6.5 creed vs 30-06

I couldn’t disagree more. Spotting your shot even at close range is a big deal. Knowing what happened, how the animal reacted, and where it went can make a huge difference.

Be happy using whatever you want but having used both I can say my experience is the opposite.
I appreciate what you're saying. And I say this to everybody who liked your post as well.

Here is what I said: "This one point can make someone who doesn't have a lot of field experience fear if they can't see their shot in the scope then something's wrong. I disagree with that. The caveat here would be if one is shooting at extended range and realistically couldn't see the animal with anything other than an optical aid".

What I'm saying is I don't have a problem judging animals reaction even though it may not be through a scope at the distances I hunt.

I wasn't referring to shooting in the sense of being blind afterward. No, I've never been with down that and agree with you 100%.

Last edited:

landon509

FNG
Anything the 6.5 creedmoor can do the 6.5 prc can do better. After shooting factory PRC ammo I found it was preforming better than what I was trying to push my creedmoor reloads to do. If you’re on the fence about knock down power it may be worth the look

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Formidilosus I shot my buck antelope this year at 95 yards hard quartering away. Shot went in behind the last rib angling toward the offside shoulder. He dropped like a ton of bricks. Never flinched. I was shooting 180 ELDMS at 2775fps MV. No exit, no broken offside shoulder. The bullet didn’t get outside the chest cavity on the opposite side. The question is, did I have just enough bullet, more than enough bullet, or way more than enough bullet. Would an 88gr eldm penetrate far enough through the guts to get into the good stuff? What if it was a 600lb bull elk? I’m not sure, I was just really surprised an 80lb antelope stopped full penetration.

mt100gr.

WKR
Anything the 6.5 creedmoor can do the 6.5 prc can do better. After shooting factory PRC ammo I found it was preforming better than what I was trying to push my creedmoor reloads to do. If you’re on the fence about knock down power it may be worth the look.
How do you measure "knock down power"? (Units? Quantified?)

mt100gr.

WKR
@Formidilosus I shot my buck antelope this year at 95 yards hard quartering away. Shot went in behind the last rib angling toward the offside shoulder. He dropped like a ton of bricks. Never flinched. I was shooting 180 ELDMS at 2775fps MV. No exit, no broken offside shoulder. The bullet didn’t get outside the chest cavity on the opposite side. The question is, did I have just enough bullet, more than enough bullet, or way more than enough bullet. Would an 88gr eldm penetrate far enough through the guts to get into the good stuff? What if it was a 600lb bull elk? I’m not sure, I was just really surprised an 80lb antelope stopped full penetration.
I've had a couple of these head scratchers, myself....

Shot a mule deer buck at 300yds with a 215 Berger leaving at 2925fps. Gave it a bit too much elevation and hit high. There was a grapefruit sized crater in the top of the bucks shoulder and no exit. It piss-pounded him, but I was pretty surprised....

Every other 215 Berger I have sent or seen hit a critter has been nothing short of impressive in terminal performance.

Definitely a one off WTF. 🤷

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Tissue is tissue. There is nothing “tougher” in an elks chest than any other game animal. At that range and impact velocity with that bullet you’ll get 12-14” of penetration minimum on average- it doesn’t matter if it’s on elk or a coyote. The difference in high velocity impact penetration between a 180gr ELD-M and an 88gr ELD-M is at most a couple inches, and generally within an inch of each other.
The hardest thing for a bullet to get through in the exit side is the hide- that’s why so many bullets are found just under it. Next is the offside shoulder, and I mean muscle and bone. Almost universally if a bullet makes it to both lungs in an antelope or deer, it will do so in an elk. The animals is larger overall, but they’re all slab-sided, I.E.- narrow.

As for getting through guts- having seen well over hundred game animals gut shot, there is no bullet that will guarantee getting through a stomach packed full of grass. I and those I hunt with have caught plenty of Barnes, and other 30 and 338cal monos in stomachs. When there is such an angle that it would require going through stomach to get to the chest, the target you need to hit is pretty small left to right. At that point, why wouldn’t you just shoot them in the neck?

There’s a way higher percentage of a quick end on a steeply quartering away shot either putting it in the neck, or going for the base of the hip socket- either way a second shot will most likely be required. From what I’ve seen and what others generally that have killed a lot state as well- steep quartering away shots where people try to put a bullet through the stomach to get to the chest, have have about a 70-80% chance of needing a second shot anyways. Only about 50% of those shots make it to both lungs, regardless of what bullet is used.

Not saying you are doing so here, but people generally try to go to the “well what about raking/rear end shots”, and just like when 800 yard shooting comes up, my general response is always- “don’t”. Shooting animals in anything other than pure chest hits is a recipe for disaster as very few have the skill to pull it off. Even if someone does, it’s messy and the animals don’t just die.

Anything the 6.5 creedmoor can do the 6.5 prc can do better. After shooting factory PRC ammo I found it was preforming better than what I was trying to push my creedmoor reloads to do. If you’re on the fence about knock down power it may be worth the look

I sold my 6.5 PRC because everything the PRC does, my 6.5 Creedmoor can do just as well with double the barrel life, more available reloading components and less recoil.

Tissue is tissue. There is nothing “tougher” in an elks chest than any other game animal. At that range and impact velocity with that bullet you’ll get 12-14” of penetration minimum on average- it doesn’t matter if it’s on elk or a coyote. The difference in high velocity impact penetration between a 180gr ELD-M and an 88gr ELD-M is at most a couple inches, and generally within an inch of each other.
The hardest thing for a bullet to get through in the exit side is the hide- that’s why so many bullets are found just under it. Next is the offside shoulder, and I mean muscle and bone. Almost universally if a bullet makes it to both lungs in an antelope or deer, it will do so in an elk. The animals is larger overall, but they’re all slab-sided, I.E.- narrow.

As for getting through guts- having seen well over hundred game animals gut shot, there is no bullet that will guarantee getting through a stomach packed full of grass. I and those I hunt with have caught plenty of Barnes, and other 30 and 338cal monos in stomachs. When there is such an angle that it would require going through stomach to get to the chest, the target you need to hit is pretty small left to right. At that point, why wouldn’t you just shoot them in the neck?

There’s a way higher percentage of a quick end on a steeply quartering away shot either putting it in the neck, or going for the base of the hip socket- either way a second shot will most likely be required. From what I’ve seen and what others generally that have killed a lot state as well- steep quartering away shots where people try to put a bullet through the stomach to get to the chest, have have about a 70-80% chance of needing a second shot anyways. Only about 50% of those shots make it to both lungs, regardless of what bullet is used.

Not saying you are doing so here, but people generally try to go to the “well what about raking/rear end shots”, and just like when 800 yard shooting comes up, my general response is always- “don’t”. Shooting animals in anything other than pure chest hits is a recipe for disaster as very few have the skill to pull it off. Even if someone does, it’s messy and the animals don’t just die.
@Ucsdryder I had a similar result on a coues deer with a 300 WSM, 208 ELD M at 2900 MV, 400 yard shot. He was quartered hard away, bullet went in behind the last rib and ended up underneath the offside shoulder. After doing a bit of an autopsy, my conclusion was the same as Form's above; stomachs full of grass are serious bullet catchers. I've seen it on a couple other instances but that one was the most profound. Heavy, 30 cal bullet on a very small deer species and no exit. The wound channel was massive and the deer went down quickly but like you I was surprised that there wasn't an exit.
This incident, along with a few others, showed that my "big" 30 wasn't doing much if anything that my previous 6.5 wasn't. Mostly just generating a lot of recoil and making it harder to spot hits. As a result I'm going back to a smaller caliber to increase shoot ability and ability to spot my own impacts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk