6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
(y)
Wasn't my thread, but just last year my group was lucky to recover a cow that got shot by a 300wm/swift scirocco. It was only a 200y shot but assumed a miss after hours of searching for blood. Luckily my buddy and I happened to be on the ridge the herd ran to and found her at least a half mile from the shot and 4 hours later by pure luck. The wound went through the liver and the back of the lungs, scirocco looking like a perfect advertisement on the opposite side. I'm not a .223 convert, but I also don't believe heavy magnums are quite the terminal safety blanket some people think they are.
The problem is the bullet. A tmk or eldm would likely have shortened the distance traveled after the shot significantly.

This thread has a wealth of good information in it. Thank you to those who have contributed. I purchased a stainless Model 70 in 6.5 Creedmoor last year and it will be my go-to deer rifle for the foreseeable future.

Young buck taken on the closing morning of Zone C deer season which happened to fall on my birthday this year. 37° is cold for central Florida! My first 6.5 Creedmoor kill with my tikka CTR that I put together this fall. 80yd freehand shot as he was quartering away so I tucked a 143gr eld-x into the ribs not wanting to vaporize a shoulder at such close range. I doubt he went 75yds at a slow and confused trot before piling up. Nice exit with a trail Ray Charles could have followed.

View attachment 667379
nice looking stick. What scope you running?

nice looking stick. What scope you running?
Thanks! It’s actually a Primary Arms glx 4-16x50. Pretty impressed with it for the money. Have only taken it to 1k so far in field conditions but I have zero complaints. I even watched a YouTube video of a guy dropping his repeatedly and it held zero so I’m sticking with it. Just had a buddy order the new Maven RS 3.2 so I’m interested in seeing that in person as well.

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Axis doe 150 yards 140 ELDM. Shot quartering to went through front shoulder, lungs, guts, back leg and bullet got stuck in the hide. Didn’t go more than 10 yards with good blood. There was so much trama that when going through the stomach/lungs it blew a hole in the top/backstrap and got a little destroyed.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    869.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4723.jpeg
    IMG_4723.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4725.jpeg
    IMG_4725.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 101

Unckebob

WKR
Axis doe 150 yards 140 ELDM. Shot quartering to went through front shoulder, lungs, guts, back leg and bullet got stuck in the hide. Didn’t go more than 10 yards with good blood. There was so much trama that when going through the stomach/lungs it blew a hole in the top/backstrap and got a little destroyed.

In light of the back strap damage, do you intend to switch bullets?

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Reading through here seems like the
130 TGK, 140/147 ELDm, and 143 ELDx are the Rokslide special. If you could only have 1 which are you picking?

Toying with a 6.5 Creed hunting rifle, I have a target rifle so a hunting rifle would be a good addition for component sharing. I do reload.

Western muley and pronghorn is my target species. I wouldn't mind being able to run it on elk SHOULD the need arise, but it wont be the first gun i grab.. I do plan on running the rifle in at least 1 NRL Hunter shoot a year so I want a projectile that's easier to source and economical. 140 ELDm seems to be the ticket but any others worth looking at.l?

130 TGK, 140/147 ELDm, and 143 ELDx are the Rokslide special. If you could only have 1 which are you picking?

Toying with a 6.5 Creed hunting rifle, I have a target rifle so a hunting rifle would be a good addition for component sharing. I do reload.

Western muley and pronghorn is my target species. I wouldn't mind being able to run it on elk SHOULD the need arise, but it wont be the first gun i grab.. I do plan on running the rifle in at least 1 NRL Hunter shoot a year so I want a projectile that's easier to source and economical. 140 ELDm seems to be the ticket but any others worth looking at.l?

I chose 140 eldm for my 18” creedmoor since it has a slower velocity and shouldn’t have the fragmentation up close and the 156 Bergers for the prc due to the big jump in bc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider

If you're only going to shoot one bullet with the rifle and don't reload I'd say bulk buy 143gr ELDx and be set, but I reload so I buy the 147gr ELDm factory loaded for steel/targets and then reload it with 130gr TMK for hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Forgot to post this.

Elk, 156gr Berger.

First shot, liver, 2,500’ish FPS impact-
IMG_6751.jpeg

Second shot, lungs, 2,600’ish FPS impact-
IMG_6752.jpeg

IMG_6753.jpeg

Elk walked a few yards and stopped, third shot base of neck through spine, 2,600’ish FPS impact-
IMG_6754.jpeg

JGRaider

WKR
If I'm having to pick one high BC bullet for game in my CM, it's easily going to be a 139 Scenar, followed by 147 ELDM.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider

I’d shoot (and do so) the 130 TMK.

130 ELDM, higher initial velocity so less compensation in holdover at normal hunting distances
The creed needs all the speed you can muster