'98 Land Cruiser experiences?

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I have been researching various different vehicles to use as a mountain/hunting rig now for about two years. I've looked at International Scouts but they have lots of rust issues, etc.and then I've spent time looking at Jeep Cherokee XJ which I have a lead on my wife's cousin's 1994 that's been well taken care and it's narrower than a Land Cruiser for the mountain roads in Colorado. I've come across a 1998 Land Cruiser with around 300,000 miles but overall interior/exterior is really nice with minimal upholstery issues. It came from Denver so maybe it's not been abused too much. I will need to immediately change timing belt/water pump so I have to factor that in and brake light is on on the dash. I'll get a chance to look at it this Saturday and drive it. He asking between $5000 - $6000 so it's in my cash price range. I never had one and I know a 98 is the first year for the 100 series and sounds like it would work for my needs which are basic trail rig with no rock climbing/ extreme 4 wheeling. Just need something to take hunting so I can preserve my 09 Sierra for towing our camper and other long trips. I have worked on all my vehicles over the years but not enjoying that as much any more. To those of you gentleman who have had various Land Cruisers, what issues should I be looking for with a 98 model year? It does have the Diff switch on the dash too. I appreciate your input.

Wrench

WKR
Are you against the 80 series? I have a 97 triple locked and its simply amazing. The build quality is nuts. 98 being a first year makes me nervous. Independent suspension leaves rubber bushings where the 80 has tapered bearings. The 80 runs full floating axles.....and so on.

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
No, just saw the 98 and liked it. I actually like the look of the 80 series much better and would buy one if the price is right. It's a first year model but from what I understand, most components came from existing technology such as the Tundra. I wasn't sure how much investment I would need to make it trustworthy on trips right from the beginning. Anyone know how the transmissions and transfer case hold up?

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 94 Triple locked. 210k miles, no problems. Not a daily driver, dont even do any real off roading, just a weekend toy.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
Got a couple landcruisers in the family, 94 80 series, 99 lx470, 01 100 series and a 84 60 series.

For just running forest roads, and getting around town the 100 can't be beat. The early years are better as you get away from the infotainment system and there is no height control system. 80 series are awesome if you like to play off road but are a bit gutless on the highway and get worse mileage. Also for 80s I'd really only look at post 94 year models, gets you obd2 which is nice.

All of ours other than the 60 has over 300k and the two 100s are still super tight. As long as they are well maintained, it seems these rigs can run forever. That being said they are not cheap to maintain, so I hope you don't mind wrenching.

Best info you can find on landcruisers is IH8mud forums, and I believe Slee offroad has a guide of things to look for when purchasing a cruiser.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TNLC100

FNG
Have a 100 series and have owned two 80s and a gx470 as well. Personally I would look at the Lexus options, either GX or LX. The 100 series and 80s are fetching a premium price tag right now, seems to be better value among the Lexus options if you can live with out the Land Cruiser badging

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 100 series and have owned two 80s and a gx470 as well. Personally I would look at the Lexus options, either GX or LX. The 100 series and 80s are fetching a premium price tag right now, seems to be better value among the Lexus options if you can live with out the Land Cruiser badging
I forgot to say I’ve also looked at the Lexus models and I like those also but they can be more expensive I’ve found unless you go with a higher mileage vehicle. My other option is to buy something already gone through maintenance wise and pay the higher price for that peace of mind. Then my Saturdays would be free to use it and enjoy it. But I’m leaning towards this 100 series 98 if it checks out mechanically unless someone has a red flag that they have experienced with the 98 model year.

I appreciate all the feedback so far.

All the above guys are way more savvy on LCs than I am. Several helped me out. I finally got a triple locked 80 series. Love it.

But you may be over thinking. Lots of capable rigs. The XJs are very popular beater rigs. My good buddy has one as a Cat/Hound rig. It's pretty spartan but got us into the Tules two weeks ago to run dogs.

Don't sleep on an older 4 Runner. My 3.4L was very reliable. Maybe the tightest engine I've ever had at 270,000. Oil looked brand new for MANY thousands of miles. Generally way cheaper than a Taco, but very similar.

A YJ or TJ of that vintage probably the most after market support and goodies around. Couple lockers thrown in and a CB and you're money.

TNLC100

FNG
I forgot to say I’ve also looked at the Lexus models and I like those also but they can be more expensive I’ve found unless you go with a higher mileage vehicle. My other option is to buy something already gone through maintenance wise and pay the higher price for that peace of mind. Then my Saturdays would be free to use it and enjoy it. But I’m leaning towards this 100 series 98 if it checks out mechanically unless someone has a red flag that they have experienced with the 98 model year.

I appreciate all the feedback so far.

Interesting, that is opposite of the market in my area, most anything with the LC badge is 10-20% higher than LX. I wouldn't have any particular concerns with the 98 model year. There is a thread on ih8mud about what to look for when buying, very helpful. Also, if you haven't already, creat an account on Toyota Owners and plug the vin of prospective vehicles in and you will be able to see any service completed at Toyota or LX dealerships. Pretty nice to use when shopping. The older models may not have much info but has been a feature I have utilized several times.

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
l. Also, if you haven't already, creat an account on Toyota Owners and plug the vin of prospective vehicles in and you will be able to see any service completed at Toyota or LX dealerships. Pretty nice to use when shopping. The older models may not have much info but has been a feature I have utilized several times.
That’s great to know because I was wondering if that was possible as it would be really helpful to know the service history . Thanks

thenodnarb

FNG
Classified Approved
I've got a 100 series. It's a 2000. It's a fantastic family vehicle that does great in reasonable "off road" senarios. The 98 is the same thing but with a locker instead of ATRAC.
buddy of mine had an 80 series he loved but it was a pig. Low power i mean. Great for modding, and doing rock crawling for stuff, but couldn't drive up a hill at the speed limit.
The 100 is much more refined and a great balance between on road comfort and of road capability. I've driven my LC with the family across the country multiple times. It's been to both coasts. We can and have driven it 2000 miles, went on an offroad trip and drove it back 2000 miles etc.

Once you do a baseline of the common maintenance its a great reliable truck.
Only 2 things kill land cruisers: accidents and rust.
Being from Denver, you could have rust. We don't use salt on the roads but a slightly less corrosive melting agent. It still rusts vehicles and LCs are susceptible.

Other common issues:
Front axles are often worn on the external splines as they go into the hub. People don't really maintain the front hub bearings. Usually the driver side is bad and the passenger side is ok. Axles are expensive 450 plus and aftermarket axles( aftermarket anything) should be avoided.
People also use the wrong coolant in them(only use Toyota red). Green coolant causes severe deposits in the cooling system. A truck with green coolant in it should be avoided.
At this age, the steering rack is probably quite worn. Might be leaking. Again. Toyota only racks should be used. It's a pain to change on this model.
Final big issue is the brake master cylinder is very expensive, electric pump, that goes out eventually. They can be 1000-2000 to replace.
If there is no rust on this truck, 5-6k is a good price, even with 300k on the clock. I bought mine with 275k for 8500 many years ago. I've lifted it and such.
Had the timing belt break in me within a couple months of owning. Previous owner used cheap aftermarket timing belt. Replaced with aisin. Should be good for 100k.

If you're OK with putting MAYBE 3-4k into an older one for these key problems as they arise, you'll have a long lasting vehicle. If you don't care about driving it often or perfect reliability. Change the timing belt, and let the other issue ride. You could drive it into the ground and it will still probably go another 60k before you are forced to address an issue.

Avoid rust!!

Ralphie

WKR
I have a 99 with the diff lock. I agree with what above posters have said. The 100s are an awesome mix of hwy and dirt road and some off road performance. I love mine as a hunting vehicle. It is way more off road capable than I am. And plenty of comfort for getting to the hunting areas and off hwy travel.

Ive been a passenger some in a triple locked 80 and no doubt they are better as an off roader or rock crawler but I think for all but extreme off roaders the 100s are a better vehicle.

A couple inches of lift would probably be a good mod. I just put on 285 ten plys though and it does all I need. Mine came with 6 ply hwy tires. Once mine graduated 😀 from the family suv to my hunting vehicle the 6 plys were the first thing to go.

Last edited:
OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you thenodnarb for the very useful info. That’s what I’m thinking is fix the timing belt/water pump maintenance, check all fluids and drive it to see what reveals itself and fix any deferred maintenance as it comes up. Hopefully I’ll look at it Saturday. I appreciate rokslide faithful for their real life experiences.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
My 2002 100 series has around 230k miles on it. I would jump in and drive it to Alaska today if needed. I will never sell it. Incredible vehicle.

ODB

WKR
My 2002 100 series has around 230k miles on it. I would jump in and drive it to Alaska today if needed. I will never sell it. Incredible vehicle.

Thats exactly what my 02 Tundra has on it. That stupid thing still sounds like a sewing machine. well made stuff.

OP
COJoe

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Well I feel bad letting everyone down but I passed up the deal. I got to look at it today after work and drive it and it was in much worse shape then I thought. There was a large and dripping oil leak coming from somewhere on the side of the engine that had leaked a very long time because everything under the engine was covered in oil. I believe the master cylinder electric pump was squealing pretty bad, transfer case was almost impossible to shift to low and back and the front suspension was like driving a boat in swales so a complete front end rebuild is necessary, etc. Way too much work than I wanted even if I got it much cheaper. It was worth a look though. I will use the info gleaned here to refine my search and keep looking for a 100 series LC or equivalent. The engine seemed strong though, even at 329,000 miles. It'll be a project for someone else.

ARK08

FNG
I bought my '98 with 76,000 miles last February for $17,000. Just for reference. river rock green color and pretty damn clean also.

gearguywb

WKR
Love LC's! I have had 40, 80, a couple of 100's and 200's. They are built like tanks, but do require maintenance. Don't pay as much attention to miles as to maintenance records.

BLJ

WKR
Maybe want to check out the Sequoias of similar years.
We had one with 200k on it with zero issues.
I think very similar reliability to the 100.
I know it was the same motor (4.7) and I believe trans. Transfer case and axles (I believe) were different ( at least the axles).
Frame rust got it or we would still have it.

TNLC100

FNG
Well I feel bad letting everyone down but I passed up the deal. I got to look at it today after work and drive it and it was in much worse shape then I thought. There was a large and dripping oil leak coming from somewhere on the side of the engine that had leaked a very long time because everything under the engine was covered in oil. I believe the master cylinder electric pump was squealing pretty bad, transfer case was almost impossible to shift to low and back and the front suspension was like driving a boat in swales so a complete front end rebuild is necessary, etc. Way too much work than I wanted even if I got it much cheaper. It was worth a look though. I will use the info gleaned here to refine my search and keep looking for a 100 series LC or equivalent. The engine seemed strong though, even at 329,000 miles. It'll be a project for someone else.

Sounds like you made the right call, you will be able to come up with one if you are patient