Kifaru Rogan vs. Marsupial Gear Lumbar Pack

TX_Diver

WKR
Anyone used both that can comment on comfort, layout, capacity, etc?

Considering picking one up for some turkey hunting trips where I don't want a full pack but would like to be able to have some first aid stuff, a water bottle, some calls, a knife, etc. on me.

Marsupial Gear Lumbar Pack & Hip Belt

Kifaru Rogan

The Marsupial setup is $136 and the Kifaru is $160 w/ the similar belt. $80 if I grab the pack only and throw it on the field quiver belt.

Open to other less expensive ideas too as long as it's USA made.

sr80

WKR
welll kifaru is the only one that is named after the great joe rogan, so that one is way cooler. Might as well get that one. Wonder if rogan gets any royalties?

Hoghead

WKR
I have the rogan and like it. I use it when hunting the orchards and can drive to all the hogs. I keep a staple gun and first aid kit for the dogs. With room for more stuff.

Jon Boy

WKR
I took a chance on this for much cheaper than the other options and absolutely love it.

Pictured is mine loaded out with kill kit, possibles pouch, heavy gloves, puffy, head lamp, inreach, go pro, jet boil, mtn house and some other small items. Still a little room left. Pretty much everything for an all day tracking mission.
4175b0d70304c7f50413a1a0223feedb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I ended up grabbing the marsupial as it was on sale and seemed a bit more versatile.

Used it for a few turkey hunts where all I wanted to carry was some water, a first aid kit, in-reach, knife, and rangefinder. So far so good. Seems to be good quality and a solid layout that gives some options. I could see using it for misc. short trips to throw out a trail cam or two, or other short outings.

footingit

FNG
Adding some thoughts here since I looked at this recently too. The Kifaru battle belt looks less versatile than the Marsupial belt from what I can gather.

Marsupial can run any MOLLE accessory anywhere on it since the whole thing is covered in PALS webbing. The lumbar pack uses MOLLE attachment onto the belt, so you could technically run it off-center if you want. You can also attach a bird bag, or the shoulder harness system.

The Kifaru belt slides into a sleeve on the Rogan and uses Velcro to keep it in place. Doesn’t look like it would be easy to run a different pack on the belt system. And there’s no shoulder harness option.

The Marsupial pack looks a bit larger than the Rogan, but they seem to have similar features and organization. Both have PALS on the bottom, several zippered pockets, etc. Both can be run with their respective quivers. Both should be able to run on other belts.

I have no idea on comfort, the Kifaru belt seems like it might have more rigidity/structure. Marsupial belt is wider and might conform to hips better.

I ordered the Maruspial system (belt, harness, lumbar pack, and lots of pouches) and will probably post a write up on it once I’ve done some testing.

TaperPin

WKR
While I haven’t used that model, I did buy a big internal frame pack and they had a similar design where the top bag would mate to the hip belt. After hiking around with it one summer it wasn’t for me. Wearing it gives a feeling that’s different from a traditional pack. It wasn’t uncomfortable, but it does move around a lot if you’re a fast walker. I carry too much stuff and the deal breaker was hiking up a steep trail and the weight naturally wants to move forward and back sort of tapping your back.

If possible, it’s worth it to try one before getting too much money in it. I see experienced hikers with them every year, so you either like them or you don’t.

Many wildland fire crews use a lumbar pack, but it has thin shoulder straps to eliminate that back slap. That design can be loaded with more, but it’s best below 20lbs. The more weight hanging out behind your butt, the more you’ll lean forward slightly. I always kept a bulky fleece jacket inside so it looks heavier than it really was. In warm climates it does allow your back to get a lot more air.

Attachments

• 7B95D0A9-B1F7-4F24-B981-BBA39A6BCDB0.jpeg
    7B95D0A9-B1F7-4F24-B981-BBA39A6BCDB0.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 44
I ended up grabbing the marsupial as it was on sale and seemed a bit more versatile.

Used it for a few turkey hunts where all I wanted to carry was some water, a first aid kit, in-reach, knife, and rangefinder. So far so good. Seems to be good quality and a solid layout that gives some options. I could see using it for misc. short trips to throw out a trail cam or two, or other short outings.
Let us know what you think. I just ordered a mystery ranch high water, but it doesn’t fit your criteria anyway, but I got it for winter steelhead so being waterproof was the selling point and 70$ off on camofire was the catalyst… tis the season for buying stuff I don’t really need

I have been looking at the marsupial and Rogan as well for niche use, I miss the days of super minimalist hunting and want to revisit it a little

rousseb

FNG
I cannot speak on the kifaru, but I absolutely love my marsupial gear. I have pretty much every attachment they make and it’s perfect for a half day sit in the stand before or after work. Carries everything I need.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Let us know what you think. I just ordered a mystery ranch high water, but it doesn’t fit your criteria anyway, but I got it for winter steelhead so being waterproof was the selling point and 70$ off on camofire was the catalyst… tis the season for buying stuff I don’t really need

I have been looking at the marsupial and Rogan as well for niche use, I miss the days of super minimalist hunting and want to revisit it a little
I've been happy with the marsupial. Haven't put hands on a Rogan but the marsupial seems well made and is a better value IMO. I added a water bottle holder to it and put my rangefinder pouch on it also and it worked great. Super handy for the occasional 3d shoot where I just want to carry a water bottle too.

hoytrules

FNG
I have the rogan and use it for turkey hunting . I put it on my belt with kifaru quiver when shooting 3ds. Just ordered the marsupial belt and pack and a few accessories. . Going to it try with saddle hunting and stand hunting.

tony

WKR
Mountainsmith Day or Tour, set of strappettes.
Half the cost, all the function.

stump06

WKR
I had the rogan and sold it to get the marsupial. Both are great, the marsupial just fit my style a little better. The pack is a little bigger and I like the marsupial pockets. I also run a marsupial fishing pack and it carries about all I need as far as calls. I would give the edge to the marsupial as it is a little more versatile.

I use the black multi cam rogan with a high speed gear sure grip padded belt in black multi cam. This is the most comfortable set up I’ve ever had.