7mm PRC Build with a 20" Barrel - Elk Rifle for 2024 - Advice?

AkRyan

WKR
I’ll check with the company that built mine. I thought they said that the 20 inch would be available. The owner was very partial to the benchmark 20 inch. I went in that direction and I have been extremely happy so far.
Some say that the proof is a little faster of a barrel, I don’t know if this has been proven. I was looking for a little more speed out of mine, but the accuracy could not have been improved as this is a tac driver. The factory 175 ELDX ammo was showing pretty heavy ejector marks and the person who was developing my load wanted to dial it back. I believe we ended up at 2770 ft./s. for 175 gr. We opted to go with the 162 eldx and achieved 2877 f/ps with single digit es . Maintaining the same accuracy.
How many powders did he try? I only ask because I get 2700ish with 162 eldx in my 7mm-08. I think you should see a bit more possibly with some other powder.

Sevens

WKR
I had one built like that for elk this year… we’ll see how it goes.

38a4db62a190b0adbba36a38dd3d146d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Followed a similar formula myself …

IMG_9550.jpeg

todd458

FNG
Got my build all together but haven’t gotten to shoot it yet.

ARC Coup de Grace LA
Carbon Six Sendero 20”
MDT HNT26
Triggertech Special
Thunderbeast Dominus
Zeiss Ultralight Rings
Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18x50

Weighs just a touch over 10lb with 5 round aics magazine.
Let me know what bullet and velocity. I’m getting 2877 with the 162 ELDX. Factory ammo was 2770 with pressure signs. 175 ELDX

I built a 7SS last year before the 7PRC came out, eerily similar to what the OP is building. 20" Carbon6 profit, Terminus Apollo Ti action, TBAC Dominus, MDT HNT26, NF ATACR 4-16X42. What a sweet setup and turned out exactly as I wanted.

I will warn you, the HNT26 has a garbage buttpad for anything but a 6.5CM or 22LR. It's a hunk of plastic, hollowed out with a thin skin of rubber. Limbsaver makes one that is close to fitting, but requires some modification to get it to work.

PXL_20220620_142634129.jpg
She gets to just shy of 10lbs with the suppressor on.

Last edited:

Clark33

WKR
Mines a 22” barrel, so far it shoots both the precision hunter and match well. She’s a touch over 10lbs and easy to shoot.

Nucleus 2.0 action
Osprey CF barrel (Patriot Valley Arms)
PVA ultralight brake
Timney Elite Hunter
Manners LRH
ARC M10 rings
NF nx8
8FC499A3-C0A1-4FA4-A14E-1166D490CA10.jpeg

TxLite

WKR
Let me know what bullet and velocity. I’m getting 2877 with the 162 ELDX. Factory ammo was 2770 with pressure signs. 175 ELDX
What powder did you settle on? I was getting similar velocity with factory eldx in my 18” but reloads have be pretty slow with h1000. Havent finished my load with 180 Hybrids but they are slow as hell currently.

todd458

FNG
What powder did you settle on? I was getting similar velocity with factory eldx in my 18” but reloads have be pretty slow with h1000. Havent finished my load with 180 Hybrids but they are slow as hell currently.
Sorry, I just saw this. This is the 162 ELDX. He now has some ADG brass in, and he thinks they will handle a little bit more pressure than the Hornady brass.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 59

TxLite

WKR
Sorry, I just saw this. This is the 162 ELDX. He now has some ADG brass in, and he thinks they will handle a little bit more pressure than the Hornady brass.
Looks like N565. That’s one I’ve been curious about. Might have to give it a shot. Thanks

I'd like to build (or buy) a 7mm PRC. Rifle is for the singular purpose of elk hunting in the backcountry and will be backpacked in frequently. I hunt western big country but never anticipate to shoot over 600 yards.

I have plenty of time so have no concerns about lead times of components and am even open to waiting for a new rifle to release is that’s the best option.

Parameters:
Barrel: I’m set on a 20" Proof Research Barrel to allow for a Thunderbeast Ultra 7" attached to it (I just purchased the suppressor for 2024 possession)
Action: Remington 700 clone to allow for future ease into an HNT26 chassis if desired
Recoil: free recoil energy <23.15lbs consistent of a 7mm rem mag non-suppressed, non-braked in classic wood stock.
Weight: As light as possible without increasing recoil threshold

With looking at many different rifles, I love the Proof Research Elevation MTR rifle. However... it comes standard with a 24" barrel only and there is no 20" barrel option. The best idea I've figured is to buy this rifle and do a barrel swap with gunsmith and sell the stock barrel. I’ve also wondered if could modify stock barrel. I'm torn on the idea of modifying a brand new rifle altogether.

View attachment 565631

Is there a better way to get to a build as described with similar component like this more effectively or affordably? Any other advice worth considering?
What did you end up going with? Or are you still working on it?

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
What did you end up going with? Or are you still working on it?
Hey - thanks for asking. Not built yet. My short list is Weatherby 307 Alpine on the MDT chassis at $2999, but taking my time building up funding with hopes to get a 22” Proof Barrel on a Tikka Action for JA Outdoors and buy a HNT26 chassis. Holding out that there will be a 20” 7PRC prefit from proof or JA for a few more months too before pulling trigger.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I just got a custom finished that is 7 PRC, 20" barrel. Was going to be a 7 SAUM but when PRC got released I liked the idea of factory ammo as an option.....rifle is intended as a longer range mountain rifle, so goal was 9 lb or under supppressed w/optic. Made that easy.

Barrel is still getting worked in so have not fussed with chrono yet, but soon.

IMG_2330.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG

gabenzeke

WKR
I just got a custom finished that is 7 PRC, 20" barrel. Was going to be a 7 SAUM but when PRC got released I liked the idea of factory ammo as an option.....rifle is intended as a longer range mountain rifle, so goal was 9 lb or under supppressed w/optic. Made that easy.

Barrel is still getting worked in so have not fussed with chrono yet, but soon.

View attachment 604634
View attachment 604635
View attachment 604633
Which arca rail is that?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently got mine assembled, DIY pre-fit.
Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter
Proof carbon @ 22" (compromise for suppresser)
McMillan Game Hunter
ARC Rings
Leupold 5 HD 3-15
Hawkins HDBM
Trigger Tech

First range day, factory ammo, .574" three shot

I'll check with him to see if he's chono'd yet. We just released a 18'' out in the wild as well. Curious to see what these shorty's will bring with factory ammo. precision hunter has ran on the hot side out of several barrels in our testing (Ace, Bartlein, Benchmark.)
Wondering how the 18" 7PRCs perform without suppressors. I have a 24" XBolt that I'm thinking of cutting down for a more compact mountain/brush gun.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Original poster here... thought I’d provide an update.

My build plan is below. Anticipated to be sub 9lbs unloaded and just under $5000 with optics and suppressor.

This build is awaiting on the hope that Tikka releases a 7mm PRC at Shot Show this year in late January with a 22" or less inch barrel.

1701495924570.jpeg

If anything stands out missing on the build please let me know as this will be my first semi-custom build. Thank you for all the guidance and contribution to get me to this point!

Last edited:

jk_minn

FNG
Anyone know what the weight difference would be between a 20" Carbon Fiber barrel and a 20" steel barrel? I am assuming not much, but would be curious on a more detailed answer - obviously depends on the contour of the steel barrel.