Pack for someone with a bad back?

I am on the search for a multi day meat hauling pack. I herniated a few disks in my back several years ago so I have to be picky in choosing my packs. Some of the packs make my back flare up. Does anyone else out there suffer from a bad back and can recommend a pack to try? I had a Mystery Ranch Pintler before that I sold. It fit fairly well. I have tried the Exo K3 and K4 packs. Workmanship is off the charts of those packs but sadly they make my back flare up. Most of my hunting is within a few miles of a trailhead or road. No more than 4ish miles max. A pack in the 2500 to 5500ci size range is what I am looking for. I am thinking of trying maybe a Stone Glacier or Kifaru or maybe even a Seek-outside

What does the braintrust of Rokslide think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Are your issues low back or high back? Some packs have a pretty aggressive lumbar pad that put really uncomfortable pressure on my low back (Kifaru and Stone Glacier). Seek Outside worked well for me with no lumbar pad and the uncaptured hip belt. I think Exo’s lumbar pads are removable too, but I never needed to with the K3. I pulled the lumbar pad off the SG I had, which helped with the pressure, but then the material was irritating to the skin through a thin shirt. I never tried pulling the lumbar pad off the Kifaru, and I’m not sure whether they’re removable or not. Kuiu works pretty well for me too as they have these little stabilizer straps on the sides that can help alleviate the issue.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I can symphasize with your dilema as I just had a microdiscectomy on my L-5 disc a week ago today. This was due to a herniated disc which was my second one in eight years with that same disc. I have only been backpack elk hunting for two years now so with that being said, I bought a used Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 pack that I've used for both hunts. I had tried to train this year starting in early January and struggled in early April/May when my disc issue really flared up. My hip belt, which sits directly on the lower back area, was very painful when my hip would spasm and go out of place due to the disc issue. I was able to get on some nerve medication that masked the pain which was the only way I was able to even go out this October for a couple day solo hunt. The steep terrain and cold started causing me issues so I left two days early from hunting but was thankful to have a couple days up the mountain.

This pack was a minimalist/lightweight pack which I liked, four lbs. total and the Evo frame keeps the bottom of the pack off your back some and the hip belt is somewhat more flexible which may help you. I don't think it's made anymore though but here's a review done by Rokslide for it: https://www.rokslide.com/stone-glacier-krux-evo-40-56-pack-review/.

I found that surgery was the only relief for me to continue elk hunting. I'm only 52 so I hope to be hunting for many more years. Last year I regularly trained with 70 lbs in my pack for many miles around my neighborhood and had 107 lbs. for one three mile training hike so I know the pack works well, it's me that's the problem... Perhaps consider finding a caring doctor and get surgery, then you'll be more free to choose the best pack without the consequences. If you were in Colorado, I could recommend a great doctor. Good luck on your search.

OP
T
It is lower back. I think a lot of my issues with packs are the lumbar pad putting too much pressure on my back and its causing my back to flare up.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My issue was my sciattic nerve being pressed upon by the herniated disc. I just talked with my doctor a couple hours ago at a checkup and found I had scar tissue issues on my nerve which was probably the cause for my nasty repeated spasms. My chiropractor didn't understand why my hip would go out so easy but he will understand once he finds out about the scar tissue. I'll say this, once my hip was corrected by my chiropractor, I could literally carry almost any weight I needed to on my pack so maybe, once again, a caring and competent chiropractor can assist you. The technology of todays surgeries is amazing. Not sure any pack will be helpful with lower back issues.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
Have an L5, S1 fusion and Laminectomy/otomy with titanium plate and screws at the same level. No other pack made feels better for my back than Kifaru (especially with heavy weight). I believe this is due to their hip belt. I have a hoodlum and also a Stryker with Sherman Pocket, and switch between the 2 set-ups depending on hunt length/area.

jimh406

WKR
I would focus more on improving your back than choosing a pack. There are a lot of things you can do to improve a back problem. Keep trying until you find something that works.

Those I know that had severe back pain found that simply walking was the best. Note: it was recommended by their Drs or Surgeons. Also, it takes a long time to recover from a back injury especially a disc issue.

In any case, good luck finding a solution that works for you.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I have a herniated disc and I have a stone Glacier terminus and that does well, but the load needs to be perfectly balanced. I’ve been trying the eberlestock F1 mainframe with the vapor pack and it seems to do pretty well. I haven’t done a full elk with it yet, but I feel it will be better than my stone Glacier and much better than my MR

It is lower back. I think a lot of my issues with packs are the lumbar pad putting too much pressure on my back and its causing my back to flare up.

The guys at initial ascent designed their packs because one of them had a really bad back, and nothing on the market was comfortable… may be worth a little research, I’ve never worn one, and don’t generally recommend them because I have no experience with them, but seems fitting to at least put it on your radar as an option

I can also relate. Had lower back fusion (L5 S1) in 2013. Thought my days of backpacking and hauling heavy loads was over at age 41. Since then I have used Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock and now the KUIU Pro for the last 6 years. Happy to report I’ve hauled numerous bulls and bucks since my surgery.
In my opinion backpacks are like boots. What’s “Best” is what works with your body...get one that fits and get to know all the adjustments that you can make to change the way the load sits…
You might have to try several. Buying used right here in the RS classifieds and reselling with minimal if any loss is a decent option.

The advice given already to work and strengthen your back is solid! I made the mistake of babying my back for a couple years after surgery for fear of hurting myself again. When I stopped being so careful/scared and actively started working out, stretching etc. I was able to do what I thought I never would again. Haven’t felt the need to change backpacks since then either….

just my .02

JacobM

FNG
You might try Hill People Gear. I have a low back problems and their packs are comfortable for me due to the prarie belt. I haven't ever had any loads over 50lbs but i dont see it being an issue.

danwolf

FNG
I never have herniated a disk but I had fractured a few vertebrae, L3 and L4. Current pack is the Kifaru duplex frame, and the discontinued straitjacket. I often spike camp with my gear in a camp bag, dump that and the straitjacket is super small. Day hunts I can carry really odd shaped gear, thats where it shines. I have had no issues with this pack given my back issues. So far the most I've carried on it was an entire caribou (meat, head and cape) without any back issues.

Since my injury I will say the main thing is to keep on doing PT / exercise. Use good form when lifting, standing up, knees over toes. Keep body weight down as much as possible, that keeps the pain away in my experience.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I put shim kit in my K3 4800… have herniated disc L4 and stenosis on L4/L5/S1. Was able to pack out buck 4.5 mile and bull 6. Helps I schedule an adjustment post hunting season too

GoatPackr

WKR
Lower back problems and I run Kifaru. The thing for me is making sure I keep those shoulder straps from putting weight on my shoulders thus putting weight on my back. Keeping the weight on my hips with a wide comfy belt makes all the difference. I'm 6'-5" and it was hard finding a pack that fit me properly. The Kifaru got me back into backpacking.

Kris

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I’m subscribing!

Also looking into pack goats…. Maybe extend my hunting years!

That's what I did. Now my day hunting pack is heavier than my overnight bag since I don't typically take my goats on day trips. I might change that though.