Another truck tire thread

Nitto Ridge Grapplers is what I have settled on. Had many of the other brands over the years and these are the best I have had for mileage, on road traction, wet traction and off road.

I like the Falkens people have mentioned as well, just have not had a reason the try them yet.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I had two sets of KO2's and they are terrible in western mud but they did well in the snow. I talked to a Colorado game warden who had Wrangler Duratracs on his work rig and he really likes them. I also asked a guide I know who is really hard on equipment and he too is running the Duratracs and likes them. I researched the Duratracs and they get good reviews except multiple mentions of a weak sidewall. But based on the opinions of the two guys above, I bought the Duratracs (10 ply) and so far so good, although every time I get into sharp rocks I think of what I read about the sidewalls.
I actually can attest to that. I destroyed a tired by scraping something on the highway.

Cooper AT3’s. I’ve run a bunch of different brands and these are the best I’ve found. I run them on all my trucks. The biggest things I’ve seen is they don’t wear out quickly when using them on trucks that tow a lot.

I'm on my second set of Falken Wildpeaks on my Tacoma and overall I've been pretty happy with them. We just moved back to Colorado so I'm spending a lot more time driving on snow/ice and the Falkens don't grip in that stuff as well as I'd like so I'm planning on switching over to Duratracs when the time comes. I had a set of Duratracs on my old Frontier and they did really well in the Colorado winters.

I'd recommend going with the Duratracs.. They're more expensive than the Falkens but I think they'll be better for the conditions you're going to deal with.

Lwarner03

FNG
Falken Wildpeaks have been good for me.
I can recommend based on good experience in mud, gravel, snow, highway.
I have KO2 now but the Last Frontier fella made wanna try Duratracs!

I don't have any experience with them yet but a local tire shop carries a brand called Hercules. They have a terra trac x-venture that has tread similar to the toyo/nitto at's. Probably be my next set of tires.
They said the tire is made in the USA in a cooper tire factory in Ohio. Very reasonably priced. The shop owners son and his buddies have been running them and have had great luck. They also have a good warranty.

I've had two sets of bfg and a set of Falkens. The falkens seemed to get loaders quicker and not as good of tread life.

TN2shot07

WKR
The last tires I’ve bought were ko2s, Toyo at3s, cooper at3 xlts and nitto ridge grapplers. I would buy any of them again without an issue except the Nittos. They are a great looking tire but absolutely just slick over in any kind of mud and were like slicks in the rain.

My dad has a set of yokahama at’s on his right now, they are a mild looking tire but are very quiet and have done as well as anything else when we needed them.

Falken wildpeaks (10 ply, E rated) on my Tundra currently have 68,500 miles on them and I would guess they've got at least 20 - 30,000 more miles of life left in them. This truck gets driven 5 days a week and probably averages 500 miles/week.

Last edited:

Boonie327

FNG
I’m in the same boat as you with usage and travel trailer, so I’m going to a load E/LT tire I’ve narrowed it down to the Nokian Outpost and Mastercraft Courser Trail HD. The Nokian is probably the lightest load e you’ll find if you’re worried about gas mileage. Mastercraft is made in Ohio and owned by Goodyear/Cooper and I’ve had good experience with them. I can tell you from experience the Goodyear duratrac are loud after you get about halfway through their tread. Decent tire but loud compared to Cooper ST maxx.

I'm a toyo guy on my personal truck the at type tires I end up stuck. That said your choices I've watched my Ole man's truck and the general grabbers they have impressed me alot and the atx really has me interested

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Running Falkens on an F150 and wife's Honda. Nothing yet to say that they were a bad choice. But I'm not able to evaluate the snow capabilities.

nobody

WKR
We’ve been through lots of different options on everything from half tons to diesels, and we’ve hit a point where we just keep buying the Hankook Dynapro’s. Good balance of performance on and off road, quiet on pavement, and great longevity. Our local shop always has them in stock and warranties them against flats and damage, and they have great prices. We’ve been impressed by them

I've flipped back and forth between KO2s and Toyo Open Countrys. The Toyos look much better but I get a lot more tread life from the KO2s. Plus they are quieter on the highway.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to go wrong with K02 or Toyo open country at3’s in my opinion but neither are cheap.

Not cheap but also very tough/puncture resistant in an LT.

I ran BFGs in the past and tried the 6ply Toyo AT3 this year on my tundra. Quieter than expected and really happy with the performance. Did an antelope hunt in the rocks in an area that is known for chewing up tires, Aired down toyos were tough, a little bit of chunking, no flats.

CCooper

WKR
The new Toyo open country RT- Trail are peaking my interest. They look pretty comparable to a nitto trail grappler. Look like they will be a good mannered road tire with good snow performance.

Dgregory

FNG
I’ve got the Firestone’s you mentioned on my Ram 1500. I’ve got about 15,000 miles on the set and just had one replaced after a bolt puncture. The older tires have almost the same amount of tread as the brand new one. They’re excellent off road as well. Plenty of dirt, sand, and mud and I’ve never had any issues with traction. They’ve got a great snow rating as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk