7mm-08 Rem success on big game

Three antelope taken by me, my son, and my father in law. Using 139gr SST Superformance factory load. Bullet almost worked too well. Next time I do antelope or other smaller game, I may use an accubond or another tougher bullet to limit fragmentation. We had one hit a shoulder and it completely destroyed it but that was not unexpected. What surprised me was how much damage to the meat was done with a non-shoulder initial impact. My son wanted his picture with all three
4cd4ece211de8449044adb0b28d0ae2c.jpg

a93900baddb86d49ad13169590705d4e.jpg

8cd59416d27eca1fc24599c6a70d74fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used hand loaded 140gr Nosler BT in my 7-08 on a cow elk yesterday. ~2600fps impact velocity. First hit was 1/3 of the way up the chest, 4" behind shoulder. She ran about 20 yards, wobbled and went down. I put a second in her a few minutes later after her head was still up.

Once cutting her open, neither bullet made it all the way through, but the lungs weren't shredded or jellied in the least bit. Just holes going through. Did not recover a bullet, not sure where they went.

This was my first kill using them. Can't say they worked bad, but I would have expected more damage, especially how people talk about how fragile they are.

Anyone else using the 140 BT on stuff bigger than deer that have more data points?

JGRaider

WKR
She went 20 yards and fell over......and you're wondering if your bullet performed well? Couldn't ask for much more if you ask me. The early ballistic tips from 35 years ago were pretty frangible, and sucked IME. The improved versions are excellent killers, as you have now witnessed.

She went 20 yards and fell over......and you're wondering if your bullet performed well? Couldn't ask for much more if you ask me. The early ballistic tips from 35 years ago were pretty frangible, and sucked IME. The improved versions are excellent killers, as you have now witnessed.
I guess it just took longer for her to die than I expected given the shot placement. I've only ever killed deer with a rifle. A better question I guess would be, on average how long does a lung shot elk tend to live for? 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10? I saw the holes in the lungs and just expected more damage I guess. That's all. I'll likely keep using them.

Northof51

FNG
Used hand loaded 140gr Nosler BT in my 7-08 on a cow elk yesterday. ~2600fps impact velocity. First hit was 1/3 of the way up the chest, 4" behind shoulder. She ran about 20 yards, wobbled and went down. I put a second in her a few minutes later after her head was still up.

Once cutting her open, neither bullet made it all the way through, but the lungs weren't shredded or jellied in the least bit. Just holes going through. Did not recover a bullet, not sure where they went.

This was my first kill using them. Can't say they worked bad, but I would have expected more damage, especially how people talk about how fragile they are.

Anyone else using the 140 BT on stuff bigger than deer that have more data points?

My father in law used these for all his hunting, antelope to moose and never an issue. Swore by the 140 ballistic tip in a 7-08.

FredH

FNG
162g ELDM leaving the muzzle at 2650. 206 yards. Buck antelope. Entered through the front shoulder, quartering to, found an exit in the back of the guts, but did not exit the hide, the bullet was under the hide just outside the exit in between the hide and the rear quarter on the opposing side.

If I could post videos I would, but in the video it appears that the hit was much further back than it was. If you look at my first picture of the entrance, you can see a ton of smaller holes around the entrance, I'm wondering if that bullet fragmented and fragments blew out the shoulder before the bulk of the bullet proceeded through the animal. I had trouble finding the exit before skinning because there were what appeared to be several small holes with blood on the shoulder. @Formidilosus ever seen this?

Incredible penetration and huge wound channel. This is the first animal I've shot with match bullets and I have to say I feel it almost caused too much damage. I wouldn't hesitate to use this combo on literally anything.

1st pic is entrance
2nd Pic is exit
3rd pic is what was recovered of the bullet
4th pic is all those additional holes I was talking about around the entrance.
f096047e5224a6edaea24203caf75a2a.jpg
dccd5e8ea8c411f4f6fb45b67bdf3525.jpg
6a4811e66dbe462792aaa9f2b6872337.jpg
6a55084d3c36ddaf6b73d918b609c5d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Notice the innerlok ring in the expanded bullets jacket.

Jamr

FNG
Here is a little Western Wa black tail. Tikka T3 and 162 gr ELDM.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    735.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 2