7mm PRC Build with a 20" Barrel - Elk Rifle for 2024 - Advice?

Original poster here... thought I’d provide an update.

My build plan is below. Anticipated to be sub 9lbs unloaded and just under $5000 with optics and suppressor.

This build is awaiting on the hope that Tikka releases a 7mm PRC at Shot Show this year in late January with a 22" or less inch barrel.

View attachment 635418

If anything stands out missing on the build please let me know as this will be my first semi-custom build. Thank you for all the guidance and contribution to get me to this point!

tikka makes a factory 7 PRC?

renagde

WKR
Anyone know what the weight difference would be between a 20" Carbon Fiber barrel and a 20" steel barrel? I am assuming not much, but would be curious on a more detailed answer - obviously depends on the contour of the steel barrel.
I don’t have the exact numbers but I believe my stock 24” tikka t3 lite 6.5 barrel weighed right around 42oz. My carbon six 20” sendero weighed right at 42oz as well. Carbon isn’t exactly the way to lose weight. But my sendero is quite a bit stiffer than a lite barrel and I wanted something stout since I use a suppressor.

If lightweight is your goal, a thin profile steel barrel with fluting is the way to go.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Original poster here... thought I’d provide an update.

My build plan is below. Anticipated to be sub 9lbs unloaded and just under $5000 with optics and suppressor.

This build is awaiting on the hope that Tikka releases a 7mm PRC at Shot Show this year in late January with a 22" or less inch barrel.

View attachment 635418

If anything stands out missing on the build please let me know as this will be my first semi-custom build. Thank you for all the guidance and contribution to get me to this point!
If you're doing a Tikka build, sure seems like the packages UM are doing is a nice easy button and you get a smith doing the work. I think your build weight is very heavily influenced by the barrel/length.

They don’t currently. But week three of January is when companies tend to update with Shot Show. Im praying for a release from them then and waiting until shot show before making my decision on build.
Has the 7PRC been adopted/approved by the SAAMI of Europe (can't recall what they are called)? I doubt Tikka will have a 7PRC before that has happened.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Has the 7PRC been adopted/approved by the SAAMI of Europe (can't recall what they are called)? I doubt Tikka will have a 7PRC before that has happened.

Cip is the Europe saami. When I look it up this is the list I find, but I have no idea how current it is. I assume it’s semi current as 6.8 western wasn’t on there until pretty recently.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know what the weight difference would be between a 20" Carbon Fiber barrel and a 20" steel barrel? I am assuming not much, but would be curious on a more detailed answer - obviously depends on the contour of the steel barrel.
like you said, depends on the contour.

a pencil steel barrel will be much lighter actually, but heats up fast for target shooting. However, for hunting only 1-2 shots is required so if you purely want to save weight, get a pencil steel barrel.

Hey I’m new here. Got my hunting itch back after a long hiatus. What is the community thought on the new Browning X-bolt McMillan Pro LR SPR. It’s a 20” 7 PRC. Thinking about this VS going full custom.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
following as I am deciding between 6.5 prc tikka and a nice scope while just upgrading it over next few years vs going full custom now and feeling foolish with a 2k gun and 500 dollar scope for time being

akwchil

FNG
like you said, depends on the contour.

a pencil steel barrel will be much lighter actually, but heats up fast for target shooting. However, for hunting only 1-2 shots is required so if you purely want to save weight, get a pencil steel barrel.
even with a suppressor?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
even with a suppressor?
Yeah. 9/16" threads are the way to go. My barrel is 24" and 3.0 lbs flat. And muzzle has enough meat for a muzzle brake mounted TBAC.

Could go a lighter contour yet if I went with a face-mounted brake, which I'll do next probably

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Sadly, looks like Shot Show did not release us a Tikka 7PRC, so it’s maybe it’s time for the Tikka 7mm rem mag and do the barrel swap… or..

Throwing one more out there that’s brand new, what is everyone’s opinion on this? Savage 110 in 7prc and has the 20” proof barrel. Shorter barrel than the Weatherby 307 Alpine package.

Last edited:

gabenzeke

WKR
Sadly, looks like Shot Show did not release us a Tikka 7PRC, so it’s maybe it’s time for the Tikka 7mm rem mag and do the barrel swap… or..

Throwing one more out there that’s brand new, what is everyone’s opinion on this? Savage 110 in 7prc and has the 20” proof barrel. Shorter barrel than the Weatherby 307 Alpine package.

Tikka can't make a 7 prc until it's adopted by CIP

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I would not spend $3300 to have a Savage action at the heart of my rifle. Even if street price ended up around $2700 I'd still pass. Go to a gun store and play with the regular ultralite 110 and see how crappy the bolt runs.

Might as well just build the Tikka or build an R700 clone. Unknown Munitions is now a direct dealer for Tikka rifles.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Hi all. Original poster again. I wanted to provide an update to the group that I made final decision on the build after considerable research and review. My hope is perhaps this helps someone out there looking to make a similar build.

Below is the build (this is essentially a Proof Research Elevation MTN Hunter with a HNT Chassis and a 22" barrel [not 24']). None of this requires a gunsmith.

1706638519257.png

All items have been ordered and these are preliminary estimates of weight. I shared msrp's as everyone will purchase their items with different taxes, and whatever potential MIL/LE/FR discounts they personally have. It will be a number of months before these items all come in... but once they are in and assembled, I will provide a photo and update.