6.5 PRC Regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's perfectly true the 6.5 PRC offers nothing inside 400 or 500 yards over a 270 - or any one of other dozens of cartridges. The 6.5 PRC is, however, a truly modern cartridge taking advantage of what is known about inherently accurate case design - ie, a short powder column in a case with minimal taper and a 30* shoulder. Factory rifles are twisted correctly for it, and, unlike the 270, wonderful Lapua brass is made for it. The PRC is a 6.5-06 (or 270 if you will) designed "right" from the ground up.

For an "average" hunter who doesn't handload, or shoot beyond 400 or 500 yards, all the marbles are in the 270's court IMO. But for those that handload, or want to shoot out to a 1000 yards so that 500 yards is a chip shot, the 6.5 PRC brings a lot to the table. I love the 270 (currently have two), but the PRC is a great cartridge too. Were I younger, starting from scratch, and a handloader, I'd likely go with the PRC. I believe, rightly so, it's here to stay.

I guess I don't get why it has to be an "either or" proposition...

Agree.

It is a long range shooter's cartridge, that should work fine for std. hunting.

But it brings insignificant performance figures well past the decimal point for a field cartridge, and a few negatives in that regard as well.

Should put the .280AI out of business as the "Beanfield" cartridge, though.

GR

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Came to hopefully learn something new about 6.5 prc, instead stumbled into a ford/chevy, gas/diesel debate 🤮 feels like the campfire as someone else noted. If tikka would make a standard base model 6.5prc instead of all the roughtek models I’d have caved a long time ago on one.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Really don't think designers of new cartridges are trying to "put any others out of business", but rather to attempt to sell a new product. If your job is a design engineer, or you have an inquisitive mind and want to step out of the norm, better try new things or everything gets stale and your job may be in jeopardy.

Really don't think designers of new cartridges are trying to "put any others out of business", but rather to attempt to sell a new product. If your job is a design engineer, or you have an inquisitive mind and want to step out of the norm, better try new things or everything gets stale and your job may be in jeopardy.

Doesn't work that way.

Market, and market share.

Barring market expansion, the potential revenue is finite.

The 6.5 Creedmore - was a massive ad campaign and did expand the market with new shooters and hunters.

Like Tiger Woods did for Golf.

This cartridge most likely won't, so it will have to compete.

GR

Came to hopefully learn something new about 6.5 prc, instead stumbled into a ford/chevy, gas/diesel debate 🤮 feels like the campfire as someone else noted. If tikka would make a standard base model 6.5prc instead of all the roughtek models I’d have caved a long time ago on one.

It's the insight and analysis that is the purpose of discussion, not a right or wrong answer.

The 6.5 PRC is a very attractive cartridge at first blush.

Seriously considered it, along with the 6.8 Western and 1:8 twist .270 Winchester.

Depends on what you want, and if you understand what that actually is, and what are the trade-offs.

Hence the discussion.

GR

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Just hopped in here:
- tough thread 😂
- page 6 reading comprehension comes out, one of my favorite “insults” for threads like this.
- .270 is cool. New cartridges can be too.
- The ad campaign theory is a fallacy. It didn’t get invented and assimilated overnight.
- Tiger lit the golf world up because he was different and could do things others could not, and won at an unprecedented rate. I mean, the Nike ads were good, but they didn’t “make” Tiger compelling to the more general population (call that hunters in the analogy). Ironically, the analogy is good though, just not how it was intended - creed is popular for lower recoil, better accuracy, better performance in being timed with better bullets. So everyone chambers it.
- campfire reference is true. We need a ban category for obstinate and uncontrolled responses. People who just get on here to argue contribute nothing need clipped.
- PSA: ego, insults, and overly argumentative posting is not a discussion, nor is it an effective way to make a point. It is pretty funny though, by all means let’s burn this to the ground over……what?

Grundy53

WKR
It's the insight and analysis that is the purpose of discussion, not a right or wrong answer.

Seriously considered it, along with the 6.8 Western and 1:8 twist .270 Winchester.

Depends on what you want, and if you understand what that actually is, and what are the trade-offs.

Hence the discussion.

GR
Didn't seem like much of a discussion.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Hunter270Win

Lil-Rokslider

Hence the discussion.

GR
I agree. I don’t think it is a bad cartridge I just think that the cons outweigh the pros AND it doesn’t really do anything new. The .270 came out at a time where the world needed a flat shooting cartridge that could get the job done at distance. It had a bad rep at first due to it being too fast for cup and core bullets of the time so they had to slow it down from 3160~ fps to 3000 fps with a 130gr (later upped to 3060 fps in the end of the 20thcentury).

In today’s world of hunting we have a lot of people trying to min max and get the BEST latest and greatest thing possible. You don’t need camo Sitka gear and all that. You don’t need a $3000 scope or a .25 MOA (alleged) rifle, yes these things are fun and cool, but it turns hunting into shooting very quickly. The respect for game IMO is gone as well when people take these insane shots and never speak about the misses. Backfire has been exposing a lot of these clowns recently.

I just don’t know who the 6.5 PRC is for and what it’s really meant to do. It just seems useless and has no real meaning compared to cartridges that are already out. Seems like a waste of time and money for those who want the latest and greatest.

Grundy53

WKR
I just don’t know who the 6.5 PRC is for and what it’s really meant to do. It just seems useless and has no real meaning compared to cartridges that are already out. Seems like a waste of time and money for those who want the latest and greatest.

It's for anyone who wants an efficient mid caliber short action cartridge.

Hunter270Win

Lil-Rokslider
Just hopped in here:
- tough thread 😂
- page 6 reading comprehension comes out, one of my favorite “insults” for threads like this.
- .270 is cool. New cartridges can be too.
- The ad campaign theory is a fallacy. It didn’t get invented and assimilated overnight.
- Tiger lit the golf world up because he was different and could do things others could not, and won at an unprecedented rate. I mean, the Nike ads were good, but they didn’t “make” Tiger compelling to the more general population (call that hunters in the analogy). Ironically, the analogy is good though, just not how it was intended - creed is popular for lower recoil, better accuracy, better performance in being timed with better bullets. So everyone chambers it.
- campfire reference is true. We need a ban category for obstinate and uncontrolled responses. People who just get on here to argue contribute nothing need clipped.
- PSA: ego, insults, and overly argumentative posting is not a discussion, nor is it an effective way to make a point. It is pretty funny though, by all means let’s burn this to the ground over……what?

It's for anyone who wants an efficient mid caliber short action cartridge.

6.5 Creed, 7mm-08, .308 (still a small bore IMO), .243, 6.5x55 just to name a few….

NorCal 707

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a lot of rifle calibers and cartridges. I've sold two in the last 25 years. One was a 25 wssm and the other 6.5 PRC. I also kept the Creedmoor and my 25-06. I have a lot of overlap and my 270 wsm with an 8 twist does everything and then some compared to 6.5 PRC. I shoot 170 gain Bergers at 3030 fps and it's a nasty western cartridge for further than I ever want to shoot a big game animal. As mentioned a standard 270 win will pretty much duplicate the PRC out to 500 yds. That's plenty far for most hunting situations. I'm not a fan of any of the PRC's. I'll take my 280 AI over the 7 PRC and my 300 win over the 300 PRC. Animals are all very dead with the oldies.

WRO

WKR
I have a lot of rifle calibers and cartridges. I've sold two in the last 25 years. One was a 25 wssm and the other 6.5 PRC. I also kept the Creedmoor and my 25-06. I have a lot of overlap and my 270 wsm with an 8 twist does everything and then some compared to 6.5 PRC. I shoot 170 gain Bergers at 3030 fps and it's a nasty western cartridge for further than I ever want to shoot a big game animal. As mentioned a standard 270 win will pretty much duplicate the PRC out to 500 yds. That's plenty far for most hunting situations. I'm not a fan of any of the PRC's. I'll take my 280 AI over the 7 PRC and my 300 win over the 300 PRC. Animals are all very dead with the oldies.

That’s not true via what I’ve read on the internets.. old calibers bounce off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.