6.5 PRC Regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
The venerable '06 has been around longer than any of us and it is capable of killing anything on this planet even though it does not meet the African minimum. It would be a pretty boring world if we shooters and hunters were only limited to the one cartridge, thank God for wildcatters and cartridge developers over the past dozen decades. Spice is the variety of life, to each his own and who cares what we decide on for the cartridge du jour, it is our choice, and only ours. Big deal if many are duplicates in different shapes, that is what makes commerce work.

I don't get it either. This Garandimal has always been first and foremost a troll. He's the same "animal" over on 24HCF.

The more shooters that get in the game the better.

Now that your panties are in a bunch, little one?

Waiting for your explanation of what the 6.5 PRC does out to 300 yds, or even inside of 400 yds, better, to offset all the negatives it brings.

New hunters - can hunt with hunting cartridges as well.

Calm down first.

GR

I agree. I don’t think it is a bad cartridge I just think that the cons outweigh the pros AND it doesn’t really do anything new. The .270 came out at a time where the world needed a flat shooting cartridge that could get the job done at distance. It had a bad rep at first due to it being too fast for cup and core bullets of the time so they had to slow it down from 3160~ fps to 3000 fps with a 130gr (later upped to 3060 fps in the end of the 20thcentury).

In today’s world of hunting we have a lot of people trying to min max and get the BEST latest and greatest thing possible. You don’t need camo Sitka gear and all that. You don’t need a $3000 scope or a .25 MOA (alleged) rifle, yes these things are fun and cool, but it turns hunting into shooting very quickly. The respect for game IMO is gone as well when people take these insane shots and never speak about the misses. Backfire has been exposing a lot of these clowns recently.

I just don’t know who the 6.5 PRC is for and what it’s really meant to do. It just seems useless and has no real meaning compared to cartridges that are already out. Seems like a waste of time and money for those who want the latest and greatest.

Very correct on the analysis.

When taking a field shooting position in Five(5) seconds, and making a 3 MOA hit with a rifle on a game animal is hunting - the bench shooting dogmas and gear requirements fade pretty quick.

And that is Jeff Cooper's definition of field marksmanship, not mine.

GR

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
giphy.gif

Very correct on the analysis.

When taking a field shooting position in Five(5) seconds, and making a 3 MOA hit with a rifle on a game animal is hunting - the bench shooting dogmas and gear requirements fade pretty quick.

And that is Jeff Cooper's definition of field marksmanship, not mine.

Well since 99.99+% of hunters are going to fail way more than succeed when it comes to going from a relaxed situation to hitting a 3 MOA target in under 5 seconds, why is that pertinent to the discussion? Cuz Jeff Cooper said so?

Well since 99.99+% of hunters are going to fail way more than succeed when it comes to going from a relaxed situation to hitting a 3 MOA target in under 5 seconds, why is that pertinent to the discussion? Cuz Jeff Cooper said so?

3 MOA with an LPO, or 4 MOA with apertures, is just basic marksmanship.

Building a solid shooting position in Five seconds is no great feat either.

Hunting - that includes basic field marksmanship - just requires a different skill-set and equipment.

And all the bench-rest "white feather" gadgets are antithetical and counter productive.

That simple field marksmanship drill will prove it.

This is just field shooting, since the time of the musket.

RIP field marksmanship.

GR

3 MOA with an LPO, or 4 MOA with apertures, is just basic marksmanship.

Building a solid shooting position in Five seconds is no great feat either.

Hunting - that included basic field marksmanship - just requires a different skill-set and equipment.

And all the bench-rest "white feather" gadgets are antithetical and counter productive.

That simple field marksmanship drill will prove it.

This is just field shooting, since the time of the musket.

RIP field marksmanship.

GR

Let's see the video of you going from standing with rifle in hand to building a position without the gadgets and hitting 3 MOA targets reliably in under 5 seconds. I think you're full of it.

Gorp2007

WKR
The Baker Rifle was only required to achieve 11 of 12 hits on a 6 foot target at 300 yards during its trials by the British Army in 1800, so I’m not sure 3 MOA on demand accuracy can be considered a universally accepted field shooting standard dating back to the age of the musket.

And the Baker Rifle killed more French atheists than Jeff Cooper and all the .270s in the world combined.

Last edited:
Training must have gone down hill between the 1950's and whenever "Mike the Marine" was in..

Didn't ask him to demonstrate rapid-fire (standing to sitting) at 200 with a service rifle.

They asked his to do that "white feather" cult stuff.

GR

Gorp2007

WKR
Also, anyone who can maintain 3 MOA field accuracy on demand should consider signing up for a few of the CMP National Matches. The 10-ring is 7 inches across at a range of 200 yards. The current world record is 294, which means @Garandimal should be able to best that by six points with his perfect 300. Really teach the whippersnappers a thing about field shooting!

Also, anyone who can maintain 3 MOA field accuracy on demand should consider signing up for a few of the CMP National Matches. The 10-ring is 7 inches across at a range of 200 yards. The current world record is 294, which means @Garandimal should be able to best that by six points with his perfect 300. Really teach the whippersnappers a thing about field shooting!

This takes into account the 3-4 MOA precision of the M1 rifle and ball ammo.

On the other hand, 3 MOA is also 1-1/2" at 50 yards.

Spend 20 minutes shooting golf balls at that range with a .22 LR rifle, aperture sights or low-power optic, and then add the Five(5) second standing to field position.

Best $7 you will ever spend on field marksmanship.

GR

bmart2622

WKR
Let's see the video of you going from standing with rifle in hand to building a position without the gadgets and hitting 3 MOA targets reliably in under 5 seconds. I think you're full of it.
Ill second this!!! Lets see a video of you showing us how its done!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.