Another help me upgrade my glass post

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I know this has been discussed many times but I am struggling and hoping to finally get my personal situation settled.

I currently have 8x42 Steiner Merlins and a good tripod. Last year was my first full year in Wyoming so being a “nonresident” I was mainly hunting foothills units (no trees and probably lesser distances visible). With this setup I had no trouble picking up animals but there were a couple times I struggled identifying species or buck/doe at longer ranges. Also I expect to spend quite a bit more time up in the high country going forward, for those two reasons a glass upgrade is in order.

That’s where I get stuck. I’m not aging sheep or judging inches... I just want to be able to get some sort of idea of maturity and frame size to determine what I’m going after and leaving be. Do to budget I am limited to either a scope or upgrading to premium (second hand) 10x42 binos (need to stay in the $1200 - $1500 range max).

So, for those of you that are hunting multiple species every year and just looking to find animals and get a basic idea of sex and maturity what would you do?

Blackbird

FNG
I went with meopta b1 plus in 12x which should get real close to fitting your budget. I’m still able to hand hold them without any issue and just like everything else get 10 times better once mounted on a tripod.

My number one recommendation is buy a good tripod setup and a Really Right Stuff Cinch so you can mount your binos to the tripod. You will be amazed at how much more you can see when handheld vibration is reduced/removed. At that point if you are not satisfied with the quality of your current binos then upgrade them. After you have a tripod and binos you are happy with, buy a spotting scope.

I'm a buy once cry once guy so my gear is top tier. Search Craigslist, eBay, rokslide, and other forum classifieds for great deals on gently used high end gear.

I hunt wide open terrain in Colorado and I carry a set of Zeiss Victory 10x56 rangefinder binos with a Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite that attaches to my RRS BH-55LR ball head that is attached to my RRS TVC-34L MK2 tripod. When I find an animal I want a closer look at I swap out my binos to my Swarovski STS 20-60×65 spotting scope. If I decide I want to go after that animal I pack up and go. Otherwise I swap back to my binos and continue glassing.