7mm PRC Build with a 20" Barrel - Elk Rifle for 2024 - Advice?

Tikka + 7prc + Rokstok or Stocky's VG. Especially since you are running factory ammo. Upgrade to a chassis if you can afford it.
I was planing on a mini chassis in either of those two stocks. Do you like the chassis better for weight or accuracy and stability? Is one that much better than the mini?

gtriple

WKR
I was planing on a mini chassis in either of those two stocks. Do you like the chassis better for weight or accuracy and stability? Is one that much better than the mini?
I've never used either of those stocks, but they are nearly as expensive as an XLR ELEMENT 4.0 MG or an MDT HNT26, both of which offer more customization.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I think the 6.8 Western will slowly die off but the PRC will continue to grow with factory ammo offerings.

Grundy53

WKR
The HNT26 (arca + folder) retails for $1600.

The Manner's MCS-LRH retails for $963 to nearly $1300 based the ready-to-ship versions.
But the stocks he mentioned were the Rokstok and the Stockys VG. I don't see where he mentioned a Manners?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

mchrist

FNG
I'd like to build (or buy) a 7mm PRC. Rifle is for the singular purpose of elk hunting in the backcountry and will be backpacked in frequently. I hunt western big country but never anticipate to shoot over 600 yards.

I have plenty of time so have no concerns about lead times of components and am even open to waiting for a new rifle to release is that’s the best option.

Parameters:
Barrel: I’m set on a 20" Proof Research Barrel to allow for a Thunderbeast Ultra 7" attached to it (I just purchased the suppressor for 2024 possession)
Action: Remington 700 clone to allow for future ease into an HNT26 chassis if desired
Recoil: free recoil energy <23.15lbs consistent of a 7mm rem mag non-suppressed, non-braked in classic wood stock.
Weight: As light as possible without increasing recoil threshold

With looking at many different rifles, I love the Proof Research Elevation MTR rifle. However... it comes standard with a 24" barrel only and there is no 20" barrel option. The best idea I've figured is to buy this rifle and do a barrel swap with gunsmith and sell the stock barrel. I’ve also wondered if could modify stock barrel. I'm torn on the idea of modifying a brand new rifle altogether.

View attachment 565631

Is there a better way to get to a build as described with similar component like this more effectively or affordably? Any other advice worth considering?
Would you keep the suppressor on it while hiking or take it on and off?

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Eh, you are getting an average (at best) trigger and a mediocre action IMO.

Tikka action $700 (although I often find them for sub 600)
Proof barrel $950
HNT26 $1500
$3150

What is your realistic budget?
This is pretty much what I did.

I bought the Tikka 7mm mag super lite stainless to avoid corrosion.

Immediately swapped the barrel for a 22” proof w/SRS TiPro 4 Brake.

I was able to get a HNT26 on Black Friday.

Vortex LHT with Vortex rings and it weighs under 8lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_6654.jpeg
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6653.jpeg
    IMG_6653.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 19