Mid-size SUV or wagon options

tracker12

WKR
I'm going to have to finally replace my 2000 4 Runner. It's at 300k, probably could run it another 100k but I'm an old guy and crawling under it to work on it doesn't go well for me anymore. I'm pretty sure it will be replaced with another 4 Runner. That's all I've owned since I bought my first in 1996 and for the most I've been satisfied with each of them. The only downside for me is that they get shitty mileage. But mine have all been reliable, which for me trumps the fuel economy aspect.
I always wanted a 4 Runner but boy the gas mileage is hard to take. But if that doesn't bother you they are a solid choice.

MattB

WKR
I read most of it and was gonna say Subaru. Lol
Me too. You drive 'em, you are not married to 'em. Never understood someone who gets hung up on a vehicle's looks. Never declined to buy a hammer or screwdriver because it was the wrong color.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Audi Q5. I’ve had deer and elk in the back of mine. Pulls a small boat. Put better tires on it and it can do more than expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Hope it's not too late. I didn't read any of the thread but I would shy away from the Ford Escape (or anything Ford now IMO). Wow has ours been a nightmare.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an older thread but I'd like to give it a bump. I'm currently looking at a new outback wilderness. Any reason to avoid these? Use would be as a daily driver and mostly solo hunts on weekends. Wanting something reliable but also somewhat off road capable and able to haul a canoe and pull a small atv trailer. Fwiw I'll also be keeping my 2013 ram 1500 for pulling travel trailers and farther hunting trips.

I know this is an older thread but I'd like to give it a bump. I'm currently looking at a new outback wilderness. Any reason to avoid these? Use would be as a daily driver and mostly solo hunts on weekends. Wanting something reliable but also somewhat off road capable and able to haul a canoe and pull a small atv trailer. Fwiw I'll also be keeping my 2013 ram 1500 for pulling travel trailers and farther hunting trips.
Wife and I will be buying one in another year or so.

It's really the only thing were considering.

Similarish use. Minus the ATV towing.

Yooper

WKR
I got some experience here. I've got a '14 Outback that I use as a commuter vehicle for work. 215k miles on it. I also use it a lot for fall bird and whitetail hunting. I haven't found anything yet that really limited me except for deep rutted road where I knew I could get her hung up on center. A set of AT tires and it just gets me through about anything I can throw at it.

My wife has a '24 Outback Wilderness. She wont let me put dead critters in it, but it's an upgrade in every sense of the word from my standard Outback. More ground clearance, better motor, seemingly better interior space. I have an F150 for more serious woods work, but given my choice I'd have no issues running the Wilderness if I had to get rid of the truck. I have zero complaints with that vehicle.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
That's great. Thanks a lot. Any chance you could get a measurement of the cargo space with seats folded down? I can't seem to find this anywhere online. Have you ever pulled a trailer with it?

Yooper

WKR
That's great. Thanks a lot. Any chance you could get a measurement of the cargo space with seats folded down? I can't seem to find this anywhere online. Have you ever pulled a trailer with it?
I'll take some measurements tonight and report back in the morning. I've never pulled anything with it, but I think they're rated around 3,500 lbs. Not a towing monster by any means, but enough capacity for smaller loads.

Subaru Crosstrek is what you seek. Headed out tomorrow on a 400 mile drive to start my 10 day antelope hunt in mine. Still plenty of room left and I’ll average 29MPG or so, with a roof box
He said sporty/quick, crosstrek is neither. I'd say a Mazda CX-5 or CX-50 with the turbo. Handling is great, quick, reliable, interior is very nice.

Yooper

WKR
Suby.jpgsuby1.jpg

That width measurement is from the narrowest point between the wheel wells. I didn't get a picture of the height, but it's right about 32" from the center of the rear floor space. Hope that helps.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
OP has already rejected the idea, but for everyone else reading this thread another vote for the Crosstrek. My Tacoma just got the frame replacement and while that was all in prep and under way I was driving our kids' Crosstrek through the fall hunting seasons. A lot of time it was just the dog and me with a shotgun hunting birds and it was surprisingly nice to do it in the smaller package. I have a hitch and hitch basket for it and I never needed more space than that, even when camping or w a carcass to haul. It was kind of eye-opening but I guess not that surprising when I remember how much I used to be able to do w/ a beater Corolla back in the 90s when I was young, poor and less cautious. Some have discussed the Audi Q series---be careful with those--very cushy inside but it is not a vehicle that is easy to McGyver away from civilization. My wife drives a Q7 and it is shocking how difficult it is to do anything to it other than add oil.

I just picked up a Crosstrek Sport last fall. Unfortunately it came in the week after my CO deer hunt but wanted to take it badly just to try it out. Mine is mostly for commuting, but If I had the one I wanted it's be a wilderness model. I have no hangups with Subarus. My parents have an Outback and it's pretty big.

We were working our way up a mountain road in CO in my Wrangler last fall with a shitload of deep ruts and washouts. Got past all the bad stuff and there was a couple up there in an outback just camping away. As we came back out after a morning hunt two more old ladies in their outback were working their way up it too. Crazy what those things will do. Oh, They are cheap.

Also, I can run OnX on the center screen too!!! I verified that before I bought it.

Crosstrek.jpg

He said sporty/quick, crosstrek is neither. I'd say a Mazda CX-5 or CX-50 with the turbo. Handling is great, quick, reliable, interior is very nice.
I looked at them pretty hard and almost picked up a cx30. I'll agree, Mazda's fit and finish is great and they are quick, but they felt a bit cramped for me. @bigunit , if you do get a Subaru, get the 2.5 liter. They are not quick, but they will get you there.

Yooper

WKR
I just picked up a Crosstrek Sport last fall. Unfortunately it came in the week after my CO deer hunt but wanted to take it badly just to try it out. Mine is mostly for commuting, but If I had the one I wanted it's be a wilderness model. I have no hangups with Subarus. My parents have an Outback and it's pretty big.

We were working our way up a mountain road in CO in my Wrangler last fall with a shitload of deep ruts and washouts. Got past all the bad stuff and there was a couple up there in an outback just camping away. As we came back out after a morning hunt two more old ladies in their outback were working their way up it too. Crazy what those things will do. Oh, They are cheap.

Also, I can run OnX on the center screen too!!! I verified that before I bought it.

View attachment 679548
A Crosstrek Wilderness would probably get me through 99.5% of my hunting needs. Stout little rides!

Haro450

FNG
If you looking a subies you need to at least consider a Toyota rav4 hybrid. 40 mpg. They area great car speaking from experience.

Maybe it's because I do so much urban hunting, but if I were starting from scratch (and if it were a dedicated hunting vehicle), I'd take a good look at the
John Eberhart MWOD.

What does MWOD stand for, you ask?

Mommy Wagon Of Death

1709043374762.png

https://youtu.be/J_pwNPsz9-Q

Pros:
- You can get a hybrid to save on gas
- No one, I repeat, No one, will bat an eye if you park on the side of road to get stealth access
- You can sleep in it to save on hotels on long trips
- Can take the HOV lane w/o too much scrutiny
- Lots of cargo space for coolers/meat hauling/gear
- Probably increases your odds of getting private access if you roll up to the ranch in this bad boy
- Every hunt is a "youth hunt" if you play it right
- Lots of outlets/power sources so you can charge your devices, run OnX on the Nav system, etc.

Cons:

- Cost of testosterone pills you might need to take just as a precaution
- AWD, but not 4WD. Not sure how well it will do in the mountains.

I can't be the only one thinking of this...

Yeah, it's a Mommy Wagon. But, of Death, people.

OF DEATH.:D

Last edited: