Bino recs for 300 yard max deer hunting

I’m looking for some Binos and there are tons of options I really think for my price range I should just get a pair of maven c 8-42 and call it a day. Or could I get better glass in another manufacturer or going the used route? These will be my first pair of binoculars and I don’t want to upgrade for a good while. Thanks.

I think a pair of used maven b3 8x30s would be a great choice, seen a few pairs in the upper 300$ range here recently. I just got a pair of 8x30s so I don't have much experience with them but they seem great so far. They are half a pound lighter than the weight of the C 8x42 and probably have better glass, but I haven't compared specs or looked through the C models except a pair of 7x28s. I am not a huge fan of bino harnessess if I don't have to wear one and the lighter the bino the more comfortable it is to just use a neck strap.

Honestly the 6x30 would be great too but the specs on maven's comparison table really don't show the 6x to be all that better in fov or light transmission than the 8s. If I had only planned to hunt woods and close quarters here in the east I would have probably gone with the 6x, and I was still tempted- but like I said the specs didn't *seem* that enticing over the 8x.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
Avoid the Mavens. They have a small FOV.

I would look at the Nikon Monarch 7. 425' FOV same price.

OP
T
I think a pair of used maven b3 8x30s would be a great choice, seen a few pairs in the upper 300$ range here recently. Honestly the 6x30 would be great too but the specs on maven's comparison table really don't show the 6x to be all that better in fov or light transmission than the 8s. I just got a pair of 8x30s so I don't have much experience with them but they seem great so far.

I think a pair of used maven b3 8x30s would be a great choice, seen a few pairs in the upper 300$ range here recently. Honestly the 6x30 would be great too but the specs on maven's comparison table really don't show the 6x to be all that better in fov or light transmission than the 8s. I just got a pair of 8x30s so I don't have much experience with them but they seem great so far.
Would they still be better than the c 8-42 since you’d have a larger exit pupil with the c or is the glass that much better in the b?

Would they still be better than the c 8-42 since you’d have a larger exit pupil with the c or is the glass that much better in the b?
no idea, I am not a glass nerd by any means. What I can do is give post a link to maven's chart. Just at a quick glance the b3s beat the c1s in FOV, Light transmission, and weight. Looks like the C wins in twilight factor and brightness- likely due to the larger objective. But there are some guys on here that know way more about that stuff than I do.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Definitely no more than 8x. I would prioritize FOV and depth of focus over the last % of optical prowess. I had a set of Kowa BDII’s that took a full turn on the focus wheel between 100 and 400 yards. That was miserable and I sold them after many headaches trying to cope. I use 8x42 Monarch HG’s now and you barely have to suggest the focus wheel left and right to get 100 to infinity in focus. It’s great. If the Monarch 7’s are similar I’d suggest those in your price range.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I say go less than 8x.
I wanted some closer range binos and ended up with Kowa 6.5x32 and am pretty happy with them. To a max of 300yards 6.5x is more than enough magnification and the wide FOV makes them nice to use.

This video goes into a bit of detail about the Kowas.