Any pack with no belt, but has a sheet/structure for decent rigidity for travel?

bozeman

WKR
Anyone make a pack that can keep some decent form with a sheet/frame but no hip belt for around 15 lbs? Need some help on international travel and dont want a hip belt........open to ideas. Thanks!

MattB

WKR
Not sure if this is in the realm of what you are looking for, but I have the original Mystery Ranch Mission Rover which I dearly love for 3-5 day trips. It has shoulder straps and a sling-style shoulder strap but no belt. The newer version has a belt I believe.

You can remove the hip belt on a SG Avail, keep it on when you want, or attach to one of their rigid frames.

There are lots of hippy dippy brands that make products like that, too.

wilbur007

FNG
I would look at the Hill People Gear Aston House Backcountry - about the same size as most "maximum legal size" carry on bags but its frame sheet and shoulder harness allow it to carry huge loads. (In case you need to haul a 5 gallon water jug back to your flat.) Marvelous pack.

The KUIU Venture 1800 has a rigid back and you can remove the hip belt. I have been very happy with the pack and the internal organization is well thought out.

Outwest

WKR
Mystery Ranch 2DAP. Framesheet/yoke sheet with a removable webbing waist belt. Great travel pack that can carry some weight fairly comfortably. I've been really happy with mine as an everyday/travel pack. Also has a laptop sleeve.

Superdoo

WKR
Mystery Ranch 2DAP. Framesheet/yoke sheet with a removable webbing waist belt. Great travel pack that can carry some weight fairly comfortably. I've been really happy with mine as an everyday/travel pack. Also has a laptop sleeve.
Yup. 2 day assault is real nice.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Thanks all.....researching these options now. Appreciate the quick responses.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
+3 for the Avail- especially if you could use a larger day pack that can haul a little weight when needed

it also has several ways to carry additional pieces of equipment like skis, snowshoes, ice axes, etc

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You can remove the hip belt from the Stone Glacier Avail. It uses a carbon frame, not a sheet.

The 5.11 RUSH 24 is an ok size for travel with a frame sheet. It looks very tactical though.

Kostrize

WKR
SG Kiowa is a great travel option if you want more space and still some good organization. Less technical but more spacious than an Avail. Works as a carry-on

Another vote for Stone Glacier’s Avail. I have used one daily for the last four years at work. The only wear other than being dirty is the inside fabric on the shoulder straps are starting to get fuzzy. To clean I break it down and remove the frame sheet and throw it in the washer and dryer. I know that isn’t the recommended way but it has been through at least a half dozen washes and is still going strong. I originally purchased it for a lightweight day hike scouting bag but when my cheap work bag yet again failed I grabbed this and never looked back. Bought another that now gets used more than any other pack I own. If the Stone Glacier Kiowa meets the carry on restrictions I would use it. The construction is the same so it should last.