6ARC Tikka

BLJ

WKR
Agree. And fully understand your response. I should have asked a better question.

With powders that are not temp stable, is there a significant difference in POI out to 500 yards with the 6 ARC? Specifically a Hornady 105 HPBT, Starline brass, CCI 400’s and Leverevolution from a Ruger American Gen 2? I know this will be a general answer as different rifles do different things.
Does the pressure increase to a dangerous level in a modern bolt action rifle? For example a Tikka. Or in my case, a Ruger American Gen 2?

And for the POI question let’s say an 8-10” kill zone. Whitetail deer. Thanks.

Juan_ID

WKR
I’d be interested in your load info if you don’t mind. What rifle? Thanks.
It was a rebarreled tikka t3x. 223 bolt opened up and preferred prefit. I thought I had notes in my phone but couldn’t find them, it was right at a max charge (maybe just a hair over) of varget in necked down starline grendel brass and cci 450s.

Agree. And fully understand your response. I should have asked a better question.

With powders that are not temp stable, is there a significant difference in POI out to 500 yards with the 6 ARC? Specifically a Hornady 105 HPBT, Starline brass, CCI 400’s and Leverevolution from a Ruger American Gen 2? I know this will be a general answer as different rifles do different things.
Does the pressure increase to a dangerous level in a modern bolt action rifle? For example a Tikka. Or in my case, a Ruger American Gen 2?

And for the POI question let’s say an 8-10” kill zone. Whitetail deer. Thanks.

Pretty hard to speak in absolutes and I just haven't messed with powders that are volatile with temps much.

To me it's just a nuisance id rather avoid in most cases. If a guy is choosing it for velocity, hes going to get less of that when its cold out if he wants a load that's not going to be problematic in the heat.

That said, i'll be trying lever and tac more in 223 ammo just to throw charges for short range practice so maybe my thoughts will change.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
The way to use Lever is to work it up in the hottest conditions possible, then drop it a half grain or so. You’ll lose a bit of velocity in colder conditions, but it’ll be safe.
At least in 223 I/we haven’t seen a notable change in POI or data out to 600 yards from 90°’s to 30° in a couple of rifles.

The way to use Lever is to work it up in the hottest conditions possible, then drop it a half grain or so. You’ll lose a bit of velocity in colder conditions, but it’ll be safe.
At least in 223 I/we haven’t seen a notable change in POI or data out to 600 yards from 90°’s to 30° in a couple of rifles.
So in that statement, you're just saying that you haven't seen a dramatic change in speed that would change drops out to 600 yards in cold weather but you haven't done any evaluation of speed data with a chrono and hot and cold soaked ammo, right?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So in that statement, you're just saying that you haven't seen a dramatic change in speed that would change drops out to 600 yards in cold weather but you haven't done any evaluation of speed data with a chrono and hot and cold soaked ammo, right?

Correct.

I will in the next couple of months. I shot quite a bit of Lever from 223’s last year, and data was the same out to 600’ish.

In my experience with 6.5 Grendel and LVR powder with 100 grain class bullets, I’ve not found pressure in Texas summer temps with literally a full case of powder. I think I topped out somewhere around 31.5-32.0 grains of powder with 107 TMKs and saw average velocities of 2650 in a 20” Howa Mini.

The 6ARC may behave a little differently with the slightly smaller bore size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on the situation and what you consider dangerous. It is unlikely you're going to injure yourself with a modern rifle but you can absolutely destroy brass and potentially damage rifle components if you've really screwed up. If you worked up the load in cold/cool temps that is already near max pressure (or above because you just backed off "pressure signs" which are usually well over max) and then fire it when its 100F outside it could blow out primers, destroy primer pockets, etc. Some powders reportedly spike quite a bit once they're over pressure so its potentially a compounding issue.

Some of the less stable powders have 100fps flections between reasonably hot and cold. But to your main point, how much affect does 100fps have on your given ballistic profile versus the size of the target you're after. Run the numbers and see. :) Then test your combo to know what you're working with if you go that route.

slowelk

WKR
It was a rebarreled tikka t3x. 223 bolt opened up and preferred prefit. I thought I had notes in my phone but couldn’t find them, it was right at a max charge (maybe just a hair over) of varget in necked down starline grendel brass and cci 450s.

Do you have go/no-go gauges for 6arc? I'd like to rent them from you if you have them.