6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Anybody have any idea what bullet Sig is using in the Elite copper Hunting 120 gn round? Loving the accuracy I am getting on steel out to 800 yards but no idea how they perform on game. I am in California so I can’t use the eld m like I do in Idaho.

Lot's keep talking about the 130 TMK. Is it that much better than the 143 eldx or 147 eldm which I am currently using?

@General RE LEE

It took me a couple days however here is the mule deer I wrote about. 130gr Berger Hybrid AR OTM, five shots. All impacts were 1,870’ish FPS, and either broadside or slightly quartering away-
2F94E947-E6F9-4C2D-B3F1-F23D96762152.jpeg

Numbered in order-
82D50595-57D1-4CEC-85A7-77C5109E7DEB.jpeg

The buck paused briefly and shot number one was stationary. The rest were as he alternated between fast walking and trotting for about 70 yards. Shot 5 broke spine and he dropped of course.

Skinned-
690E8BD9-2286-42B4-A249-00DBC5958EA7.jpeg

Numbered-
EF03BEEF-43E0-4A3D-A652-C3FB729DB419.jpeg

Zero observable upset in 4 of the 5 bullets.

A couple days prior, this elk was killed using the same rifle, and again at 1,850-1,870’ish FPS impact.
59DBE406-D3E9-4F62-BA98-4EEC4C23DF11.jpeg

I haven’t been able to find the pictures of him skinned as they are on old phones, however the results were near identical to the mule deer- 6 shots all bisecting the lungs as he walked for about 60-70 yards. 1 out of 6 showed signs of upset.

The results have been consistent when impacts were below 2,050fps or so. This was confirmed in testing.

In contrast, this is what they consistenly do above that 2,050’ish FPS-
95865310-2CFA-4BCB-8684-180E6E2B83EB.jpeg

In their operating window. they work very well. Everyone if of course free to do as they please, however I would be cautious of going off of people that have not used them enough at that 1,800fps range, or have only hit bone doing so.

Wife and I killed mule deer side by side just shy of 300. 2 antelope from 270-330. Bear at 270. Multiple whitetails sub 100. A little raghorn this year at 50 yards. All kills were with 143gr ELD-x. Tikka has been a great rifle so far and impressed with the 6.5CM. Been more impressed with the shots past 200. Used the last of my ELD-X. Will be trying handloads with 140 ELDMs for this fall.

Got a tikka 6.5 creedmoor at the smith getting the barrel cut to 20” and threaded to run suppressed. Have Berger 140 Berger vld hunting and some 143 eldx I’ll try in it when I get it back

I have a Tikka .308 and 7RM running factory Fed Prem Barnes TSX. The .308 has had 4 kills from 75-225 and no issues with that bullet at those distances. 7RM has not been hunted yet.

I am building a Tikka lite stainless 6.5 cm and I bought a compact stock for the kids to hunt with. Cut the barrel to 22" and threaded with a break.

Im in CA so were stuck with copper only and I was wondering what has been best in the copper bullet for the 6.5? I am hopeful the 127LRX is shoots well.

Its seams that the coppers need 2,000fps to open and not pass through like a FMJ so even with good energy I will be limited (.308 mostly, 6.5 is great for this).

Last edited:
I have a Tikka .308 and 7RM running factory Fed Prem Barnes TSX. The .308 has had 4 kills from 75-225 and no issues with that bullet at those distances. 7RM has not been hunted yet.

I am building a Tikka lite stainless 6.5 cm and I bought a compact stock for the kids to hunt with. Cut the barrel to 22" and threaded with a break.

Im in CA so were stuck with copper only and I was wondering what has been best in the copper bullet for the 6.5? I am hopeful the 127LRX is shoots well.

Its seams that the coppers need 2,000fps to open and not pass through light a FMJ so even with good energy I will be limited (.308 mostly, 6.5 is great for this).
I am a hammer fan. If nothing else they’re so easy to load for and have killed well for myself and buddies from point blank to 2000fps impact (lowest tested so far)

Just worked up a 6.5 creedmoor load for my tikka. Took about 10 shots (basically using forms load development method). 110gr hammer hunter at 3100fps. Using Varget and hornady brass. My wife shoots the same bullet down at 2850 fps for less recoil. That bullet has performed well for her on 6 or so animals so far.

Monos kind of suck, I’m stuck with them too in CA, but hammers have worked fine for me better than TTSX and GMX in terms of load development and terminal performance. Losing track but it’s somewhere between 30-40 animals now without a whole lot of drama. Super easy to develop an accurate load which is nice.

It's seams that the coppers need 2,000fps to open and not pass through like a FMJ so even with good energy I will be limited (.308 mostly, 6.5 is great for this).

Do you children a solid and cut the barrel to 20". My 6.5CM came with a 22" threaded, spiral fluted threaded barrel. If it weren't for the fluting, I would cut mine.

@Formidilosus &, well, anyone really.

I know it's a tougher bullet than the ELD-M/X or TMK, but i have hundreds & they shoot great.

Anyone have any first hand experience with the 130gr TGK Gamechanger? Preferably at sensible ranges (<500yds) I'm no long range hunter & I'd prefer to stay inside of 3 bills where i can. I'm going to be taking The Swede elk hunting this year & not having to buy another flavor of bullet would be great. But I'll switch to 140 ELD-Ms if consensus dictates.
Factory loaded ammo from Sierra, 285yds, first shot dropped him, 2nd was a up close follow up

Attachments

• 358CDC8F-C3A2-4DEB-B0D6-EEAF0A08D9B9.jpeg
    358CDC8F-C3A2-4DEB-B0D6-EEAF0A08D9B9.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 67
For the lead free people.

G9 Defense’s 113gr Brass bullet. 12.5” barreled 6.5 CM. The bottom right group was “seasoning” rounds as they state that you must have a completely clean barrel to shoot the brass bullets. The top left is the second 10 round group at just under 2’ish MOA. Will true velocity tomorrow, but the 12.5” will make it easier to see how the bullet performs at low impact velocities.
FBC0FD35-F90D-46E3-AEA0-67AF553E4B12.jpeg

that will be something if it happens. I gave up on those ever coming back and bought 2k of the 140 eldm 2 weeks ago.

@General RE LEE

It took me a couple days however here is the mule deer I wrote about. 130gr Berger Hybrid AR OTM, five shots. All impacts were 1,870’ish FPS, and either broadside or slightly quartering away-
View attachment 533732

Numbered in order-
View attachment 533733

The buck paused briefly and shot number one was stationary. The rest were as he alternated between fast walking and trotting for about 70 yards. Shot 5 broke spine and he dropped of course.

Skinned-
View attachment 533734

Numbered-
View attachment 533735

A couple days prior, this elk was killed using the same rifle, and again at 1,850-1,870’ish FPS impact.
View attachment 533736

I haven’t been able to find the pictures of him skinned as they are on old phones, however the results were near identical to the mule deer- 6 shots all bisecting the lungs as he walked for about 60-70 yards. 1 out of 6 showed signs of upset.

The results have been consistent when impacts were below 2,050fps or so. This was confirmed in testing.

In contrast, this is what they Damn, did this deer sleep with your wife or something?
@General RE LEE

View attachment 533732

Numbered in order-
View attachment 533733

Skinned-
View attachment 533734

Numbered-
View attachment 533735

View attachment 533736

In contrast, this is what they consistenly do above that 2,050’ish FPS-
View attachment 533731

In their operating window. they work very well. Everyone if of course free to do as they please, however I would be cautious of going off of people that have not used them enough at that 1,800fps range, or have only hit bone doing so.
Damn, did that deer in the first pic sleep with your wife or something?

Standby for 130 TMK to hit the shelves!!!

I have some inbound direct from Sierra
I got the same email from Sierra because I’ve been bugging/harassing them regularly about when they would make more of these. They have boxes of 100 available, but haven’t got the 500 count available yet. There is no discount for the bigger boxes. I didn’t ask how big of a run they were doing.

Back