7mm-08 Rem success on big game

Three antelope taken by me, my son, and my father in law. Using 139gr SST Superformance factory load. Bullet almost worked too well. Next time I do antelope or other smaller game, I may use an accubond or another tougher bullet to limit fragmentation. We had one hit a shoulder and it completely destroyed it but that was not unexpected. What surprised me was how much damage to the meat was done with a non-shoulder initial impact. My son wanted his picture with all three
4cd4ece211de8449044adb0b28d0ae2c.jpg

a93900baddb86d49ad13169590705d4e.jpg

8cd59416d27eca1fc24599c6a70d74fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used hand loaded 140gr Nosler BT in my 7-08 on a cow elk yesterday. ~2600fps impact velocity. First hit was 1/3 of the way up the chest, 4" behind shoulder. She ran about 20 yards, wobbled and went down. I put a second in her a few minutes later after her head was still up.

Once cutting her open, neither bullet made it all the way through, but the lungs weren't shredded or jellied in the least bit. Just holes going through. Did not recover a bullet, not sure where they went.

This was my first kill using them. Can't say they worked bad, but I would have expected more damage, especially how people talk about how fragile they are.

Anyone else using the 140 BT on stuff bigger than deer that have more data points?

JGRaider

WKR
She went 20 yards and fell over......and you're wondering if your bullet performed well? Couldn't ask for much more if you ask me. The early ballistic tips from 35 years ago were pretty frangible, and sucked IME. The improved versions are excellent killers, as you have now witnessed.

She went 20 yards and fell over......and you're wondering if your bullet performed well? Couldn't ask for much more if you ask me. The early ballistic tips from 35 years ago were pretty frangible, and sucked IME. The improved versions are excellent killers, as you have now witnessed.
I guess it just took longer for her to die than I expected given the shot placement. I've only ever killed deer with a rifle. A better question I guess would be, on average how long does a lung shot elk tend to live for? 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10? I saw the holes in the lungs and just expected more damage I guess. That's all. I'll likely keep using them.