Kifaru Tactical Frame Fit Problem

Hey All!

So I just received a Kifaru Tactical 24 frame, Short shoulder straps, Small belt, with a Hoodlum in MC. I really want to like the set up, but in trying to fit the pack it feels terrible. I have watched Kifaru videos for frame/pack fitment and done some searching on the forum, but it still doesn't feels off. I have used Kuiu Icon Pro's and my last pack was an Exo K3. The Exo fit me pretty well (right now better than the Kifaru), but I was looking for something more so thought I would try Kifaru due to recommendations from many.

How I fit the pack:
1.loaded the pack with weight
2. adjusted the hip belt first
3. adjusted the shoulder straps
4. adjusted load lifters.
For reference the pack is loaded with 20ish lbs, I am 5'9'' and have a 31-32in hip size, 30 inch inseam. Here are my problems:

1.The shoulder straps seem to flare laterally out away from my shoulders. By that I mean when I look at the side of the straps in the mirror the inner edge of the straps touch my shoulders but the outer edges don't. I know I need a little space between my back and the shoulders for proper load lifter angle and not a giant loop or space. For reference my triglides are at or just barely above my clavicle, but are completely bottomed out and I have no more room to move lower. Do I need to lengthen or shorten my shoulder straps? Will this break in over time?

2. The hip belt seems to feel like it sags. As I tighten the belt to where it feels comfortable the gap in the front is about 3-4 inches, if I tighten anymore the belts will run out of adjustment. The hip belt wraps my wast so much when I bend forward the edge of the hip belt digs into my abdomen. I measured myself (again) and I am 30-33 inches depending on where I pull the tape across my waist so it seems like the belt size according to Kifaru is the correct size. It still doesn't feel like I'm carrying the weight as much as I want on my hips and it feels like the shoulder straps pull more on me.

If I can't solve the issues are get this working more I'll be putting it up for sale in the classifieds, which is a bummer because I wanted to love this pack. I have belt pouches and nalgene pocket as well and it seems to be what I was looking for so I'm hoping ya'll can help.

See pics for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    673.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7182.JPG
    IMG_7182.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7183.JPG
    IMG_7183.JPG
    538.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7185.JPG
    IMG_7185.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7186.JPG
    IMG_7186.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 75

MattB

WKR
Call Kifaru and have them walk you through it.

I can see your shoulder straps are not adjusted properly because of how they are bunching behind you. Relax the load lifters, tighten the shoulder straps, and then just snug up the load lifters.

The waist belt will feel like it wants to sag if you over tighten the straps that connect between the side of the belt and the bag. Those again should just be snug.

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
@MattB Is right on with the shoulder straps. You put it on in the right order but didn’t tighten the shoulder traps enough before setting the load lifters. If that is a small belt you may need an extra small. If you’ve only got 20 lbs in there you’ll wish it went smaller under a full load. Kifaru will square you away with those pictures.

gelton

WKR
As @MattB said - the most likely culprit are the straps from the belt to the bag, you don't want those tight at all, just snug and only barely so. If they are tight you will have issues getting the belt to wrap around your hips like it's designed.

My process is:
1. loosen the load lifters considerably
2. don the pack
3. tighten the shoulder straps
4. hook up and cinch down the belt
5. snug up the load lifters
6. then loosen the shoulder straps about 1/2 inch on both sides.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^^ Exactly what I do, I was just typing the same thing, the Tactical frame is an absolute beast for heavy loads, I have no desire to ever try anything else over my Kifaru packs, they kick ass..

OP
B
Thanks for the help my friends! I will make adjustments accordingly and retry.

Citizen

FNG
you have the shoulder straps set too long you need the three bar slider to be near your collarbone. Remove bag straps and adjust the shoulders down.

Call Kifaru and have them walk you through it.

I can see your shoulder straps are not adjusted properly because of how they are bunching behind you. Relax the load lifters, tighten the shoulder straps, and then just snug up the load lifters.

The waist belt will feel like it wants to sag if you over tighten the straps that connect between the side of the belt and the bag. Those again should just be snug.
This.

I just received a tactical frame yesterday. I also own the duplex lite. I find I need to run kifaru frames a little higher on my hips. Get that lumbar pad sitting right in the small of your back and try that. Also you need to shorten your torso length based on that picture as others have said

OP
B
New photo's. I also called Kifaru. And sent them the pictures. They are supposed to call me back... It definitely fits better and feels better. I also think I may need a smaller belt as y'all have suggested. The lumbar pad a sitting little higher as you mentioned, felt much better. Thanks for the tips regarding the belt and bag connection. I had those straps waayyyy to snug. That helped a bunch as well.

The shoulder straps and tri-glides are better angled (IMO). They still flare out tho and don't lay totally flat on my back. Is this how others have theirs fit?

I follow the fitment procedure as outlined below by Gelton:
My process is:
1. loosen the load lifters considerably
2. don the pack
3. tighten the shoulder straps
4. hook up and cinch down the belt
5. snug up the load lifters
6. then loosen the shoulder straps about 1/2 inch on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_7193.JPG
    IMG_7193.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7192.JPG
    IMG_7192.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7191.JPG
    IMG_7191.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7190.JPG
    IMG_7190.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7194.JPG
    IMG_7194.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7195.JPG
    IMG_7195.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 63

MattB

WKR
Your shoulder straps are still not quite adjusted correctly, pic 4 shows that the left still has excess length between the frame and the load lifter and has some weird angles to it. That should follow your back to top of shoulder better IMO.

Maybe add 15# and see if that changes the fit?

Looking better though.

Edit: check out this video, right about 7:00 Aron covers what I am describing.

Last edited:
OP
B
Thanks for the support! Kifaru called me back and said I don’t need a new belt in their opinion. I moved the load lifters per their advice, in addition to the suggestions here. It’s feeling better for sure and I think gonna work great. Going to try to hike and break it in a bit to get a feel for it. Thanks again.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found that the cupping you’re talking about on your shoulders goes away when you get a little weight in it. I’m about the same height as you and run the shoulder straps about a half inch above the lumbar pad, looks like you could shorten up the shoulder straps slightly if you have not already. I’ve also found that when fitting my Kifaru packs 35 lbs is about right, lighter than that I feel like I am just chasing my tail. I also try and make 1 adjustment at a time, too many changes at one time makes it hard to nail down the solution. Good luck man, once it’s set your going to love it.

Your shoulder straps are still not quite adjusted correctly, pic 4 shows that the left still has excess length between the frame and the load lifter and has some weird angles to it. That should follow your back to top of shoulder better IMO.

In this scenario, do you need to shorten or lengthen the strap? I am going through a similar fitting process right now, and I always struggle to visualize the changes. I do them and re-try the pack etc. but get to the point where I feel like I’m chasing my tail a bit.

MattB

WKR
In this scenario, do you need to shorten or lengthen the strap? I am going through a similar fitting process right now, and I always struggle to visualize the changes. I do them and re-try the pack etc. but get to the point where I feel like I’m chasing my tail a bit.
Loosen the load lifters, tighten/shorten the shoulder strap so they conform to the upper back/shoulders, then just snug up the load lifters. Think of it this way. the shoulder straps are there to spread a portion of the load over the top of the shoulder at rest (can't do that if they are bunched up like pics 2/3 in the original post - most of the load should be on your hips) and the load lifters keep the load from swaying under motion. You don't need to crank on the load lifters, just snug them up. You are not trying to pull the bag into position with the LL's, just snug them up enough to keep it from swaying when moving - if that makes sense.

Loosen the load lifters, tighten/shorten the shoulder strap so they conform to the upper back/shoulders, then just snug up the load lifters. Think of it this way. the shoulder straps are there to spread a portion of the load over the top of the shoulder at rest (can't do that if they are bunched up like pics 2/3 in the original post - most of the load should be on your hips) and the load lifters keep the load from swaying under motion. You don't need to crank on the load lifters, just snug them up. You are not trying to pull the bag into position with the LL's, just snug them up enough to keep it from swaying when moving - if that makes sense.

Definitely makes sense. I understand and can visualize the concept - just sometimes hard to get the pack to conform to what you want. In my instance, I have a bit of a gap behind the shoulder but that is while I have the load lifters totally loose. I think I just need to shorten my straps a bit more. Will keep playing with it.

I just got the same setup and having been dialing it in and found that Exo's fitting guide worked well for me. I got the long shoulder straps and the bottom of the strap is pretty much touching the lumbar pad so I may try the short ones. Fits nicely though.

One thing I don't like about the Kifaru shoulder straps compared to others is that their padding is segmented which creates those hard angles and slight gaps even when the frame fits as it should (at least from my experience). Might explore putting some other shoulder straps on there.

Exo video is helpful. The description of the shoulder straps is very helpful and something I was looking for. Slight pressure on the front of the chest, no pressure on top of the shoulders, and about a fingers width of space as you come around the back of the shoulder. Good to go!