6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Elite

WKR
Got 10 of the 147s across the chrono. No pressure signs. ~75 degrees or so. I'm in the shade of a large tree. Whenever wife's friends who came over leave I'll shoot the 143s and update.

V6OZ5OJ.jpg

What length of barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I think he said earlier it is a tikka with a 19” barrel.
Yep. Got 4 143 shot yesterday and then they started working in field next door so I need to finish today. Similar velocity to 147 though

What will probably make the decision for me is If one lines up with quick drop or a wind # better than the other.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Will play with in the hornady app but minimal difference. Still need to shoot a group of each but expect both to be fine.

F4D35F5F-5085-41B5-828E-BB3F251794E3.jpeg

ljalberta

WKR
I had my first on-game experience with the CE 125gr Lazer this spring coming from an 18” 6.5CM. Approximately 415 yard shot with an impact velocity somewhere around 2250fps. Was a nice black bear with a steep quartering to angle. A single shot impacted the bear, which caused the bear to run for around 10-20 yards and then pile up under a tree.

I found the base of the bullet on the inside of the hide at the end of the wound channel. As we would already be getting back to camp at 1:00am and we were dealing with the bear via headlamp in grizz country, I didn’t dive into the chest cavity to explore the wound channel or search for the fragments that broke off.

I’m intrigued by these bullets so will try and get some photos of some wound channels later in the year.

Elite

WKR
Has anyone used the Hornady 140grn BTHP with a 6.5 creedmore? Local dealer has a good ale on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Shot 10 that I loaded up at 41.5gr H4350 with 147 ELD-M. I'd hoped to gain about 30-40 fps and not find pressure but that was not the case.

I do think that the rounds showing signs of pressure sat in the chamber longer, but for the minimal velocity gain over 41gr H4350 I'm just going to roll with 41gr and 2513fps and load up a few hundred.

On a side note I'm not sure what the deal with shot 5 is... 2728 with no pressure signs! I'm thinking chronograph error (magnetospeed sporter strapped to a supressor). I excluded that shot from my AVG/SD/ES (I also calc'd it excluding shot 6 but not sure how realistic that is). I know that shot 6 sat in the chamber while I looked at the case on 5 for pressure signs and shot 6 was the first case I saw an ejector mark on.

Cases in order 1-10 from top to bottom rows 4 & 5 (from the left). Cases showing pressure are row 5 (from left).

KbIAi65.jpg

1i6AF52.jpg

JGRaider

WKR
Shot 10 that I loaded up at 41.5gr H4350 with 147 ELD-M. I'd hoped to gain about 30-40 fps and not find pressure but that was not the case.

I do think that the rounds showing signs of pressure sat in the chamber longer, but for the minimal velocity gain over 41gr H4350 I'm just going to roll with 41gr and 2513fps and load up a few hundred.

On a side note I'm not sure what the deal with shot 5 is... 2728 with no pressure signs! I'm thinking chronograph error (magnetospeed sporter strapped to a supressor). I excluded that shot from my AVG/SD/ES (I also calc'd it excluding shot 6 but not sure how realistic that is). I know that shot 6 sat in the chamber while I looked at the case on 5 for pressure signs and shot 6 was the first case I saw an ejector mark on.

Cases in order 1-10 from top to bottom rows 4 & 5 (from the left). Cases showing pressure are row 5 (from left).

KbIAi65.jpg

1i6AF52.jpg

Use a slower powder like RL26 and you should easily reach 2700 fps, at least I do in my 20" CTR.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
A friend used a 6.5 Grendal to shoot a black bear out of a tree with a 123 gr ELDM. Damage was very impressive. The bullet hit the shoulder and smashed it. It was completely floppy when we skinned the bear. Either it was completely shattered or it might have broken it in two places due to the shoulder being bunched up. In any case, the bullet went through the shoulder bone, into the chest and exited out the far ribs. I didn't see an bullet fragments. Not a huge black bear but not tiny either. I would feel comfortable using this combo again and on bigger game than this bear.

20240622_031606.jpg