6 UM or 6-7PRC?

khuber84

WKR
-Sac dies are $300 with bushing

-BC Micron dies are $275 + $35 bushing
I got mine a few years ago on a 4th July sale for a lot less money. I don't have experience with the combo neck/shoulder bushing application. Sounds like it'd work, but just out the norm of bushing operations. I do have "the seater" die for 473 base cases, and use on on everything from 22br to 308 and it saves so much realestate on my press. I'd like to get the Saum and prc based seaters eventually as I shoot 6, 65, 7 saum, and 25, 65 prc. Would likely be able to use the prc seater on my 7lrm as well. They're all great products, the guys at both companies listen to the word on the streets of the rifle scene and accommodate accordingly. Which a lot of the larger companies do not do.

khuber84

WKR
not related to clickers but I assume the BC Micron dies dont size all the way to neck/shoulder junction like other FL bushing dies? They dont do anything different in that regard do they?
They had an option in the beginning for full length neck or partial neck sizing. They no longer offer that to my knowledge. I have micron in 65 prc, 65 Saum, 300wsm and 300 norma Imp, and they all size the about the same amount of neck as a redding, RCBS or Hornady bushing dies do. They all leave a small portion of the neck unsized, accept for the SAC dies that have a bushing that bumps shoulder, it acts almost like a non bushing die.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Good Questions

We don't have the 6-7PRC reamer yet; it should arrive by the end of January. I am going to build one.

We will be talking to Peterson and ADG about 6UM brass at SHOT.

6um Pros
Less Recoil
Short Action
Short case
Very efficient

Con
Brass availability
Fire forming
Custom Die

6-7PRC Pros
Brass availability
No fire forming
7PRC Die

Con
Long Action(Remington)
Minimal velocity increase??
Ryan, what barrel contour are you going to go with for your 6-7prc?

GoatPackr

WKR
How much more powder capacity will the 7 prc case have?
I've been interested in this since the mentioned of it on Shoot2Hunt .

Was planning a 6 UM Tikka barrel job this spring until this caught my attention.

Kris

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
How much more powder capacity will the 7 prc case have?
I've been interested in this since the mentioned of it on Shoot2Hunt .

Was planning a 6 UM Tikka barrel job this spring until this caught my attention.

Kris
6 grains more. My question is how much faster and how much more recoil. My guess is the velocity gain over the 6UM will be minimal and the recoil will be noticeable over the 6UM. But I gotta try it:)

GoatPackr

WKR
6 grains more. My question is how much faster and how much more recoil. My guess is the velocity gain over the 6UM will be minimal and the recoil will be noticeable over the 6UM. But I gotta try it:)
Even if you can shoot it without a big increase in velocity. The pros are pretty strong. Brass availability and dies are huge players over the 6UM .
It could possibly shoot well without high pressure so brass and barrels get a little more life.

Not that barrel life is a big pro but to some it is.

I'll be patiently waiting the review

Kris

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Even if you can shoot it without a big increase in velocity. The pros are pretty strong. Brass availability and dies are huge players over the 6UM .
It could possibly shoot well without high pressure so brass and barrels get a little more life.

Kris
I get all that, I’m just a fan of short fat cases.

amassi

WKR

Kris

A straight 6saum is likely the benchmark for diminished returns. I don’t think the 6-7prc will gain much
If you wanted an easy brass and die cartridge the 6prc, 6saum has slightly more expensive does and brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk