Public Land Draws for Non-Resident Hunters

Hello!
New to forums and newer to public hunting. I have hunted private land in TX my whole life and would like to jump into public land draws for Antelope, Mule Deer, Elk, Etc… I am mainly a bow hunter but will certainly pick up a rifle given the situation. I know this is a generic post as I will start here and narrow down my focus per recommendations. Any help on where to start for best drawing odds on Antelope or Muleys? Willing to travel to any state. I am 26 and mobile but do have a heart problem so anything 12k+ in elevation may be difficult. Not expecting any secrets to be given away but would certainly appreciate any help!
Thanks.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brett heres what I'd do if starting out-

Budget- what are you willing to spend yearly to collect the points it takes to possibly draw?

Figure out when are you trying to go?

Rule of thumb tags- that are easier to get always have a reason why. They aren't a bad option but learn why they are less desirable.

A simple way to see the odds of many western states is a service like go hunt, epic, or hunting fool. They all cost money, states also release thier odds for free but those forms can be confusing at first making paid alternatives even more attractive. I personally use toprut.com which comes with onx elite so you'll have a mapping service for multiple states as well.

Typically you buy a non resident license and then can apply for a tag or buy a point. Every state is slightly and sometimes vastly different from neighboring states in rules and price.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Brett heres what I'd do if starting out-

Budget- what are you willing to spend yearly to collect the points it takes to possibly draw?

Figure out when are you trying to go?

Rule of thumb tags- that are easier to get always have a reason why. They aren't a bad option but learn why they are less desirable.

A simple way to see the odds of many western states is a service like go hunt, epic, or hunting fool. They all cost money, states also release thier odds for free but those forms can be confusing at first making paid alternatives even more attractive. I personally use toprut.com which comes with onx elite so you'll have a mapping service for multiple states as well.

Typically you buy a non resident license and then can apply for a tag or buy a point. Every state is slightly and sometimes vastly different from neighboring states in rules and price.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thank you! I will take your advise and get one of those apps to help organize and study draw odds etc. I think for my first year I am going to target Antelope in WY/MO. I do not mind spending up to $500 non refundable costs for points/ tags for other states with muleys/ antelope. Do you have a favorite state to target?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a long term draw plan and short term plan so I try to throw a big net across most western states so no favorites for me.

If you want to hunt antelope and mule deer it makes sense to apply where they both live and build points for both at the same time.

Some states are extremely difficult to draw antelope tags (arizona) and others have a bunch of antelope(wyoming but some herd numbers are struggling after last winter) so those are things to keep in mind.

I give the guys at epic outdoors a call and tell them your situation and ask their opinion about building draw strategies. Getting tags is crazy competitive and people are hesitant to share in fear of screwing themselves later on.

If you get pm privileges reach out if you want some ideas