Any Game Wardens on Here for Advice?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Just seeking some advice and info about the aspects of becoming a game warden. I understand there is a shortage across the country and I have somewhat of an understanding of what the job entails, definitely not all great from the little research I’ve done.

In the current climate of LEO’s getting a lot of negative attention, what has work been like?

-Do you get any time to hunt for yourself during hunting season?
-Does “on call” happen all the time or are you rotating night/day shifts with other wardens?
-How is pay, raises, benefits and bonuses?
-How often are you experiencing dangerous situations?

I have a degree in Wildlife Management & Conservation and have been working as a field biologist for the last decade for many different organizations from private timber companies to Federal and State agencies. Due to this job taking me away from my family all summer, I’m looking to pivot into something within my field that will keep me home and on a regular work schedule, and thought going the game warden route could be a good career change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, wether you’re a warden yourself or have friends or family who are.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no warden but I'd suggest you get a job in WY. I've talked to a dozen or so, all have been head and shoulders better than the ones I've encountered here in OR. The WY guys liked their jobs and it showed.

I’m in Montana and would love to stay here, but could definitely be convinced to Wyoming as well.

hunt1up

WKR
I'm no warden but I'd suggest you get a job in WY. I've talked to a dozen or so, all have been head and shoulders better than the ones I've encountered here in OR. The WY guys liked their jobs and it showed.
That is certainly the truth from my non-resident experience. I've talked to several WY officers over the past decade of hunting there and they were nothing short of fantastic. Their willingness to help us NR succeed is very refreshing. In many states your treated like a criminal from word one, in WY it was the exact opposite.

Grumman

WKR
That is certainly the truth from my non-resident experience. I've talked to several WY officers over the past decade of hunting there and they were nothing short of fantastic. Their willingness to help us NR succeed is very refreshing. In many states your treated like a criminal from word one, in WY it was the exact opposite.

My experience also. I was floored how pleasant my interaction with the warden in the Lusk area was a couple years ago. He was top notch and super helpful.

#1 - you have to want to be a cop first and foremost. I think this is the biggest misconception people have about becoming GW's, is that somehow they are not cops. GW's are cops first and wildlife cops second. So long as you are good with that, you'll do fine.

#2 - you will always be working when everyone else is hunting and you will work just about every holiday.

#3 - it's an incredibly lonely job, but that works well for people who want to work by themselves.

#4 - like teaching and other types of public service, GW is a vocation, not a "job" and not even a "career."

#5 - you'll never get rich

#6 - like all law enforcement, you accept a huge amount of risk and personal liability

#7 - you'll get to see and do things most regular cops can only dream about

#8 - so long as you're dealing with hunters and fishermen, it's one of the best jobs you can have. When you are redirected to work domestics, drugs, traffic enforcement, etc. it is no different than being a county deputy.

#9 - technology has really change the job from what it used to be. You'll find yourself doing a lot of paperwork (still) and making a lot of trips to court.

#10 - Like most LE jobs, it's long periods of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer panic.

If you feel it's your calling, I wish you the best of luck. We need all the good wardens we can get.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the same experience in Wyoming over 15+ years with 4 or 5 wardens. Pleasant experience.

Ralphie

WKR
One of my best friends is a warden in Wyoming. He gets some time off to hunt but really has to schedule around opening days especially. Based on his and a couple others’ schedules I would never become a warden if hunting for myself was very important.

If being home and having a regular work schedule is important to you than I’d seriously wave you off from a Wyoming game warden job. Sorry but reading that in your post made me laugh. I could be wrong though.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
If being home and having a regular work schedule is important to you than I’d seriously wave you off from a Wyoming game warden job. Sorry but reading that in your post made me laugh. I could be wrong though.

By being home and around family I mean that I actually get to see my family when I get home from work. As a field biologist I spend 6+ months away from home and most of the time out of service for weeks at a time, trust me, anything is better than that.

By being home and around family I mean that I actually get to see my family when I get home from work. As a field biologist I spend 6+ months away from home and most of the time out of service for weeks at a time, trust me, anything is better than that.
GW jobs are highly competitive. There is a good chance you'll have to move the family in order to get a permanent position, and there is an equally good chance you'll never get to go back home to work. My advice to anyone considering a career in wildlife enforcement is to be mobile. Otherwise you limit your opportunities so much that it may never happen.

Ralphie

WKR
Gotcha. Yeah being gone that much can’t be fun.

Laramie

WKR
Just seeking some advice and info about the aspects of becoming a game warden. I understand there is a shortage across the country and I have somewhat of an understanding of what the job entails, definitely not all great from the little research I’ve done.

In the current climate of LEO’s getting a lot of negative attention, what has work been like?

-Do you get any time to hunt for yourself during hunting season?
-Does “on call” happen all the time or are you rotating night/day shifts with other wardens?
-How is pay, raises, benefits and bonuses?
-How often are you experiencing dangerous situations?

I have a degree in Wildlife Management & Conservation and have been working as a field biologist for the last decade for many different organizations from private timber companies to Federal and State agencies. Due to this job taking me away from my family all summer, I’m looking to pivot into something within my field that will keep me home and on a regular work schedule, and thought going the game warden route could be a good career change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, wether you’re a warden yourself or have friends or family who are.

Thanks

Look at the BLM instead. Several pros including better pay, and better schedule, and you aren't dealing with arresting/ticketing stupid people all the time.

S.Clancy

WKR
I second this. I worked for WGFD for 9 months after college doing fisheries work and than working game check stations. The agency personnel, wardens also, are very well paid compared to other states. Also, depending where you are in that state, Wardens can work some pretty ridiculous backcountry, for example out of Cody. I think the feds, BLM, USFWS, FS, may top out higher, but warden pay in WY is some of the best around.

Some great guys out there 100% can’t say enough good things about the one in Jackson. Those who know, know

MJB

WKR
Outdoors man first cop way down the line.
Here in California we have the cops first BS and it shows they know nothing about guns, wildlife or woodsmanship. So how can they conduct an investigation with any meaning behind it.
I've seen it first hand when being checked quail hunting and once when a poacher killed a deer on state land and they came to deer camp and asked if we saw anything.