6.5 creed vs 30-06

Laramie

WKR
So what is more important when it comes to deciding what gun to take? Energy? Velocity? I have my 3006 setup and its taken deer, sheep and elk with it but also have my 6.5 cm dialed in and the 6.5 beats the 06 in velocity and energy.
Where exactly does the 6.5 cm beat the 30-06 in velocity or energy?

6.5 CM 143 grain
1677797295635.png

30-06 165 grain
1677797355262.png

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Now the 6.5 PRC on the other hand does slightly pull ahead of the 30-06 at 400 yards.
View attachment 524624
If 6.5 PRC was as common as 30-06 I'd get one. In the meantime I will stick with 30-06. 30-06 is sort of a legacy round in that it is a jack of all trades but it really carries a lot more power than necessary for most people's applications. If history were different and American hunting culture was not so tightly coupled with military surplus I think you would not see the 06 being all the glory that it is today. 30-06 really for me wins because of all around practicality and versatility. I have no concerns using it on any north America game animal. It has abundant ammo selections. If you reload it offers an incredible number of combinations. Regardless i prefer 30-06 for these reasons. It's a jack of all trades, master of none but it gets close. Its not a great PRS round but for hunting if you had to have one gun period it is hard to beat. It's cost effective, it works, nuff said. Alternatively if you shoot deer and you want to also do competition and you don't mind a heavy gun it is a great rifle. For people arguing recoil sensitivity my wife who is 5'5 weighs 100lbs has no problem with a t3x super light 30-06. I think you can get over recoil sensitivity barring major trauma such as scope gauge from your childhood. The 30-06 really just doesn't kick all that bad. 223 make a better training round for kiddos anyhow, it's cheaper, great for coyotes (training) and even less recoil. If I wanted a flatter gun than my 06 I'd get a 270. I'm sorry I'm just and 06 fanboy haha. One day I'd also like a 22-250 flat shooters are probably a lot of fun.

TxxAgg

WKR
If 6.5 PRC was as common as 30-06 I'd get one. In the meantime I will stick with 30-06. 30-06 is sort of a legacy round in that it is a jack of all trades but it really carries a lot more power than necessary for most people's applications. If history were different and American hunting culture was not so tightly coupled with military surplus I think you would not see the 06 being all the glory that it is today. 30-06 really for me wins because of all around practicality and versatility. I have no concerns using it on any north America game animal. It has abundant ammo selections. If you reload it offers an incredible number of combinations. Regardless i prefer 30-06 for these reasons. It's a jack of all trades, master of none but it gets close. Its not a great PRS round but for hunting if you had to have one gun period it is hard to beat. It's cost effective, it works, nuff said. Alternatively if you shoot deer and you want to also do competition and you don't mind a heavy gun it is a great rifle. For people arguing recoil sensitivity my wife who is 5'5 weighs 100lbs has no problem with a t3x super light 30-06. I think you can get over recoil sensitivity barring major trauma such as scope gauge from your childhood. The 30-06 really just doesn't kick all that bad. 223 make a better training round for kiddos anyhow, it's cheaper, great for coyotes (training) and even less recoil. If I wanted a flatter gun than my 06 I'd get a 270. I'm sorry I'm just and 06 fanboy haha. One day I'd also like a 22-250 flat shooters are probably a lot of fun.
You're not understanding "recoil sensitivity" correctly. Lots of threads about it if you search.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
In the field I doubt you can see a difference with big game.

Come on man for just deer??? There is no doubt the 6.5 Creedmoor if its strictly between that and the 30-06. You do NOT need a 30-06 for deer.

So apples to apples (ELD-X factory cartridges), the 6.5CM edges past the 30-06 in velocity at 300 yards. "Energy" the 30-06 carries more out to 1,000 yds. Drop and wind drift to to the 6.5CM.

I don't believe in "knockdown power" anymore, but rather bullet placement and bullet terminal performance. With much less recoil, I'd bet 100% of hunters would make better shots and spot their shots more often with the 6.5 manbun.

6.5PRC it's not really close.

6.5CM
6.5Bal.jpg

30-06
3006Bal.png

(Sorry about the thread-jack, but I gotta make a point here)

I always gotta laugh/smrk when some douche does the whole "pee sitting down" comment. And here's why.

At 23yo.. I was killin myself in the Gym, pushing it really hard. One night, I turn over in my bed, but while doing so my "boys" managed to get caught somehow by my thighs and pulled, so the ow woke me right up. Upon this happening, I realize the feeling of needing to go piss. So I go over to the bathroom and proceed to piss, standing-up.

Well... there's this physiological thing where when men begin their stream, their blood pressure drops. (what contributes to that brief all-over body feeling/sensation that'll sometimes make you wanna shiver for a split second).

Well, that phenomenon... coupled together with brutally overtraining... well... I passed-out mid-stream.

And if you take my height at standing, in front of the toilet, and lay it over onto the ground... well... my head... specifically across my temple thru my ear.... whacked right across the sharp 90 degree edge of the step-over threshold to the standup shower stall that was on the other side of the small bathroom.

When I came to... I saw my 1st wife standing over me, worried, calling out my name. I could hear my heart-beat in my ear.... I reached up to investigate with my fingers, and found out I had blood pumping out of my ear.

Expensive @ss ambulance ride to the hospital. Basal Skull Fx. So Observation. Then they send me home.

Next day.. I wake up... and half my face is paralyzed!!! I can't close my eyelid... I can't do much of anything with the lips on that side... whole face drooping on that side.

So the figuring is... with the basal skull fx, with the white blood cells rushing in, that caused pressure, and since it was near to a foramin whole in your skull where the facial nerves come thru from the inside to the out... the figuring was the inflammation pushed onto the nerves. And nerves are very sensitive to stuff like that.. hence the paralysis.

Had to goto several appts to an ENT guy where it used a Facial Nerve Stimulator. They put the ground wire like on your wrist.. then with this wand he proceeds to stimulate the muscles that nerve trunk would control. The thought is it sends a stimuli back up the wire, helping to get the connection back online. That, plus prednisone to help attack the inflammation local to the trauma site.

I bothered to interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to let you all know to not give a flying fizzuck about some yahoo trying to yank your chain with a "pee sitting down" comment. And to futher tell you... that if you're feeling any kind of out of it, or tired, or whipped/pooped/drunk/whatever and you have any doubts... sit your @ss down and do that isht!

EDIT: To further add color and impress upon you all the seriousness of it. I couldn't blink that side or close that sides eyelid. I had to wear an eye patch and lube up that eye. I had to hold that eye shut while in the shower and soaping scrubbing head/face. Imagine being a young 23yo and having half your face go paralyzed! Oh.. and you don't know this... but everytime you chew, milisecond before your teeth come together there is a muscle that kicks in and holds your lips AWAY from your teeth. That muscle along with others wasn't working on the "bad" side. I cannot tell you... how many times I took a full-on crunching bite onto my lip meat on that side, during that whole ordeal.
Instead of now peeing sitting down you should have just rubbed some dirt on it and got on with things. I mean, all you did was bump your head for crying out loud.

bmart2622

WKR
143gr for 6.5 and 178gr for 30-06. These are the factory ELD-X cartridge ballistics with claimed muzzle velocities.

Apples to apples.
Not quite apples to apples but ok, when you factor in the added bullet weight and larger frontal diameter the nod would go to the 30-06. Unless a guy is only shooting deer sized game then blast away with the CM

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Not quite apples to apples but ok, when you factor in the added bullet weight and larger frontal diameter the nod would go to the 30-06. Unless a guy is only shooting deer sized game then blast away with the CM
Probably take a gifted forensic scientist to tell the difference between those to bullets on big game.

bmart2622

WKR
You could probably say the same about several other calibers as well. Although its pretty easy to tell when 1 cartridge takes multiple shots to bring down an animal or doesn't kill the animal at all. If Im hunting anything bigger than deer there is no chance Im taking a CM.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
You could probably say the same about several other calibers as well. Although its pretty easy to tell when 1 cartridge takes multiple shots to bring down an animal or doesn't kill the animal at all. If Im hunting anything bigger than deer there is no chance Im taking a CM.
I don’t believe you need more shots with a 6.5 than a .30, that would be a product of the skill of the shooter for both.