7mm PRC Build with a 20" Barrel - Elk Rifle for 2024 - Advice?

cwpepper

FNG
I'd like to build (or buy) a 7mm PRC. Rifle is for the singular purpose of elk hunting in the backcountry and will be backpacked in frequently. I hunt western big country but never anticipate to shoot over 600 yards.

I have plenty of time so have no concerns about lead times of components and am even open to waiting for a new rifle to release is that’s the best option.

Parameters:
Barrel: I’m set on a 20" Proof Research Barrel to allow for a Thunderbeast Ultra 7" attached to it (I just purchased the suppressor for 2024 possession)
Action: Remington 700 clone to allow for future ease into an HNT26 chassis if desired
Recoil: free recoil energy <23.15lbs consistent of a 7mm rem mag non-suppressed, non-braked in classic wood stock.
Weight: As light as possible without increasing recoil threshold

With looking at many different rifles, I love the Proof Research Elevation MTR rifle. However... it comes standard with a 24" barrel only and there is no 20" barrel option. The best idea I've figured is to buy this rifle and do a barrel swap with gunsmith and sell the stock barrel. I’ve also wondered if could modify stock barrel. I'm torn on the idea of modifying a brand new rifle altogether.

1686940570147.png

Is there a better way to get to a build as described with similar component like this more effectively or affordably? Any other advice worth considering?

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
You won’t be chopping that barrel on the MTR, but your plan to swap is solid. That’s if someone out there is looking for 24” Origin prefit.

I own an Elevation MTR and it is hands down one of the best production rifles available. Spending more on a custom gets you EXACTLY what you want but for almost twice as much money. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
You won’t be chopping that barrel on the MTR, but your plan to swap is solid. That’s if someone out there is looking for 24” Origin prefit.

I own an Elevation MTR and it is hands down one of the best production rifles available. Spending more on a custom gets you EXACTLY what you want but for almost twice as much money. My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Deadwolf. Sound advice. While Proof hasn’t announced anything… I gotta hope they are considering a shorter barrel offering with rifles trending to suppressor-ready. I’m gonna wait out the end of the year and see if I’m just lucky enough that Proof offers a the 7mm PRC in a 22” or 20” model. If that happens I’m much more likely to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

johnsd16

WKR
Action $1200-$1600
Barrel $600-$700
Trigger $150-$300
Bottom metal $200-$300
Stock/chassis $500-$1200 (say $700)

Maybe I’m off as I built last from scratch in 2020. It looks like the PR rifle is $3800. For components you’d be $2650-$4100 so at the low end you have $1k for assembly, chambering/threading and have exactly the specs you want. I don’t think it would cost $1k depending on the builder. I guess I’d build before I bought a $3800 rifle and started taking it apart, buying more stuff and paying a gunsmith. I’ve done the redo rodeo (see my 338 parts in the classifieds) it gets expensive quick.

gtriple

WKR
I absolutely would not buy a new Proof just to swap the barrel and eventually swap out the stock. That's just 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards... twice.

If you can spend the money, go ahead and jump into a custom action. The BAT Vesper is what my future custom build will be.

Or... for a whole lot less money..... Just Buy A Tikka.

WRO

WKR
I'd like to build (or buy) a 7mm PRC. Rifle is for the singular purpose of elk hunting in the backcountry and will be backpacked in frequently. I hunt western big country but never anticipate to shoot over 600 yards.

I have plenty of time so have no concerns about lead times of components and am even open to waiting for a new rifle to release is that’s the best option.

Parameters:
Barrel: I’m set on a 20" Proof Research Barrel to allow for a Thunderbeast Ultra 7" attached to it (I just purchased the suppressor for 2024 possession)
Action: Remington 700 clone to allow for future ease into an HNT26 chassis if desired
Recoil: free recoil energy <23.15lbs consistent of a 7mm rem mag non-suppressed, non-braked in classic wood stock.
Weight: As light as possible without increasing recoil threshold

With looking at many different rifles, I love the Proof Research Elevation MTR rifle. However... it comes standard with a 24" barrel only and there is no 20" barrel option. The best idea I've figured is to buy this rifle and do a barrel swap with gunsmith and sell the stock barrel. I’ve also wondered if could modify stock barrel. I'm torn on the idea of modifying a brand new rifle altogether.

View attachment 565631

Is there a better way to get to a build as described with similar component like this more effectively or affordably? Any other advice worth considering?

You're going to want a 22" barrel per the Thunder beasts recommendations.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Side question: How much worst would ya’ll say the Savage Mountain Hunter is than the Proof Elevation MTR? I ask cause Savage appears to offer the 7mm PRC in a shorter barrel than proof with a 22” barrel, and it’s $2000 whole rifle. I could essentially throw in a HNT26 chassis on a Savage and have a 7mm prc with chassis and the 22” proof barrel for the same price as the proof without the chassis. I’d much rather go 20” barrel but something to ponder.

Last edited:

gtriple

WKR
Side question: How much worst would ya’ll say the Savage Mountain Hunter is than the Proof Elevation MTR? I ask cause Savage appears to offer the 7mm PRC in a shorter barrel than proof with a 22” barrel, and it’s $2000 whole rifle. I could essentially throw in a HNT26 chassis on a Savage and have a 7mm prc with chassis and the 22” proof barrel for the same price as the proof without the chassis.
Eh, you are getting an average (at best) trigger and a mediocre action IMO.

Tikka action $700 (although I often find them for sub 600)
Proof barrel $950
HNT26 $1500
$3150

What is your realistic budget?

madcalfe

WKR
why don't you just call proof if you want to order the MTR and ask for a 20" barrel?
Id imagine they would be able to accommodate you since they do custom barrel lengths on the glacier TI

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG

Proof barrel $950
HNT26 $1500
$3150

Proof barrel $950
HNT26 $1500
$3150

What is your realistic budget?
$6000 with suppressor and optic. But for purposes of others out there probably also considering a similar build maybe $5000 aggressively.

Last edited:

gtriple

WKR
$6000 with suppressor and optic. But for purposes of safety others out there probably also considering a similar build maybe $5000 aggressively.
Hmmmm... going from most important to least important...

Thunder Beast Ultra 7 Direct Thread from JAOutdoors - $1030 + $200 donation to the gov't
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 - $1400 on the used market
Tikka action + bolt + trigger - $600
XLR Tikka long action chassis from JAOutdoors - $1403
Proof research prefit barrel - $950 from evolved ballistics
Unknown Munitions low 30mm rings - $105
Nightforce scope caps - $60
Magazine from XLR - $76
Lumley titanium bolt handle - $89

$5913 total for the last rifle you'll ever need.

Another option is a Christensen Ridgeline FFT in 7prc. 22" barrel, Triggertech trigger, Rem 700 inlet. Every now and then you'll get a lemon from them, but most of them are shooters. And then you can upgrade it over time. Buy a chassis for it, rings, suppressor, and scope... then if you want to swap it out for a custom action later you can without losing what you've invested.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no expert, but I have a couple tikkas with proof barrels. Proof has a 7prc carbon barrel in 22” that is in stock. Mesa has altitude stocks on sale right now. You find a tikka action, have your smith spin and test, slap the TBAC cb mount on and you will be shooting in 2 weeks.

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of interesting options out there, but at that price point, I would agree with a lot of other posters that buying components and having a gunsmith put it together, to get exactly what you want.

Just back of the envelope numbers-

Proof barrel $800
HNT26 $1500-1700
Pierce receiver $1000
Trigger tech $250
Chamber/thread $350

You’re looking at $3900 to have the exact gun built that you want. You’ll obviously have some other component cost and what not, but that gets you into a custom-level built rifle with your selected components, at basically the MSRP of the Proof rifle.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
That new Weatherby 307 alpine is in a HNT26 chassis, 22" 1:8"twist fluted steel barrel 5/8×24 muzzle, and has a trigger tech. Msrp is 2999.99

Carbon barrels are overrated
Had not seen this. This is the exact rifle I want in 7mm PRC but it is steel barrel and not the proof carbon. Hmmmmmm… great option.

Deadnoise

FNG
Just curious on why so short on barrel length for a 300 prc, i believe youd be losing quite a bit of velocity going that short