerskin pants and top for next year. Maybe a wool-lined deer skin. Who knows. Just kinda want to have some more fun with it.

That doesn't mean I'll be giving up all modern items. I'll 100% keep my binoculars and rangefinder.

Anyone else find they were born in the wrong century and run around looking a little silly for our times? I'd love to hear about it.
Did you ever get a ML? You can nearly always get scheutzen musket caps (which are good and hot) from grafs.com and get a musket nipple with correct threads. They just usually have them in stock in large qty like 3000.

If you can find a Lyman GPR flinter used you might get one for $500 and those are reported to be pretty reliable locks. They pop up on muzzleloadingforum.com pretty regularly

FLATHEAD

WKR
Green Jeans and plaid for me.
The orange requirement kinda kills the period correct vibe.

Grew up doing the rondevous every summer, all summer.

Zero desire to run around the woods in that kinda gear

EdP

WKR
Every once in a while, on my own land I will dress period correct to match my flintlock. Mostly it's not worth the trouble but is fun.

As a F&I living historian of many years I do at times. But the area I hunt there is no one else there during our muzzle loader seasons ( as a matter of fact for any seasons been hunting there for the past 15 or so years with my dad until he passed and now I hunt alone ) I have the mountain all to my self. As stated the pumpkin requirement is a un-favorable requirement but a necessary one (both the law and safety reasons) I had a period correct waiste coat made in blaze orange big enough to go over the other clothing works well, also a touque of knitted orange wool for colder hunts, Very little deer skin clothing except my leggings, ( if really cold I wear wool leggings) my mocs. I make and use elk. as to keeping warm never had a problem it just takes a bit of planning as to what clothing to wear, (think wool and then some more wool) For me it adds to the experience when carrying the flint long rifle, hunting bag and powder horn. Tock-O for the skins which you want to make clothing out of 1 hide will make a pair of mocs. or two, they wear fast so get used to patching them, think 5 hides for a shirt and at least 4 for the knee breeches and those are from bigger deer, the other thing about buck skin clothing its not that warm, and horrible when wet. wool and linen is your friend and period correct also better in cold weather. Our early muzzle loader season opener is tomorrow all the gear is laid out and ready to go. Have fun on your journey and good hunting.

As a F&I living historian of many years I do at times. But the area I hunt there is no one else there during our muzzle loader seasons ( as a matter of fact for any seasons been hunting there for the past 15 or so years with my dad until he passed and now I hunt alone ) I have the mountain all to my self. As stated the pumpkin requirement is a un-favorable requirement but a necessary one (both the law and safety reasons) I had a period correct waiste coat made in blaze orange big enough to go over the other clothing works well, also a touque of knitted orange wool for colder hunts, Very little deer skin clothing except my leggings, ( if really cold I wear wool leggings) my mocs. I make and use elk. as to keeping warm never had a problem it just takes a bit of planning as to what clothing to wear, (think wool and then some more wool) For me it adds to the experience when carrying the flint long rifle, hunting bag and powder horn. Tock-O for the skins which you want to make clothing out of 1 hide will make a pair of mocs. or two, they wear fast so get used to patching them, think 5 hides for a shirt and at least 4 for the knee breeches and those are from bigger deer, the other thing about buck skin clothing its not that warm, and horrible when wet. wool and linen is your friend and period correct also better in cold weather. Our early muzzle loader season opener is tomorrow all the gear is laid out and ready to go. Have fun on your journey and good hunting.

Yes! I realize I need some wool too. I want the wet/freezing in buckskin experience once haha.

I also didn't realize that it would take so many skins. Any recommendations on places to source wool and patterns?

OP
Dos Perros
Did you ever get a ML? You can nearly always get scheutzen musket caps (which are good and hot) from grafs.com and get a musket nipple with correct threads. They just usually have them in stock in large qty like 3000.

If you can find a Lyman GPR flinter used you might get one for $500 and those are reported to be pretty reliable locks. They pop up on muzzleloadingforum.com pretty regularly

I haven't bought one yet. I'm pretty ignorant on them. I need a mentor.

OP
Dos Perros
Not a chance. I’ve grown very fond of being warm, dry, and comfortable…
I get to be warm, dry, and comfortable every other day of the year. I like it to suck sometimes.

Besides, late November/early December can be downright pleasant in western Kansas at times.

Im right there with ya. I think that'd be awesome to try and hope ya give it a go. In today's world it seems the fun and feeling of accomplishment is diminishing fast, at least for me it would if I hunted like I see on certain hunting shows. With all the comforts and tech. It's like watching someone harvest a cow.
Food plots and bait stations, a Zillon trail cameras. Etc etc. Hell they even name thier deer for f**ksake.
"Oh there's droptine Joe, I've been monitoring him since he was a yearling....yada yada. Hope I get him this evenings hunt."
Sure as shit they do. I don't see how that's any fun at all when you know the animal so well that you know the time of his bowl movements. Lol it's be like harvesting a livestock for the table. That's why I like watching the hunting public folks.
Sorry went off on a tangent but I say give it a go and hell with what someone else thinks about the way your dressed

Harvey_NW

WKR
My dad is a professional leather worker and years ago my brother was a coyote killing machine and had our dad make him a vest, it was epic. I don't kill too many yotes but the next bear I get will be quality soft tanned so I can make one.