7mm PRC short barrel?

Anyone regret their 18 inch? Chrono some 180 eldms today 2810 with 22 inch barrel. I'm going atleast 20 but really want 18. Got a 16.5 inch 7mm-08 an I love it. Going for similar set up but more ftlb behind it. 5 or 600 yd gun.

Anyone regret their 18 inch? Chrono some 180 eldms today 2810 with 22 inch barrel. I'm going atleast 20 but really want 18. Got a 16.5 inch 7mm-08 an I love it. Going for similar set up but more ftlb behind it. 5 or 600 yd gun.
Not yet. It’s been great. Velocity is slow but it’s done exactly what it was built to do so far

Not yet. It’s been great. Velocity is slow but it’s done exactly what it was built to do so far
Good to hear. I'm only hunting whitetail which I know it's overkill for. From reducing velocity on ballistic calculator still looks fairly flat an plenty of energy to 5 or 600 yds.

Good to hear. I'm only hunting whitetail which I know it's overkill for. From reducing velocity on ballistic calculator still looks fairly flat an plenty of energy to 5 or 600 yds.
I built mine around the idea of 700 yards on whitetail/axis/mule deer with a 180 hybrid. So I’d say it will work for what you’re looking to do. Furthest shot on game so far was a pronghorn at 400, and it worked as well as you could ask for.

I built mine around the idea of 700 yards on whitetail/axis/mule deer with a 180 hybrid. So I’d say it will work for what you’re looking to do. Furthest shot on game so far was a pronghorn at 400, and it worked as well as you could ask for.
That's awesome. I have some 162 eldx thinking of maybe some 168 Barnes. I wanted a Tikka but went with Savage 110 being a lefty not much option an figured if it didn't work out wouldn't hurt my feelings as much putting a different barrel on it since it was so cheap.

That's awesome. I have some 162 eldx thinking of maybe some 168 Barnes. I wanted a Tikka but went with Savage 110 being a lefty not much option an figured if it didn't work out wouldn't hurt my feelings as much putting a different barrel on it since it was so cheap.
I agree with @IrkedCitizen on the 162 eldm. I’d also avoid the Barnes for a couple reasons, one being that monolithics like velocity, and you’ll be lacking in that department, particularly once you get out to 5-600 yards.

The 162 eldm would be my choice between the 2, without a second thought.

I agree with @IrkedCitizen on the 162 eldm. I’d also avoid the Barnes for a couple reasons, one being that monolithics like velocity, and you’ll be lacking in that department, particularly once you get out to 5-600 yards.

The 162 eldm would be my choice between the 2, without a second thought.
Thats one reason I have not got anything copper yet. Makes sense on ELDM I know in the 22 creed the 75s do a good job

I've hunted with a 7RM since I started hunting in 2007. Since switching to 162gr ELD-M bullets in 2021 there have been 3 elk and 1 muley with the furthest recovery being 40 yards from impact and all with one bullet.

My sister shot this bull in the 2023 CO 3rd season at 330 yards using my 7RM with 162gr ELD-M. She hit him high lung and He ran 30 yards and fell over dead in seconds. He broke his right antler in velvet right past* his first brow tine which proceeded to keep growing and is almost 30" long and his left is a typical 7 point. He is a neat bull.

20231113_073715.jpg

Here is the damage to his lungs.

When I finally get to loading for my 7prc it will be shooting 162gr ELD-M. I personally don't see the need for the 180gr ELD-M but I understand why they chose it for the factory ammo.

Nope. My 18" is a 700yd gun and it hasn't even sped up yet. And those are factory loads.

I haven't measure the Chamber yet but what OAL you all running with the 162? Was just looking at Hornadys data an seems jammed way down in there compared to the rest of the bullets they have listed.

What speeds do you see out of that 16.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s impressive. Which powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe it or not that's factory 139 SST Superformance. I'd like to know what it actually chronographed in a 24 inch barrel. Suppose to be 2950. An shot about 3/4 inch group at 100

For everyone that has 7mm PRC in 18" to 20" inch barrels suppressed, how is the noise/DB with the suppressor? Is it quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection that it will not cause hearing damage?

For everyone that has 7mm PRC in 18" to 20" inch barrels suppressed, how is the noise/DB with the suppressor? Is it quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection that it will not cause hearing damage?
I believe so. It’s quite the blast without the can, but with it, very nice reduction. I have a 20” barrel and shot my deer without ear pro this year. Worked great.

I'm going to be the outlier and load 145LRX in my 20" 7mm PRC when it gets put together. Should get close to 3000fps if not a bit faster.

Back