7mm PRC Build with a 20" Barrel - Elk Rifle for 2024 - Advice?

jzeblaz

WKR
I love all the new cartridges, scopes, heavy ass chassis systems, and suppressors……but I must be officially over the hill, because as hard as I try it just doesn’t fit my old fashioned view of a mountain rifle. Getting a cartridge bigger than a 7 rem mag, then cutting the barrel down so it has 7mag performance, but requires a heavy suppressor just made my head hurt. I think it’s cool, don’t get me wrong - I’d love to see it in action. I’ll be the old guy with slim 26” shillen 7 mag barrel, pounder Kevlar stock, and fixed 6x scope.
Nothing wrong with that. I like shiny too, but the older mountain rifles flat out get it done. I got the privilege to hunt with a suppressor this year for the first time and it was a wow factor. Shorter barrel, probably not as great ballistics and maybe a more awkward weight (can it was massively long), but it was nice when the lead started flying.

That said, I do lust for a light chassis with a can. Someday...someday.

TaperPin

WKR
That said, I do lust for a light chassis with a can. Someday...someday.

How heavy are the lighter chassis setups? I‘ve only seen the aluminum competition setups that are pretty heavy, but if someone had a really light one, maybe carbon fiber or Kevlar, I’d be interested - maybe aluminum is the way to go.

Until you get that can, here’s a picture of the suppressor for my rifle.

Attachments

• E8B142C5-4C26-4479-8D24-C120711DFD4E.jpeg
    E8B142C5-4C26-4479-8D24-C120711DFD4E.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 25

ID_Matt

WKR
How heavy are the lighter chassis setups? I‘ve only seen the aluminum competition setups that are pretty heavy, but if someone had a really light one, maybe carbon fiber or Kevlar, I’d be interested - maybe aluminum is the way to go.

XLR and MDT have chassis setups that are right at or less than 2 lbs. MDT is mostly carbon fiber. XLR is magnesium with carbon butt.

WKR
I love all the new cartridges, scopes, heavy ass chassis systems, and suppressors……but I must be officially over the hill, because as hard as I try it just doesn’t fit my old fashioned view of a mountain rifle. Getting a cartridge bigger than a 7 rem mag, then cutting the barrel down so it has 7mag performance, but requires a heavy suppressor just made my head hurt. I think it’s cool, don’t get me wrong - I’d love to see it in action. I’ll be the old guy with slim 26” shillen 7 mag barrel, pounder Kevlar stock, and fixed 6x scope.

I replaced a 30 year old, shot out 7mm mag barrel with a 7prc. The fact that I can cut it shorter for a can and still be on par with a 7 mag is a bonus.

jzeblaz

WKR

I believe MDT's lightest is 26 oz.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
I built two rifles, one in 2021 and one in 2022. I was able to get them built for $4300 and $4400 with rings and no scope. I waited for sales to get the parts 10-20% off. I did not skimp on the quality of parts. Terminus actions, carbon six barrels, TT specials, TI pro brakes, Hawkins bdl, Wyatt’s boxes, Hawkins rings, SRS rails and Mesa precision stocks. Since then prices of the actions have gone up. I say save up and build exactly what you want if you can’t find a rifle that has exactly what you want.

I'm still getting acclimated to my Seekins PH2 that I had shortened to 22" in 7PRC, but its nice to see that 175 eldX has speed data roughly like the 180 ELDM. SD of 36. I wanna say the speed was averaging 2790, but I'm less than 40 rounds in. The thin barrel definitely heats up quickly. After cooling for an hour, it looked like groups tightened up to 3/4". I'll throw an additional 40 rounds through it later this week and see how the speed looks

todd458

FNG
I was getting 2780 out of my 20 inch benchmark with the 175 grain. I was looking for a little bit more speed and ended up with 2877 ft./s with the 162s. Not saying that it was the right thing to do, I do like the BC of that 175’s. I just have about 65 to 70 rounds through it, and maybe those 175s will speed up a little. I will say the 162s definitely and noticeably recoil less than 175s. Though the 175 were by no means brutal. Also to note, the 175’s were the factory loads, at 2780 ft./s and I have ejector marks on the brass. The person that reloads for me pointed this out and said these are very hot. Images of the 175 factory brass are in pic below

Attachments

• 70836983348__ADA71F01-F603-44E5-BFC6-EA98B7DB5D05.jpeg
    70836983348__ADA71F01-F603-44E5-BFC6-EA98B7DB5D05.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7524.jpeg
    IMG_7524.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-06-14 10:42:00.600301.jpeg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-06-14 10:42:00.600301.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 107
I'm a big proponent of buy once, cry once. If you know your going to get into a HNT26, and you specifically want that 20" barrel, I would just build the rifle you want now rather than waste time and money buying something pre-built and changing it around. And I know a lot of guys like Tikka, but if it was me, I would rather go with a good R700 clone as there is a lot more after market support for them, i.e triggers, stocks/chassis, rings, etc.

Reactions: BBB
I shot again today. mostly trying to burn in the barrel. barrel has sped up 50fps avg. the first box averaged 2745, the third box is 2789 all from the same lot. Hornady 180g eldm. no pressure signs and the gun is holding 1/2" groups too. I'm guessing some handloads and Berger 180 hybrids

todd458

FNG
We just wrapped up this similar tikka build for a local.

20” 7 PRC running a TBAC Ultra 7.

These just flat out get it done.
View attachment 567550
Can I get velocity numbers from you please? I was getting 2770 feet per second with the factory 175 that I got when I bought the rifle. The person that does my reloading said they showed pretty solid, ejector marks. We shot those and reloaded them with the 162 ELDX and was getting 2877 ft./s. We decided to run with those. When doing these test I had only had about 25 to 30 rounds max down the barrel I’m up to about 90 rounds down the barrel and going to check again. But curious about your velocity. Thank you.

Can I get velocity numbers from you please?
I'll check with him to see if he's chono'd yet. We just released a 18'' out in the wild as well. Curious to see what these shorty's will bring with factory ammo. precision hunter has ran on the hot side out of several barrels in our testing (Ace, Bartlein, Benchmark.)

renagde

WKR
weigh my options while I save up funding. I've dialed down my three options below and created a chart comparison with estimated costs and ounces. I'm completely guessing on my labor costs, and have also not determined a scope to run (I'm partial to something light and doesn't need more than 10x magnification). If you have any further recommendations on any of the components or anything, please advise. I appreciate all the expertise on here - this would be a first build for me and has been my first original posting, so this has been incredibly helpful. Thank you!

I'm in the process of building a "custom" rifle. I pre ordered a ARC Coup de Grace action this spring and just got my shipping notification so it'll all be getting bolted together within the week. I have a very similar build to what you're looking to do, Coup de Grace action, MDT HNT26 stock, 20" Carbon Six 7 PRC barrel, Triggertech Special trigger and I'll be using my Thunderbeast Dominus on it. Action is $899, found a good deal on the stock for $1300, bought the barrel on sale for $750, used trigger for $125.

If you want to go a similar route, Brownells has the Kelbly Nanook long actions on sale for $1360 right now. You can stack on of the various 10% off coupons on top of that. Buy a Preferred Barrel Blank carbon prefit barrel (they did have a 7 PRC barrel in stock) and bolt everything to a stock. You'll be at the same price point as a Tikka and arguably a better setup, especially if you want to load the 7 PRC long.

Blue_dog

FNG
Does anyone make a traditional stock with a folding mechanism? I remember manners or mesa made one a few years back but I can’t find it.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm in the process of building a "custom" rifle. I pre ordered a ARC Coup de Grace action this spring and just got my shipping notification so it'll all be getting bolted together within the week. I have a very similar build to what you're looking to do, Coup de Grace action, MDT HNT26 stock, 20" Carbon Six 7 PRC barrel, Triggertech Special trigger and I'll be using my Thunderbeast Dominus on it. Action is $899, found a good deal on the stock for $1300, bought the barrel on sale for $750, used trigger for $125.

If you want to go a similar route, Brownells has the Kelbly Nanook long actions on sale for $1360 right now. You can stack on of the various 10% off coupons on top of that. Buy a Preferred Barrel Blank carbon prefit barrel (they did have a 7 PRC barrel in stock) and bolt everything to a stock. You'll be at the same price point as a Tikka and arguably a better setup, especially if you want to load the 7 PRC long.
Is your cdg a long action magnum? I ordered mine when they came out and still hadn't heard yet. Hopefully I'm getting close to shopping!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
Is your cdg a long action magnum? I ordered mine when they came out and still hadn't heard yet. Hopefully I'm getting close to shopping!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I ordered a long action CDG with a standard bolt face on the release day. It just shipped on Friday. Hope yours ships soon!

AkRyan

WKR
Based on what the pros use, they'd disagree. Proof is one of the top barrel manufacturers for pro shooters. Much better than Carbon6, who uses McGowen blanks, which are never used by pro shooters.
Do pros shoot 20" barrels or do they shoot 26"-30" barrels? Carbon is lighter when compared to long barrels but the weight savings in a short barrel is extremely negligible. Also anyone that believes there carbon barrel stays cooler than a metal one just go shoot a 5 shot string and put a meat thermometer in the action side of your barrel. Not to mention carbon fails when chipped and these are .....wait for it.....HUNTING RIFLES!!! not benchrest guns. You can be the guy that has a f350 with a 10in lift or the guy with the old flatbed his dad gave to him, your choice.

You can stack enough 10% off coupons to get a nanook build to the same price as a build that starts with a sub $1000 rifle which includes a trigger and bottom metal?

renagde

WKR
You can stack enough 10% off coupons to get a nanook build to the same price as a build that starts with a sub $1000 rifle which includes a trigger and bottom metal?
They had them for $1320 I believe so with a 10% coupon it would have been around $1200 for the action. I don’t think the OP was talking about modding a $1000 rifle.