6ARC Tikka

MThuntr

WKR
I'm struggling to get anything safe over 2575 in my 20" Howa using 106 TAP bullets. So far fastest and most consistent is CFE223.

I think my next one will have a 22" barrel and it's starting to look like it'll be a Savage conversion or I'd go 6GT with a Tikka purely so I don't have to fiddle with bolts

Makes sense.

The factory ammo cost is the other main driver but at some point when I get back to reloading that becomes a non issue I think.
I’ve shot a bunch of solid factory 6 creed ammo over the past couple years that was 1.15-1.40 per round

A Tikka in 6 ARC probably is the one gun solution.

The 308 is a great cartridge all around- way better than most now think. It’s one of the few options for a cartridge that has enough barrel life to be used as a trainer as well. It can be a one gun choice, but recoil is higher than one really wants for full time use.

The 6.5cm is what people thought the 308 was. But, barrel life is enough lower to be a problem for a true one gun solution, and it still recoils a bit more than optimum.

The 6cm is great, but its barrel life is short enough that it is not really usable as a trainer, and it is more a replacement for a “magnum” for most hunters.

The 223 is the trainer cartridge, everyone should have one, and it is good for hunting to around 450’ish (yes, it can kill well at much longer ranges). However, there are a couple of states that don’t allow it- this only actually matters if you currently hunt in those states- buy guns for what you actually hunt, not what you may hunt.

Enter 6 ARC: near 223 and 308 barrel life- true practice gun capable. Well below 6cm recoil, 600-700 yard terminal range, $20 a box good factory ammo. Easy modification to bolt to work in a Tikka.

I’m coming to this conclusions as well. Barrel life is an important consideration for me cause I don’t do barrel swaps and turning my gun over to a smith to be gone for 5 months to get rebarreled is pretty inconvenient.

I got my Howa Mini 6 ARC barreled action from Brownells for under $500. I’m keeping a round count and I just passed 1K rounds. I’m expecting 5K rounds at least. When it’s shot out, I’ll just buy a new barreled action and toss it in my stock.

I’ve got a 108 ELDM load in my 6 ARC that rivals my Tikkas in accuracy. It’s more than adequate for hunting and my self imposed limit on an animal is 500 yards. I’m still at 1900 FPS with my load so I should be good.

6 ARC brass is easy to work and reload. It also doesn’t eat up a bunch of powder. My 27.5 grain load of Varget gives me about 250 rounds out of a lb of powder.

6 ARC is now my favorite cartridge.