6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Red stag shot up high above the bushline last month during our rut here in NZ. 6.5cm 20” barrel, Hornady 140gr ELD-M factory ammo. 2600fps hitting at 2150fps (372yds)

Wind blew the bullet just forward of the shoulder and hit the spine, saw him go straight down ass first. I struggled to work out where I hit him to begin with, as there was no obvious entry wound (the mane gets very long and thick during the rut) and there was no exit as the bullet had disintegrated along with the spinal column. The offside skin kept everything in.

No necropsy photos sorry, I was solo with a heap of work to do!
Damn that is some cool looking country! Congrats on the Stag too nice work!

Red stag shot up high above the bushline last month during our rut here in NZ. 6.5cm 20” barrel, Hornady 140gr ELD-M factory ammo. 2600fps hitting at 2150fps (372yds)

Wind blew the bullet just forward of the shoulder and hit the spine, saw him go straight down ass first. I struggled to work out where I hit him to begin with, as there was no obvious entry wound (the mane gets very long and thick during the rut) and there was no exit as the bullet had disintegrated along with the spinal column. The offside skin kept everything in.

No necropsy photos sorry, I was solo with a heap of work to do!
Looks like a dream hunt, congrats and good shooting!

Thanks! This is my ‘backyard’ - it ended up just being a three day trip as I got the stag on the second day. We have no season and no limits here so the opportunities are almost endless…. Plus great track networks and public hut access makes for great outdoor adventures! Nothing poisonous to bite you, and no predators either

You Kiwis are good marksmen too. Nathan Forester comes to mind. I watch a lot of You Tube videos of guys dropping feral goats at obscene distances.

d8fe36cd1ba5ac46eed6a055609d2ce7.jpg

e4cde5ed72a5da921dc260bc84dcdb6b.jpg

8’8 grizz, factory hornady 140 eld-murder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back